How do I get started in Golf?

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2021, 09:45 AM
Default How do I get started in Golf?

After arriving at The Villages, I realized how integral golf is to the lifestyle here. I’m thinking that I’d like to learn as a way of becoming more active and well, get into the swing of things! But I’ve never played before, and frankly I’m a bit intimidated by it. Wondering if I should hire a pro, read a book, etc. I’d like to get my husband involved too, but if not, can I do it alone? (I actually know of someone who does play by himself, accompanied by his wife.)
All suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2021, 10:35 AM

Go on YouTube, lots of good learning skills, and it is FREE
Old 12-02-2021, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

For a more "hands on" approach, there are several "Golf Academies" in TV. They have a 5 day course that will teach you the basics, the rules and the etiquette of the game...

But to really start to play, you must learn to "Address the ball"...

Address The Ball - YouTube

-Tom Petty
Old 12-02-2021, 11:10 AM

Like anything it's important to know what your learning style is. Some people can take a class and others need more one-on-one. The best thing I ever did was take a golf class offered at a local community college. It was cheap, I needed a PhyEd credit for my degree I was taking at night school, but it broke everything down to get you started. I was in a class of about 15 people but still got some individual attention. I had been playing prior to that with lessons from friends and family and I could never break 100. After the class I was usually in the 90's and taking some more focused one-on-one time with a pro, I usually play in the 80's and have broke 70 a couple of times.

Just be sure to understand why you are playing and what your goals are. Have fun and don't expect to play like Tiger.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:10 AM

I started 5 years ago from scratch and took group lessons in California. I was told by a pro that you won't play well for at least 4 years or more depending on your age and abilities and flexibility. So just go out and have fun. It will take years to get where you are enjoying golf fully. Also no matter how good you get, like paid golf pros, they still hit a ball in the wrong direction sometimes. See about lessons at the Sarasota driving range. And hitting over water should be fun there since it doesn't really matter where the ball goes at first and after a few years you will be able to control the ball. Golf is really fun after a few years.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Start here
Villages Good Golf School
Good Golf School

Then go here - learn to golf at Villages Golf Academy
Golf The Villages

I would then repeat the good golf school.

Plan to play executive courses - as you’re learning, late afternoon/evening is a good time to not be intimidated by people behind you
Find a friend/neighbor who golfs, to go with you, to explain things.

You’ll need clubs. Depends on your budget. Get something cheap that you can take to the academy. Find an instructor, take more lessons, talk to him/her about new clubs.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele201 View Post
After arriving at The Villages, I realized how integral golf is to the lifestyle here. I’m thinking that I’d like to learn as a way of becoming more active and well, get into the swing of things! But I’ve never played before, and frankly I’m a bit intimidated by it. Wondering if I should hire a pro, read a book, etc. I’d like to get my husband involved too, but if not, can I do it alone? (I actually know of someone who does play by himself, accompanied by his wife.)
A lot of good information here:
Golf The Villages
Old 12-02-2021, 11:32 AM
Default Villages Golf Academy

Quote:
Welcome to The Villages.

The Villages Golf Academy has a new to golf school that is for people who have never played before and want to get started. Don' t know cost but you can reach them at (352)259-8121 or (352)259-2077 for more information. There are individual and group classes available. They should be able to answer any questions you might have and advise you as to what equipment you will need to get started.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:48 AM

it is easier to learn good habits if you haven't developed bad habits already. With that in mind, I would encourage you to take a series of lessons right from the beginning. The Village based golf schools are good. You might want to explore off campus venues as well. Women sometimes prefer a female coach. If that describes you, consider Sandra Chester at the Continental Country club off Route 44 ((352) 751-5122). Steve Wresh who teaches there is also pretty good.

When you get out on the course, don't worry about getting good hits all the time. Every time I think I am going to have a good round, my evil twin shows up to dish me a big serving of humble pie.

So relax and enjoy being outdoors in the sunshine.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 12-02-2021, 12:29 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,195 Times in 761 Posts

When we arrived here we didn't play golf either. Took a few lessons, went to the driving range, practiced at the practice greens and got in with others that were new to golf, now we play on a regular basis.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGR720 View Post
Welcome to The Villages.

The Villages Golf Academy has a new to golf school that is for people who have never played before and want to get started. Don' t know cost but you can reach them at (352)259-8121 or (352)259-2077 for more information. There are individual and group classes available. They should be able to answer any questions you might have and advise you as to what equipment you will need to get started.
Very good advice.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:56 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Start with YouTube. The real issue with lessons is they show you a good golf swing but your body may have limitations which do not allow you to swing that way. At least they give you the fundamentals. Play and have fun. Lots of trial and error
Old 12-02-2021, 02:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Golf very hard and it takes very long time to somewhat master several swings in golf. Yes, if you serious you need to be fitted with set or clubs. As suggested attend classes, take lessons, and practice EVERY day. After all that you may still need further swing instructions to correct all the little thing wrong that developed along the learning process. Golf is not cheap you have to be financially commended also it you even want to be even average golfer.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:31 PM
Platinum member

Saw several posters who suggested getting a lesson via the internet. This might work for some people. Do suggest taking a series of lessons offered through TV. This way you can learn etiquette, basic swing etc.

Enjoy and have a lot of patience.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisport View Post
I was told by a pro that you won't play well for at least 4 years or more ...
You spelled "decades" wrong...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
i’d, i’m, golf, suggestions, wondering

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.