Bugs and Critters coming up through the drains!!!

Closed Thread
Old 03-09-2022, 10:31 AM
Default Bugs and Critters coming up through the drains!!!

I hear people are so afraid of this they cover the drains in the house when they go away. I think it is bunk.
Old 03-09-2022, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,518 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom W View Post
I hear people are so afraid of this they cover the drains in the house when they go away. I think it is bunk.
Which is bunk? That bugs come up through the drain? Or that people are so afraid of it they cover the drains when they go away?

Here's some info for ya:

1. Bugs come up through the drain.
2. Some people really do cover their drains when they go away to prevent bugs from coming up through the drain.
3. Sometimes, small critters will find their way up the drain as well - frogs in particular.
4. Often, bugs will come in through open doors and spaces between screen windows and the windowsill, and use drains as their nesting location. They lay eggs under the flap of the kitchen sink drain and one day you'll notice upon rinsing the dishes that there are a dozen tiny little flies hopping around the sink. Congrats - you now have a household of adorable baby fruit flies.

It happens.
Old 03-09-2022, 10:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Not sure what bunk is but…

I cover things when gone. After 6 months water in traps and toilets can evaporate so I add Plastic wrap over the toilets and tape the sinks and showers. If only going to be gone a few weeks to a month I don’t do any of it. Not sure why you might have an issue with it.
Old 03-09-2022, 10:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

You are quite welcome to not do it when you go away.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
I think it is bunk.
Aren't we lucky we have the ability for free thought, bunk or otherwise?
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
I have a second bathroom for guests that rarely gets used and I do find small bugs and spiders in that bathtub. I use boiling water to help them on their way and then I cover the drainage hole.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 03-09-2022, 11:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Anyone get those "ghost ants" in the house?
Any idea how to get rid of them?
Old 03-09-2022, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Ghostbusters! (cue the theme song) Do a search. There's probably 50 topics about them!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-03-09_11-18-36.jpg
Views:	4098
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	92929  
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:22 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
We get small ants periodically which Massey called Pharoah Ants. They usually follow a path to a food source. If you see one, there will be more. We use a product named Terro which you buy from Ace, Lowes etc for a few dollars. If you place a drop on a small piece of cardboard, you can attract more (Lots More). They feed off the drop and take some of food back home to feed the family. Don't stop them as they will become the missiles to destroy the nest.

This works inside and outside.
Old 03-09-2022, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Freedom of choice. All probably have something to use. All of your water drains have a trap to block sewer gas. You do not want it to evaporate. Cocker roaches are called water bugs in Florida. A rose by any other name would ......... Call them whatever you wish-they are great swimmers and do not care who owns the property. On top of that they are happy to work nights.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

The water in the trap will prevent most bugs from coming into the house. Sometimes, people will see the critters near the drain and will incorrectly assume that is where they entered. But, any bug or other critter will seek out water in a drain regardless of where they entered the house.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I have a second bathroom for guests that rarely gets used and I do find small bugs and spiders in that bathtub. I use boiling water to help them on their way and then I cover the drainage hole.

there are bugs in Florida

like you the tub in the second bathroom is only used when we have overnight guests, which due to covid has been few and far between

a few months back I went in to that bathroom at night, turned on the lights and there was a good size roach in the tub.....smacked that little critter and flushed him/her down the toilet

next night I went in again....found another and saw him run down the drain

poured boiling water down the drain and closed it, we haven't had any further roaches in the tub

I posted something about this a while back and a few 'contributors'' jumped all over me saying there's no way they could come up through the drain...there's traps, etc, etc.

well, they do, and they did
Old 03-09-2022, 03:47 PM
Smile

Quote:
it is real you are in Florida, lots of bugs, and let us not forget the toilets ... close the cover, it's been known that snakes, and other things that crawl /swim will come up through there too. My girlfriend got frogs, some got geckos, I've seen snakes... soooo
Old 03-09-2022, 06:20 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Some years back I remember seeing a news story about rats in New York City. Rats were everywhere. It showed a toilet bowl in this apartment and a rat that lived in the sewer system traveled up the toilet drain pipe and up through the toilet trap into the toilet bowl. The tenants of the apartment said it happened all the time. I shudder to think about setting on that toilet and feel a cold nose poking my posterior.
Old 03-09-2022, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Ann Vinci Igoe View Post
it is real you are in Florida, lots of bugs, and let us not forget the toilets ... close the cover, it's been known that snakes, and other things that crawl /swim will come up through there too. My girlfriend got frogs, some got geckos, I've seen snakes... soooo
Was she at a campsite? We have never had anything in the toilet in TV. Once there was A cockroach 3 years ago on the shower floor. Hubby immediately had the carpets steamed, the bathrooms and kitchen scrubbed, and Lysoled all garbage cans. Nothing since.
Closed Thread

Tags
drains, bugs, house, cover, afraid

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.