How Early Can Lawn Mowers start?

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggyb View Post
We put a box fan in our room and turn it on for white noise. We weren’t used to living with houses so close together and the noises that came with that, such as landscapers, vehicles, as well as the early trash pickup. It really helps.
Those who have the amazon 'alexa' can request 'white noise' be played while you sleep. It comes in various sounds like, ocean waves, rain fall, thunder storm, babling brook, etc.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

The wife and I like fresh eggs so we are in the process of putting in a small chicken coop.

Will be getting a couple of roosters for our herd and wonder what time they are allowed to wake up the neighborhood?

Will also be getting an invisible fence so they do not wander around bothering our neighbors.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Ooops, see this was already quoted in post #5. Duplicate.

From the secret unmentionable site:

I assume local external deed restrictions can override this.
Of which, there are none.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:57 AM

Yeah it gets really annoying. Don't know why they can’t come between 5pm and dark. What’s even more annoying is the bush and tree trimmers with their hours of buzzing beginning at dawn. No respect for old people!
Old 08-12-2020, 10:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Maybe you could change your schedule, and go to bed early, like probably most of the older people? Then, you could go outside and do things in the summertime before it gets too hot?

I have a bad habit of staying up late, till or after midnight. I had that same bad habit when I was still working over two years ago, when I had to wake up for work at 4:30 AM. I was tired at work, walking around like a zombie!

Now, after I retired, I still stay up past midnight, but I get a lot more rest, and feel well rested everyday, waking up at 8 or 9 AM. I could sleep even later, but the sunlight through the window blinds keeps waking me up earlier.

I used to work 3rd shift decades ago, and I had total darkness blinds in the old house, so I could sleep in the middle of the day. But sometimes the neighbors lawn mowing woke me up.

It’s not easy to change your bedtime and wake up time, but I think your overall quality of life would be better if your schedule followed the daylight schedule. You can always record TV shows that are on late at night, and then you can watch them the next day, plus skip the commercials.

It’s hard to break the bad habit of staying up too late, and waking up late in my retirement years. But I’m still working on changing my sleeping schedule. I want to be able to wake up much earlier, so that I can do stuff outside, after we move or start snowbirding in Florida. Sleeping late really wastes good days, when you could be doing stuff outside before it’s too hot.
This is me TOO. I wonder how many other people have unusual sleep times.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithos View Post
There are sounds such as brown noise or white noise that are helpful to mask unwanted noises. It is great for snoring partners too. There are examples on youtube.
I lived in Arizona where thay had a better solution - called Zero-scaping. You eliminate grass altogether or partially using very aesthetically pleasing colored rocks. There are even advantages over grass lawns besides expensive labor, less or zero fuel usage, improved noise prevention and much less fertilizer runoff into the water table. I never tested this idea - but lawnmowers, especially the monster professional tractor sized ones used in TV PROBABLY have zero catalytic converters to lessen air pollution, which causes that bug-aboo Global Warming - which many people are pretending has gone away just because it is not in the news recently. I would imagine that these lawnmower tank-like tractors give off about the same or more pollution than newer cars. Other advantages of rock lawns are they are more unique than boring same-same lawns. They can often be beautiful and colorful. They save water (your water bill) and no or less sprinklers - less fertilizer expense - less allergy-causing grass pollen. You can devote more yard space to trees which dampen neighborhood noise and are better at eliminating carbon dioxide and producing oxygen than grass lawns. Finally, trees will block the dangerous winds from hurricanes, grass won't. And trees provide shade and lower temperature that grass NEVER can. Think about it!
Old 08-12-2020, 12:22 PM
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Sumter County has regulations on noise. Here are the operative paragraphs:

He was wrong. Starting at 7 AM potentially gave you an extra hour of sleep.
Thanks for the info!
Old 08-12-2020, 12:40 PM
Platinum member

I am a very deep sleeper but the mowers even wake me up. Fortunately I usually go right back.
For light sleepers I would imagine they don’t get back to sleep.

We have neighbors that had landscaping, pavers and patios with pavers put in. I swear the work took 6 months. Being woken every morning to pounding and cutting pavers was annoying.
I still have no idea why it took so long!

Waking up by loud mowers etc. is not a fun way to start the day.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtisbwp View Post
Wa wa wa, just roll over and go to sleep. The lawn people are hard working decent people that do NOT seek nor want to have a confrontation with anyone. Most have a family with kids. Perhaps you would rather see them collect unemployment and leave you to do your own lawn.
Actually, there are MANY home robberies in TV land, it is not as crime free as most people believe. Some of your wonderful day workers know which homes have people gone on trips or for the summer, then THEY ( or other robbers that pay for a tip-off) come back at night and BREAK IN. Happened to us ----- BEWARE!!!!!
Old 08-12-2020, 05:00 PM
Platinum member
Default The art of the deal

Ask your neighbor to get another mowing company and offer to pay the difference if any. Then you'll see if they are really " neighbors"
otherwise take it to the supreme court
Old 08-12-2020, 07:35 PM

Conversely why do my neighbors start mowing at 8:30 at night ? They are retired in their late 70s and are out and about playing hall monitor to everyone’s lawn and landscaping. If there are set rules by the HOA basic things like this should be in written form to new residents.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM0614 View Post
Conversely why do my neighbors start mowing at 8:30 at night ? They are retired in their late 70s and are out and about playing hall monitor to everyone’s lawn and landscaping. If there are set rules by the HOA basic things like this should be in written form to new residents.
What HOA are you talking about?
Quite often seniors start working outside either very early or very late to avoid the heat.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:43 PM

Put a pillow over your head
Old 08-13-2020, 09:32 AM

Ear plugs would come in mighty handy too.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:48 AM

I bet the guy know sbetter when they are allowed to start Do not think you are the first one wanting to talk to him. Hopefully my neightbour cuts grass with a hedge trimmer and that's not that loud, we got echo for shrubs, not the worst choice. I tried it once when got some issue with my lawn mower
Ear plugs won't help and as for me I get a headache every time I use them. Guess, that's how my body reacts to the times I was working on the rig

Last edited by TZamora; 08-20-2020 at 02:23 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
lawn, loud, start, time, allowable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.