How to entertain a teenager?

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2014, 09:32 PM
Gold member
Default How to entertain a teenager?

We just moved in fulltime and we already have a list of grandkid visits on the calendar. I know there is lots to do here. But I expected more time to check things out.

Looking for suggestions for older teens 14-18. Girls and boys.

Each will be coming to visit by themselves and staying for a week!
Help!!
Old 06-18-2014, 01:16 AM

I am hosting a 16 yr. old French boy in August. Hubby and I came up with these activities; bowling( I hear it is cheap for kids here in summer). Taking a trip to,Kennedy Space ,Tarpon Springs sponge boat ride& sponge museum or dolphin seeking boat ride there.Alligator Farm ,Manatee's ,airboat ride,St Augustine fort, Daytona Beach to see racetrack and drive on the beach,also eat at Forest Gumps there. Here in TV we have a bike,and he can drive the golf cart( after lessons!). I hope we can use the air gun,archery and other areas,we have to investigate,
We know he likes "anything guitar "so we are looking to have him jam with some players . Problem is he has English classes during the day. If any guitar players are willing to let him hear/ join you on weekend or evening, please let us know. We are not sure if he is bringing his guitar ( his skill) or we will need to rent or borrow one. We have e- mailed him about his ability and are awaiting his answer.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:24 AM
Gold member

Great suggestions! I do appreciate it. I hadn't even thought about bowling!! And that is so close.

I thought our kids would give us a bit more time to settle in, but we are happy to have the grandkids anytime. They grow up way too fast!

Enjoy your exchange student. What a great experience for you as well as for him!

Thanks again for the suggestions. We have been too busy unpacking to explore our options!
Old 06-18-2014, 05:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,557 Times in 1,930 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
Great suggestions! I do appreciate it. I hadn't even thought about bowling!! And that is so close.

I thought our kids would give us a bit more time to settle in, but we are happy to have the grandkids anytime. They grow up way too fast!

Enjoy your exchange student. What a great experience for you as well as for him!

Thanks again for the suggestions. We have been too busy unpacking to explore our options!

Our college student loves Bocce, shuffleboard, swimming and he so enjoyed the Beatlemaniacs. He brought his guitar, but Dr. Boogie graciously will loan one for the session. He liked just going out to dinner and loved being DRIVEN around in the golf cart.(I am overprotective) Enjoyed the music on the squares. (He really LIKES that genre of music) Teenagers are fun to have around.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:05 AM

Send them to the movie The Fault of Our Stars. Great movie for fourteen year olds or any one for that matter.

LatDoc
Old 06-18-2014, 06:17 AM
Sage
Default Jet skis for Lake Weir????

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
We just moved in fulltime and we already have a list of grandkid visits on the calendar. I know there is lots to do here. But I expected more time to check things out.

Looking for suggestions for older teens 14-18. Girls and boys.

Each will be coming to visit by themselves and staying for a week!
Help!!

If you can, rent some jet skis at Lake Weir, which is just north of THE VILLAGES. Unfortunately, we only found out how close it was after we had already flown home.

Also, other nice lakes around which are not too far a drive......
We saw most of "The Chain of Lakes"........if they like to fish, etc., sunbathe, etc., go kayaking......which most teens love nowadays.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:23 AM
Sage

Just make sure you can provide them with wifi access at the house and/or bump up their data plans so they can "social network their visit away"...

We had a couple 14 year old girls visit a month ago (friends brought daughters for visit) and mostly they seemed to enjoy running the wheels off the golf carts (I assume from the way they changed outfits prior to each trip of the day it was an attempt to gain interest from boys?) and they spent a lot of time on the cell phone texting and social mediating. They struggled to spend more than 30 minutes at the pool at a time (no lifeguards, adult should go with them!) so about the time I got comfortable in the lounge chair, they needed to go somewhere in the cart..."but first let me take a selfie"

Bowling was a good suggestion. Here are some of the things we did; beach, airboat ride (go east on 42 to Nelson's under the bridge), flea market, movie, volleyball at Eatons Beach (Lake Weir), monkey hunting at silver springs (just for pictures!), and attend the square for live entertainment (they could not sit for more than a few minutes, they preferred to parade around the square non stop).
Old 06-19-2014, 09:42 AM

pls do not let them have a key to yr golf cart; my hubby "sweaty" complains of too many close calls when he is bicycle riding on Rec. trails & kids in carts "buzz" him.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:37 PM

My 17 year old grandaughter is with me now. We have plans for Disney, the ocean, the gulf, shopping, movies and hanging out. Though I can't get the smile off my face every second I see her... having her all to myself wasn't a good idea, I should have had a cousin or two visit at the same time.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbanker View Post
Just make sure you can provide them with wifi access at the house and/or bump up their data plans so they can "social network their visit away"...

We had a couple 14 year old girls visit a month ago (friends brought daughters for visit) and mostly they seemed to enjoy running the wheels off the golf carts (I assume from the way they changed outfits prior to each trip of the day it was an attempt to gain interest from boys?) and they spent a lot of time on the cell phone texting and social mediating. They struggled to spend more than 30 minutes at the pool at a time (no lifeguards, adult should go with them!) so about the time I got comfortable in the lounge chair, they needed to go somewhere in the cart..."but first let me take a selfie"

Bowling was a good suggestion. Here are some of the things we did; beach, airboat ride (go east on 42 to Nelson's under the bridge), flea market, movie, volleyball at Eatons Beach (Lake Weir), monkey hunting at silver springs (just for pictures!), and attend the square for live entertainment (they could not sit for more than a few minutes, they preferred to parade around the square non stop).
Old 06-22-2014, 09:25 PM
Gold member

My teenage & young adult grandchildren enjoy all that has been mentioned plus billiards, playing golf, driving range, Market of Marion, and sleeping in. Have fun
Old 06-22-2014, 09:32 PM

Suggestion...all you bloggers should GET TOGETHER AND have. A TEEN PARTY ..**.someone have a pool..or go to the community pool...

** that way there can be food/covered dish and a few decorations
Teens can make their own fun..you adults get to make new friendships too...

I look forward to this..my grandson is just 8
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.