How friendly are you to strangers?

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2021, 01:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisport View Post
Walking I see most people saying hello in retirement communities. On the west coast there are certain recent Asian cultures where it is not acceptable to greet strangers. So many people get upset when they wave and get no response here. In the villages I notice 99 percent smile and wave.
In Hawaii too there are many Asians especially Japanese. I found a slight nod of the head makes them more receptive. Cultural differences, I guess.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:29 PM

Be careful when you buy things at City Furniture They refuse to take anything back once it leaves the store. Not very friendly is it for being in the friendliest city! Not only that but they do not even tell you when you buy something from them they have this policy..Read the fine print! We did not.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:09 PM

I’ve had a two strike rule when I was at work. I See someone I say, “Hi or Hello “ if I got no response from them no problem, when I see same person I’ll say “ hi or hello “ again, no response, next time I see them I see them as invisible and walk by and say nothing. If perchance a person says hello to me, I’ve always responded with “ Hi how are you ? “ Many conversations have come from that meeting as well as many friends.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:36 PM
Bella6368

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I've been wondering lately why some people choose not to smile or say hello when crossing others on the street or a walking trail. I'm not sure if it's because I was born in a small town, but I love spreading cheer whenever I can. When I was in a big city for decades I didn't expect it, but love the TV village I'm in because so many people like to say hello. In my new northern summer home (125,000 population) I find there's some people who choose not to acknowledge my boyfriend and I when we are on a walk which feels so weird. What's your experience? Is what our parents teach us "don't speak to strangers" continue into adulthood for some of you, or do you prefer saying hello whenever you can?
My husband and I spent a month in the Villages last May, and found most everyone to especially friendly. With a population as large as The Villages, I suppose it is normal to say that there will always be a few who simply can't be bothered to spread some cheer. I have noticed there are some very arrogant posts on TOTV, that must be attached to "someone", so that's one possibility. I do think also though, some perhaps have health issues weighing heavily on their mind perhaps, and so their personal issues at hand may prevent them from being super friendly at the time. We personally find The Villages to be a very friendly community, especially compared to where my husband and I are coming from.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:07 PM

Monaghan Country Music Festival 2016 - Highlights - YouTube

I did not know where to post this. I stumbled on it and am hoping someone here knows better how to share it.

Please watch the children; they are awesome.

I dare you to watch this twice and not make yourself a drink, lol

Who says older people can't teach younger to have a good time

ENJOY, All of us Americans; new or old; let's get together!!
Old 08-03-2021, 07:28 PM

With the influx of northerners. Really. I smile at everyone I pass. I can easily strike up a conversation like I knew you all my life! We also pass golf carts and I smile and people stay stoned faced. I said so my hubby so much for the friendliest town. More like some people are miserable no matter where they live. Lighten up, be happy and enjoy what’s left of our lives.

Last edited by mamamia54; 08-03-2021 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:24 AM

When I walk in TV and in NY, I mostly greet those passing by. When I don’t, it’s not because I’m unfriendly. It’s either because I have my earbuds on and talking/listening to the person on the phone. Or it could be I have something I my mind that I’m thinking about and not looking around. I am from NY and considered friendly. Don’t take it personally and don’t label those that don’t acknowledge you today. Tomorrow they can be the first one saying hello.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

The Villages Florida

But they get a pass if they have a dog...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-04-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrodmh View Post
If you expect to be thanked, don’t do it. Saying “you’re welcome” in a passive aggressive way is completely immature.
I do expect people to act correctly, simple decency isn't difficult nor does it cost you a single thing. If you're so lazy or self absorbed that you can't be bothered to reply, its what you'll get. I was raised better than that.

Immature, maybe but I'm good with that.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:47 AM

Thank you for the poem, Smiling is Infectious. Brought a smile to my face and will pass it on.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:31 AM
Default Compliment only please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelingal702 View Post
....A few nice words can make a person's day and it certainly doesn't hurt the person making the compliments. Kindness goes a long way!
good point, I know if I see a woman and there's something striking about her (nice shoes, cool hair, pretty dress...), I quickly mention it in passing and keep right on moving, not stopping to engage or make things awkward for her...just a short, "....hey, cool hair by the way..." and keep on walking. They don't need to think I'm stalking them or expecting dinner or more, just a simple compliment.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:04 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 384 Posts

Oh please this isnt Podunk where u came from...TV has become a city.

I dont feel obligated to be Jed Clampet and wave and smile at everyone.

Someome waves or says hello i wil, respond. But im not driving in my car or golf cart thinking I should be the greeter of the Villages.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswett5234 View Post
good point, I know if I see a woman and there's something striking about her (nice shoes, cool hair, pretty dress...), I quickly mention it in passing and keep right on moving, not stopping to engage or make things awkward for her...just a short, "....hey, cool hair by the way..." and keep on walking. They don't need to think I'm stalking them or expecting dinner or more, just a simple compliment.
Some people don’t like to be commented on their looks, or what they wear. It’s not like everyone dresses for others’ attention. It is personal and they simply don’t care whether someone else likes it or not and they are not interested in hearing about it. There are better ways to start a conversation. Or a short genuine smile, that is usually appreciated.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:46 PM

Today I accidentally scared the crap out of a woman who had stopped at the McDonald’s drive up. I ran up to her car because I heard a baby crying loudly. The woman was on her cell phone. Her newborn was in the back seat next to the door—which was wide open. When I got her attention and told her that her door was open, she looked back at her baby and started to cry. She said she had been driving for miles with the door open. I thank God I was friendly enough to get her attention but I have been worried ever since about a mother that ignores a newborn crying. And is on her cell phone while driving. We used to say it takes a village to raise a child. Obviously, it still does.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
When we bought here 9 years ago everyone seemed to wave as being part of big family . With the influx of northerners small town old fashioned friendliness is gone, scowls and gloom seems to be their natural manner.
Yeah those Canadian People are Rough!

You’ve gotta be kidding?
Closed Thread

Tags
people, love, choose, strangers, feels

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.