Why Tree Removal

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2016, 12:09 PM
Gold member
Cool Why Tree Removal

Recently I have noticed that a great number of mature trees were removed along CH 101. Now I see something similar happening along Buena Vista. Whats the deal ??? I had a friend in the Lady Lake portion who was fined for removing a small tree without permission.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:19 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

From the on-line news source after a search there on the word trees:
Residents have been buzzing about an entire row of trees that has been cut down and removed on Buena Vista Boulevard near the Villages Polo Fields. The decision, made by Villages Property Management, was one of necessity.

Trees cut down on Buena Vista Boulevard will be replaced by new varieties.

Originally believed by several observers to be Live Oaks were, in fact, Bradford Pears.

Approximately 20 trees were disposed of and the plan is to replace them with healthy Magnolias and Crepe Myrtles, according to Sam Wartinbee, director of the Villages Property Management.

“The Bradford Pears were over 18 years old,” Wartinbee said. “They were diseased and quite a few had been hit by lightning. They are an ornamental tree.”

Bradford Pears, while attractive in the spring with white blossoms, are quite an eyesore the rest of the year. Bradford’s have very weak branches so, when a 40-mile per hour wind gust comes along, most of the smaller branches end up on the ground. It is virtually impossible for grass to grow under these trees and it is also considered to be an invasive species of tree with root systems that strangle anything that gets in its way. The white spring blossoms are quite deceiving as well. Their “aroma” has been compared to dead fish.

Wartinbee said a big improvement is coming.

“We are overhauling the whole landscape,” he said. “Planting the Magnolias and Crepe Myrtles is the first step and then some groundcover under those. It’s all part of our landscape renovation here in The Villages.”

I believe the project out on 101 was for road improvements by the County.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:38 PM
Eternal Member

Back in Maryland, I had a couple of Bradford Pear trees in my backyard. Gorgeous trees in the Spring with the white flowers all over the tree.

Sam is right on the money when he said they are a very brittle tree and get damaged in windstorms. I had a fairly large Bradford Pear fall in the yard and it was a mess to cut up and haul away. The wood is not even good for burning in the fireplace.

The Crape Myrtles are a much better choice. Magnolias are great, too.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:45 PM

It looks like they will be widening the section of CR 101 that borders Glenview golf course. This road goes to the Temple Shalom By the Village property on County Road 101.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
Recently I have noticed that a great number of mature trees were removed along CH 101. Now I see something similar happening along Buena Vista. Whats the deal ??? I had a friend in the Lady Lake portion who was fined for removing a small tree without permission.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:02 AM
Veteran member

We have many, many Bradford pears in the town we currently live in. They grow quickly, are quite symmetrical and just bursting with white flowers in the spring. And my wife and I hate them. They smell to us more like cat urine than dead fish. When a whole street full of them are in blossom, it's nearly impossible to walk near them due to that gagging aroma. Whenever we have an ice storm (about every other year), one or more of them will lose major branches or split down the middle as they can't handle the weight of the ice. At the best of times, they are a messy tree. While I hate to see any mature trees chopped down, I can appreciate the decision to lose these trees in favor of some more suited for the climate. Crepe Myrtles (also common here in NC) should be an excellent replacement. They grow fast and have masses of colorful flowers that can last for months in the summer.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The average lifespan of a Bradford pear is around 15 years It's time for them to be replaced.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,953 Times in 2,464 Posts

As with any soft wood tree you have to maintain them. If you let them get over grown they will spit. Bradford grow quickly and make great shade tree while slow growing hardwood tree get big enough for shade. If pruned property are beautiful trees.

I had several on my previous home and never lost one in tornado alley Ok. Storms, straight line winds 80 plus mph. The problem villages let landscape get over grown, especially around roundabouts and street corners blocking traffic vision. I have to pull almost out into the street just to see cars coming around the over grown bushes blocking vision which shouldn't been planted that close to entry and exits to begain with.

I also had pear producing tree, peaches, apples, cherry trees, and apricot never lost them either. Which Rainer cherries would be ripe right about now in Ok. YUMMY!
Closed Thread

Tags
tree, friend, lady, deal, vista

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.