How large is the attic for a Lantana?

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Gold member
Default How large is the attic for a Lantana?

OK, we own a Lantana and spent 2 months camping out in it this past winter. However, other than seeing the entrance door to it from below, since I did not have a ladder, I have never seen the attic above the garage. Can anyone tell me how large it is? I visited a house (not a Lantana) under construction on our street to see how large its attic was and it looked to be only two 4x8 sheets of plywood and also looked to be VERY low (oh my aching back). Is this what I should expect when I finally see my attic?
Old 05-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Eternal Member
Default How Low Can You Go?

Can't tell you about a Lantana, but a Gardenia has a low and small attic over the garage. I installed stairs (the opening is pre-cut to the right size for stairs) so I could easily get up there. The "option" from the builder for an accessible attic includes the plywood, some bracing and a light. I bought a pair of knee pads (the ones that attach to your knee) for scurrying around the space. I leave them at the top of the stairs.
Not a great place to store stuff you need to get to frequently.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Sage

The attic in the Lantana is relatively large. Ours has about 500+ sq. ft. of decking, including the golf cart garage. It has easy access and is used to store stuff around the periphery that otherwise would clutter up the garage. At least that's what I've been told. I don't go there myself.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Sage

NJ... Carla is right...the attic space is large -- basically the size of your garage; I think they only promised to put 2 4x8 sheets of flooring; just about our entire garage had plywood flooring so you'll have to see what they put in yours; You probably can't stand upright in the area but it appears to be a good 5 ft high. This info I glean from standing on the attic stairs peeking into the attic space. Mr 07 gets the job of actually going in there to store stuff.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:03 PM

Lantana's have varying garage sizes but ours came with flooring on an 8 ft wide area down the full length of the garage (about 22 ft). This is a clear area between the upright braces of the roof trusses. I added another 4 feet of flooring on each side of the truss uprights for a total width approaching 16 ft but of course the height is considerably reduced towards the sides.

It's not a basement but it is amazing how much junk can get stored there.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Gold member

Thanks, all, for the information. Perhaps we may not need to be as ruthless with our trashing/giving/selling stuff as I thought.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Smile Bridgeport II

We just bought a Bridgeport II and have a similar question about the attic space. The garage has a very tall ceiling so I am wondering if the attic is tight.

I am also wondering if the space is really designed to carry much weight. Our NY home had a similar storage space but we ended up with a cracked drywall ceiling from excessive deflections.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Sage

How do things handle the high summer heat in the garage attics?

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 05-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Platinum member

Regardless of size there are two things to consider before storing in the attic.
Number one is the heat factor. It gets extremely hot up there.
Number two is the weight factor. We do not have to consider snow load on our roofs so the trusses are made up of 2X4's. Not a big problem but one to consider.
Getting "stuff" up and down is no day at the beach either.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Smile

Remember, you live in sub-tropical area and heat and humidity affects everything. Wife & I have a rule: If it's not been worn or used in a year, out it goes---we don't need it. I wouldn't store anything in the attic here regardless how much room is up there.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Regarding heat in the garage attic...candles will melt, certain types of plastics will loose shape, your cardboard boxes (ie moving boxes as opposed to heavier shipping boxes) may absorb the humid heat and loose some of there strength, books and any type of paper (one exception is packing paper) will absorb the humidity so they will not last.

We found using the stronger plastic storage containers with lids to be a good solution as opposed to using boxes.....and most fit through the attic opening with a shove. Again the cheap plastic containers may not stand up to the heat so be careful.

Also DONOT DONOT...pack the attic floor space all the way to the roof top. You must allow for air flow ventilation ...just go up there on a fairly windy day and you will see what I mean....if you pack too tight (or high) you are asking for big time mildew problems.

Last edited by 784caroline; 05-09-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Eternal Member

I am not sure if the Lantana has different roof types. BUT I have a Amarillo with the gabled roof over the garage and I have a lot of storage space. Actually a straight run from the attic door/stairs to the end. I have a plywood floor in the attic. A friend of mine has the same house with the hip roof and the joists run across the attic area so he does not have the room I do.

Just a thought when you are doing your planning.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
We just bought a Bridgeport II and have a similar question about the attic space. The garage has a very tall ceiling so I am wondering if the attic is tight.

I am also wondering if the space is really designed to carry much weight. Our NY home had a similar storage space but we ended up with a cracked drywall ceiling from excessive deflections.

We have a Bridgeport II as well. Not a lot of height up there. My hubs is 6" and he can't stand up straight. I may be able to at 5' 7" - but fell as if one wrong move and thwack to the head. We keep the Christmas decorations up there - plus some stuff we weren't sure we would use in FL. We figure after this Christmas we will do a once over and the stuff we don't need will go away.

We are keeping things is plastic totes for the most part.

k
Old 05-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Platinum member
Default Another Alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
I am not sure if the Lantana has different roof types. BUT I have a Amarillo with the gabled roof over the garage and I have a lot of storage space. Actually a straight run from the attic door/stairs to the end. I have a plywood floor in the attic. A friend of mine has the same house with the hip roof and the joists run across the attic area so he does not have the room I do.

Just a thought when you are doing your planning.

Z
Our Amarillo is like yours but they put the access in a location that leads up into a apace in the front of the garage (over laundry room etc.). limiting the amount I can store and wasting the space under the gable end. I solved the problem by cutting another access to make that space available. I did not install pull down stairs as this makes access too narrow for my purposes. I access it via step ladder. Large plastic storage boxes slide right thru' it.

Heavy stuff goes up the original and light stuff goes over the gable end.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:45 PM

Thanks Kate. Our plan is to store the same types of things as you - Christmas and other once a year items. Was the plywood or particle board floor already there by the builder or did you have to add it? How large of a space is there? Thanks.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.