How many of you looked at The Plantation

Closed Thread
Old 09-12-2012, 09:57 PM

On a whim, I looked at Del Webb in Ocala, on-line. They have no amenities fees, but their HOA dues are $340 a MONTH.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Sage

These places might look good on the surface..but living here in TV there's way more to do. More golfing, more clubs (LOTS of clubs) and more. As one other poster says---we're pretty much 'self contained' w/o having to leave. PLUS it's mostly ALL golf cart accessible. We're gone past Plantation and the entry in looks nice....but frankly for me, the community is just too far out! Not my cup of tea...nor my S.O.

You might check and see how easy or quickly homes are selling in these places.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:23 AM
Sage

In 08 we put our house up north on the market after several visits to The Villages. We had looked from Myrtle Beach to Arizona and everywhere in between but decided that The Villages was hands down our style of life. When we did that, our long time friend and wife said FLORIDA, YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING. They even laughed and said there is no way in H*** we would live in FLORIDA. In June of 09 we talked them into going on a life style visit to The Villages as we were going down again to choose a lot to build on. They went with us and two months later owned a house in St. James. They beat us down here and are still happy with the decision. Yes, sq foot of home and lot size, The Villages is the most expensive in this area, but if you want an active life style, this is your new home town.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:20 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I researched and got information on over 100 retirement communities. I looked at fee's, home prices, ongoing monthly costs, amenities, and resale home value. I know we all think this will be our last home purchase, but what if you really don't like where you buy. I built spread sheets and did many different types of comparisons. From all the research I narrowed it down to about 14 places that looked decent. I actually started to visit them. The Villages was number seven or eight and I never went any further.

The only place for us that even came a little close was St James Plantation in NC on the SC border just North of Myrtle Beach. 3 golf courses, golf cart community, on site restaurants, ocean front close, and lots of car accessible local amenities. Home prices somewhat comparable to TV. Weather not as nice, taxes not as friendly, cost of living a little higher.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:25 AM
Veteran member

Our friends live in Plantation and have been trying to sell and move to the Villages. They have a beautiful home but the wife wants a more social lifestyle. They drive to the Villages often for dining, entertainment and shopping.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Thank you quiet successful rich brilliant Gary Morse, and to your dad Harold Schwartz and your kids too. It was such a great idea that you had that became this wonderful reality, THE VILLAGES.

Since you are 75 and live smack dab in the middle of this place in that huge plot of land....in my heart I know that what you have created gives you just as much satisfaction as the money...maybe more.

It would if it were me.

If you wanted fame, we would see you present at the rallies and stuff and see your picture in the paper. There isn't even a current picture of you on google. You deserve every penny of your financial success.

Somehow I know that you read this forum.

Thank you Gary Morse.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Thank you quiet successful rich brilliant Gary Morse, and to your dad Harold Schwartz and your kids too. It was such a great idea that you had that became this wonderful reality, THE VILLAGES.

Since you are 75 and live smack dab in the middle of this place in that huge plot of land....in my heart I know that what you have created gives you just as much satisfaction as the money...maybe more.

It would if it were me.

If you wanted fame, we would see you present at the rallies and stuff and see your picture in the paper. There isn't even a current picture of you on google. You deserve every penny of your financial success.

Thank you Gary Morse.

Noone could have said this better! LOVE The Villages!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 09:40 AM

I think Gracie stays up very late at night working with her writers to come up with all of her profound posts. Very seldom does she mis-speak ... like I do!
Don
Old 09-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

It would if it were me.

Thank you Gary Morse.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-28-2012, 06:05 PM

we looked at The Plantation as well about 4 years ago. The homes were bigger than what you get here in The Villages but there was no way I was going to leave the area where we lived (just outside Washington DC to move to Florida) for only nicer weather. My husband and I wanted a more active lifestyle. We talked to one couple who I believe were from NY and they told us they had made the wrong decision (for them) in moving to The Plantation because they felt they had parked their brain at the gate. I will never forget the conversation. Anyway, we have checked many, many retirement communities and after living here 3 years (I am 60 now) I have not had to worry about parking my brain at the Villages, in fact, it's quite the opposite--we are stimulated both physically and mentally here. Good luck in your research.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Just curious as to how many of you looked at The Plantation in Leesburg prior to buying in The Villages? I do know that quite a few posters on TOTV actually live in The Plantation or elsewhere.
I believe that Frank, one of the Moderators of TOTV, lives in The Plantation. I'd love to hear his input.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Platinum member

the only place I would live in a "retirement community" other than The Villages would be a place close to Orlando. But there's nothing that compares.

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 11-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Veteran member

I've watched this thread off and on since it's start, but declined to comment. But since I was asked specifically I'll be glad to share our experience/perspective.

I'm a retired firefighter from western NY, and my former Captain bought a place in Hawthorne in Leesburg. He loves it there. Another firefighter I worked with visited him and bought a place in The Plantation. He returned to work and spoke about it daily.....My wife and I needed a vacation and we visited them down here, and we looked around a bit at some other communities and ended up buying the house across the street.

That was 5 years ago, and this last year I retired from the Fire Dept and brought my Home Inspector skills down here and started my business as a licensed Florida Home Inspector. My business has grown, and I now actually advertise here on TOTV, and have done many home inspections in The Villages as well as surrounding communities. D'Angelo Inspections LLC | Serving The Villages, Leesburg, Clermont, and Surrounding Areas 352-250-7818

When I bought here in The Plantation I did not even know about The Villages. I really like The Villages and are there very often doing inspections. It is an amazing one of a kind place and I've assisted many folks in buying there.

That being said, I also like The Plantation. I have a huge lot that backs up to a beautiful full time spring fed pond. I can fish in my backyard. No one can build next to me, and I do not feel "squished" between neighbors. Across the pond I can watch golfers put on a green.

My neighbors are wonderful, active, and many play golf and tennis daily. We have 2 nice full size golf courses, three large activity centers, fitness centers, pools, hot tubs, a great restaurant, etc,etc,etc.

Of course, this pales in comparison to The Villages. I would not even attempt to try to compare. We have about 3,000 homes here in about 21 little villages that are already fully built out, so no new homes are being built. The developer has turned the place over completely to the homeowners. There is no one time bond fee or anything. Our HOA fees are only $85.00 a month. My taxes this year were just over $1,000.00 (just paid them yesterday...lol)

Our HOA seems balanced, common sense and not too restrictive. They have a very good amount of money in the bank, and are continually improving the grounds, adding nice new stuff.

I like that WE own the place. I like the low HOA fees and the size of The Plantation is not huge. I love my big lot. I like that we have real security guards at the gates 24/7/365. From my driveway I am two miles from most all the shopping I need. I am 2 miles from the Turnpike.

I like the lack of traffic, especially during snowbird season. I do not feel like I need to lock our doors. I keep my garage door open much of the day when I'm home, as I'm always working on projects. I can walk our neighborhood in the middle of the night and not fear.

I've seen Bobcats and coyotes in the neighborhood, and have more often then not gators in my pond. I like them. (and no, I do not feed them!)

I drive my golf cart all over the place here, but of course not for shopping.

Folks are all different....if we were all the same life would be boring. I am happy here, and I think I'd be happy in The Villages. I have neighbors just up the street who did live in The Villages, did not like it at all and moved here.

The Villages is bigger, which is either good or bad dependent on our views. The Villages has much more to do....but we have a lot to do here also on a smaller scale. We too have many clubs, concerts, plays, etc.....not as much as The Villages of course, but remember, we are only 3000 homes. I go to the closest pool many times and find it all to myself. I like that. I do not like crowds and traffic that much.

Well, I hope that helps. Remember, I like both places and am not trying to compare or put one over the other. I only posted because I was asked.

Both places have free snow removal . Up in NY I paid over $6k in taxes, had potholes and rust everywhere and tons of snow, ice and cold. Both The Villages and The Plantation has none of that.

We are all blessed.....only 10 miles separate us and I consider many of you good friends and "just down the road" neighbors.

Frank

P.S....It is true that I once was a Moderator here, but had to give it up to devote more time to the business. I just did not want anyone to think I was still serving in that capacity. Thank you!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Default $85.00 per month HOA???

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulfrank View Post
I've watched this thread off and on since it's start, but declined to comment. But since I was asked specifically I'll be glad to share our experience/perspective.

I'm a retired firefighter from western NY, and my former Captain bought a place in Hawthorne in Leesburg. He loves it there. Another firefighter I worked with visited him and bought a place in The Plantation. He returned to work and spoke about it daily.....My wife and I needed a vacation and we visited them down here, and we looked around a bit at some other communities and ended up buying the house across the street.

That was 5 years ago, and this last year I retired from the Fire Dept and brought my Home Inspector skills down here and started my business as a licensed Florida Home Inspector. My business has grown, and I now actually advertise here on TOTV, and have done many home inspections in The Villages as well as surrounding communities. D'Angelo Inspections LLC | Serving The Villages, Leesburg, Clermont, and Surrounding Areas 352-250-7818

When I bought here in The Plantation I did not even know about The Villages. I really like The Villages and are there very often doing inspections. It is an amazing one of a kind place and I've assisted many folks in buying there.

That being said, I also like The Plantation. I have a huge lot that backs up to a beautiful full time spring fed pond. I can fish in my backyard. No one can build next to me, and I do not feel "squished" between neighbors. Across the pond I can watch golfers put on a green.

My neighbors are wonderful, active, and many play golf and tennis daily. We have 2 nice full size golf courses, three large activity centers, fitness centers, pools, hot tubs, a great restaurant, etc,etc,etc.

Of course, this pales in comparison to The Villages. I would not even attempt to try to compare. We have about 3,000 homes here in about 21 little villages that are already fully built out, so no new homes are being built. The developer has turned the place over completely to the homeowners. There is no one time bond fee or anything. Our HOA fees are only $85.00 a month. My taxes this year were just over $1,000.00 (just paid them yesterday...lol)

Our HOA seems balanced, common sense and not too restrictive. They have a very good amount of money in the bank, and are continually improving the grounds, adding nice new stuff.

I like that WE own the place. I like the low HOA fees and the size of The Plantation is not huge. I love my big lot. I like that we have real security guards at the gates 24/7/365. From my driveway I am two miles from most all the shopping I need. I am 2 miles from the Turnpike.

I like the lack of traffic, especially during snowbird season. I do not feel like I need to lock our doors. I keep my garage door open much of the day when I'm home, as I'm always working on projects. I can walk our neighborhood in the middle of the night and not fear.

I've seen Bobcats and coyotes in the neighborhood, and have more often then not gators in my pond. I like them. (and no, I do not feed them!)

I drive my golf cart all over the place here, but of course not for shopping.

Folks are all different....if we were all the same life would be boring. I am happy here, and I think I'd be happy in The Villages. I have neighbors just up the street who did live in The Villages, did not like it at all and moved here.

The Villages is bigger, which is either good or bad dependent on our views. The Villages has much more to do....but we have a lot to do here also on a smaller scale. We too have many clubs, concerts, plays, etc.....not as much as The Villages of course, but remember, we are only 3000 homes. I go to the closest pool many times and find it all to myself. I like that. I do not like crowds and traffic that much.

Well, I hope that helps. Remember, I like both places and am not trying to compare or put one over the other. I only posted because I was asked.

Both places have free snow removal . Up in NY I paid over $6k in taxes, had potholes and rust everywhere and tons of snow, ice and cold. Both The Villages and The Plantation has none of that.

We are all blessed.....only 10 miles separate us and I consider many of you good friends and "just down the road" neighbors.

Frank

P.S....It is true that I once was a Moderator here, but had to give it up to devote more time to the business. I just did not want anyone to think I was still serving in that capacity. Thank you!

Hi frank, glad you like it there. question? how much free golf do you get for your two 18 hole courses? As an aside, I am an avid golfer. hv played both of your courses and although i get confused as which one is which but I will never play one of them again. As far as real estate investing, why does the plantation now allow outsiders to play both courses? Is it possible that the average plantation age is going up every year thus golf membership/revenue is going down? IMO, nothing beats the villages
Old 11-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3puttharry View Post
Hi frank, glad you like it there. question? how much free golf do you get for your two 18 hole courses? As an aside, I am an avid golfer. hv played both of your courses and although i get confused as which one is which but I will never play one of them again. As far as real estate investing, why does the plantation now allow outsiders to play both courses? Is it possible that the average plantation age is going up every year thus golf membership/revenue is going down? IMO, nothing beats the villages
We do not get "free golf". I am of the belief that very few things in life are really "free". I can play golf there anytime I like but I do have to either pay greens fees, which I thought were very reasonable or I could join the club and play for "free".

Since I do not play that often I elect to pay when I play. In places where they advertise "free golf" I assume a part of their HOA fees support this perk. For those living there who do not play much or any golf, they are paying something for which they never use.

I have played both courses here and thought they were VERY nice...the one is more challenging then the other IMO....some of the older golfers prefer the easier one.

I do not know what the average age here is. The Plantation, like The Villages has an older section and a newer section, with the oldest homes about 20 years old and the youngest ones less then 5 years old. In my neighborhood we have homes being sold all the time to younger folks my age...(I am 54 now and bought 5 years ago.) The Baby boomers are starting to buy here also, just like in The Villages.

Yes, our HOA fees are only $85.00. They have not gone up in years and I do not expect them to. The place is well taken care of and the HOA has very good cash reserves. There are no bond fees and we own everything ourselves. Our amenities are in proportion to our population which is much smaller then The Villages.

Please, I am not arguing here. I did not plan on posting in this thread but only did because I was asked. I like it here and I like The Villages....compared to the real world out there we both live in a wonderful place. Any of us only need to drive just a few miles and find folks living vastly different.

I think The Villages is an amazing place. I love doing Home Inspections and one year Warranty Inspections there. I only posted here to provide the information that was asked for. Residents in either place as well as folks in Legacy, Arlington Ridge, Highland lakes, Royal Highlands, Lakes of Mt. Dora, etc,etc have much to be thankful for.

Frank

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.