How to Navigate Roundabouts

Old 10-20-2023, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
We do not need to start another thread. A driver's responsibility when entering a RAB is to make certain it is clear before proceeding. It is obvious when it is clear to make a right hand turn, you can go. You should not expect ANYONE to cut you off AFTER YOU HAVE EXITED THE ROUNDABOUT. Any driver behind you on the side street must wait until it is safe to pass you. COMMON SENSE.
If you're talking about what happens after you exit the roundabout, the comment doesn't belong here.
Old 10-20-2023, 07:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Are you suggesting you would make a right on red onto a four lane road with a car approaching in the fast lane? That's some risky business! There is nothing keeping the other vehicle from changing lanes and making your right on red less than successful.

But that's besides the point. While the circle works similar to a 4-way intersection, it is not. The intersecting roads have yield signs, not stop signs or stop lights. Traffic is free to enter the RB without stopping but that traffic MUST YIELD to ALL traffic already in the RB. Don't like it? Don't agree with it? Doesn't change how a RB works.
not suggesting anything but Florida law states you can make a right on red when clear to do so.

I was using that as an example. An entering driver into a roundabout needs to wait until it is clear to proceed. Nothing more! If it is clear to make a right hand turn, you did it without hitting anyone or cutting anyone off, no driver behind you can cut you off on the side street. The driver behind must wait until it is clear to pass you.
Old 10-20-2023, 07:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlnc View Post
If you're talking about what happens after you exit the roundabout, the comment doesn't belong here.
It was in response to someone exiting a roundabout then abruptly swerving ahead of another to use the resident gate. Once you exit the roundabout onto a side street, you can't cut someone ahead of you off. You either use the visitor gate that is in your lane or wait for the vehicle in front then use the resident gate after.

You do not come off a roundabout POed thinking the car ahead of you stole your turn at the resident gate then decide to cut them off.

Last edited by Randall55; 10-20-2023 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-20-2023, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
You might think it is different, but it is not. An intersection is an intersection. A vehicle should be able to make a right turn after checking to see if the lane is clear. Florida law allows a right hand turn when the lane is clear.

What the law does not allow is to suddenly change lanes cutting a vehicle off.

Again, yielding only takes a few seconds. Jumping lanes to line yourself up to the resident gate because the visitor gate is too inconvenient for you is not sufficient reason to cut a driver off. The driver who made the right hand turn did so legally. The car behind must now wait or take the visitor gate entrance. Those are the only two options.

Me? I would wait before making the right turn. As many posters have stated, many drivers exit the inner circle then abruptly jump lanes to use the resident gate. I don't get it! It is not difficult to use the visitor gate.
Wow, talk about stubborn. Now several other posters have pointed out how wrong you are. You might like the analogy to turning right at a red light, but it does not work that way. You are making up your own rules based on a faulty comparison to something else entirely. STOP making up your own rules, STOP debating with those of us that know what we are talking about, and simply READ post #1 on this thread. If that is difficult, here is the applicable section:

Approaching Roundabouts • Reduce your speed and prepare to YIELD to ALL traffic in the roundabout. • Guide signs provide guidance for approach street locations, not lane use orientation

(Note---ALL traffic, not just traffic in the lane you plan to enter---ALL lanes

Navigating Roundabouts • Move up to the entrance line and wait for a gap in traffic. DO NOT ENTER next to a vehicle in the round about, as that vehicle may be exiting at the next exit.

Pretty clear, huh?????
Old 10-20-2023, 08:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Wow, talk about stubborn. Now several other posters have pointed out how wrong you are. You might like the analogy to turning right at a red light, but it does not work that way. You are making up your own rules based on a faulty comparison to something else entirely. STOP making up your own rules, STOP debating with those of us that know what we are talking about, and simply READ post #1 on this thread. If that is difficult, here is the applicable section:

Approaching Roundabouts • Reduce your speed and prepare to YIELD to ALL traffic in the roundabout. • Guide signs provide guidance for approach street locations, not lane use orientation

(Note---ALL traffic, not just traffic in the lane you plan to enter---ALL lanes

Navigating Roundabouts • Move up to the entrance line and wait for a gap in traffic. DO NOT ENTER next to a vehicle in the round about, as that vehicle may be exiting at the next exit.

Pretty clear, huh?????
Stubborn? There are as many posts on this site that state once a driver exits the round about they abruptly make a lane change to line themselves up with the resident gate. Is that legal when you have to cut someone off to do so? Absolutely Not!

We can argue what clear to go in a roundabout means. I am okay with that. I stated, like you, I would not make the right hand turn. Too many drivers switching lanes. But, some drivers make that choice.

However, No way are you allowed to cut someone off on a side street. I don't care how you got to that street. If a car is ahead of you, you yield!

the funny thing is...I am arguing this with you! I am certain neither one of us would ever cut anyone off. Can we just agree on that? Move on? Why are we debating things other people do?

Last edited by Randall55; 10-20-2023 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-20-2023, 08:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
There are many curves on Morse and there are many RBs on Morse. But, there is no RB where entering in the right lane does not result in staying on Morse.

Proving your case is easy, just post the name of the cross street or a picture of the green sign that shows going straight does not stay on Morse.
I do not travel Morse to 466 often. In fact, it was years ago. I was remodeling a home in Creekside Landing. On the way back to my home near Lopez, I stayed in the right hand lane on Morse going through every RAB seamlessly. Then, there was a change and Morse veered to the left. I had to go further, turn around, and rreenter the roundabout. I remember thinking, "it would be nice if they posted this!! Save me a turn around!"

I do not remember the RAB. Like I said, it was years ago. Perhaps, I am remembering it wrong. Who knows?

Lesson learned: Make sure you know all the facts before posting something because Bill will demand you prove it. It happened! And, that is all I have to my tale. You can believe me or not, your choice. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
Old 10-20-2023, 08:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Stubborn? There are as many posts on this site that state once a driver exits the round about they abruptly make a lane change to line themselves up with the resident gate. Is that legal when you have to cut someone off to do so? Absolutely Not!

We can argue what clear to go in a roundabout means. I am okay with that. I stated, like you, I would not make the right hand turn. Too many drivers switching lanes. But, some drivers make that choice.

However, No way are you allowed to cut someone off on a side street. I don't care how you got to that street. If a car is ahead of you, you yield!

the funny thing is...I am arguing this with you! I am certain neither one of us would ever cut anyone off, can we just agree on that? Move on? Why are we debating things other people do?
I love it! Are we talking apples and oranges here? It sounds like you are talking about someone changing lanes and cutting someone off AFTER they exited the RB and are approaching the gates. That would be ridiculous, I agree with you.

The post by Winnie stated he was ENTERING the RB because the lane he was taking (right lane) was clear, although a vehicle was approaching in the inner lane. He was "cut off" when the truck too the same exit. In that scenario he was wrong for entering the RB in the first place

Do two rights make a bigger right?????
Old 10-20-2023, 08:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I love it! Are we talking apples and oranges here? It sounds like you are talking about someone changing lanes and cutting someone off AFTER they exited the RB and are approaching the gates. That would be ridiculous, I agree with you.

The post by Winnie stated he was ENTERING the RB because the lane he was taking (right lane) was clear, although a vehicle was approaching in the inner lane. He was "cut off" when the truck too the same exit. In that scenario he was wrong for entering the RB in the first place

Do two rights make a bigger right?????
Yeah! We are talking about two different posts. I was responding to someone who made a safe right turn exit out of the RAB then someone behind her cut her off on the side street to get to the resident gate first.

I would not respond to the post with the truck. If it is large and pulling a trailer, I wouldn't even think of driving near it in a roundabout. It sends chills down my spine that some drivers do not know to stop and check the surroundings BEFORE entering the circle.

Last edited by Randall55; 10-21-2023 at 12:51 AM.
Old 10-21-2023, 12:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
And as explained in post 207, you are wrong.

Excerpts from the Sumter County BOCC brochure that we all got when we moved here:

Approaching Roundabouts • Reduce your speed and prepare to YIELD to all traffic in the roundabout. • Guide signs provide guidance for approach street locations, not lane use orientation

I have stated that I would not have made the right turn. I would have waited until the roundabout was clear.

However, as you stated, if there is a gap in traffic, you may proceed. A driver saw a gap in her lane before she made the right turn onto the side street. The person behind her should have slowed down if it was his desire to jump his exit lane. Had he exited slowly, and kept his lane, the cars would not have nearly collided.

Is the driver who made the right turn right or wrong? To me, it doesn't matter! If I came off the RAB and saw that vehicle in front of me, I would have slowed down and kept my lane. It would not make sense to speed up, jump the lane, and cut the vehicle off.

Slow down, and keep your lane are also rules of roundabouts. You do not pick and choose.

Last edited by Randall55; 10-21-2023 at 01:58 AM.
Old 10-21-2023, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
I am just stating there MOST DEFINITELY is a place near Sumter going to 466 where Morse curves to the left.

You assumed I broke the traffic rules. I did not! I was in the right lane and went straight thru as that was my only option.

Then, I turned around, headed back to the RAB and excited correctly.

Some people would have switched lanes in the RAB when they made a mistake. I did not!
Quote:
I do not travel Morse to 466 often. In fact, it was years ago. I was remodeling a home in Creekside Landing. On the way back to my home near Lopez, I stayed in the right hand lane on Morse going through every RAB seamlessly. Then, there was a change and Morse veered to the left. I had to go further, turn around, and rreenter the roundabout. I remember thinking, "it would be nice if they posted this!! Save me a turn around!"

I do not remember the RAB. Like I said, it was years ago. Perhaps, I am remembering it wrong. Who knows?

Lesson learned: Make sure you know all the facts before posting something because Bill will demand you prove it. It happened! And, that is all I have to my tale. You can believe me or not, your choice. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
Just check my signature. For quite some time part of it has been, " Why do people insist on making claims without looking them up first, do they really think no one will check?" If a claim is made, particularly if the claim is asserted by yelling (all caps), and if it sounds wrong or it is something I didn't know then I'm likely to look into it.

I have been the entire length of Morse many times in the past two years and I didn't remember any such left hand turn that was confusing in a RAB. But maybe I was wrong and maybe I was spreading bad information. If so then I want to correct myself. Asking for the cross street or green sign would have shown me what it was that I wasn't remembering.

If "it was years ago" then certainly things might have changed. Years ago Sumter Landing, Brownwood, Rohan, and the circles with Meggison Rd didn't exist. Morse could have looked a lot different then. Perhaps it did have a left curve and a difficult RAB at that time. Fortunately, it appears that situation was corrected.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 10-21-2023, 09:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Just check my signature. For quite some time part of it has been, " Why do people insist on making claims without looking them up first, do they really think no one will check?" If a claim is made, particularly if the claim is asserted by yelling (all caps), and if it sounds wrong or it is something I didn't know then I'm likely to look into it.

I have been the entire length of Morse many times in the past two years and I didn't remember any such left hand turn that was confusing in a RAB. But maybe I was wrong and maybe I was spreading bad information. If so then I want to correct myself. Asking for the cross street or green sign would have shown me what it was that I wasn't remembering.

If "it was years ago" then certainly things might have changed. Years ago Sumter Landing, Brownwood, Rohan, and the circles with Meggison Rd didn't exist. Morse could have looked a lot different then. Perhaps it did have a left curve and a difficult RAB at that time. Fortunately, it appears that situation was corrected.
Hope you do not feel that I was taking a dig at you. I wasn't! It's nice to have people like you keeping us on the straight and narrow.
Old 02-26-2024, 02:08 PM
Default Common sense on roundabouts!

The only thing all drivers have to do is understand the large green roundabout signs that are located on every roundabout and watch the on road markings!

Drive as if no one ever reads these helpful road signs!
Old 02-26-2024, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
The only thing all drivers have to do is understand the large green roundabout signs that are located on every roundabout and watch the on road markings!

Drive as if no one ever reads these helpful road signs!
Not new and earth shattering info somewhere in the previous 170 posts it’s mentioned many, many times.
Old 03-23-2024, 04:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

YAY! Roundabouts are doing a Lazarus!
Old 03-24-2024, 02:44 AM

I’m a newbie & my use of RABs is: enter when check that no vehicle is in either lane. Be in the left lane if exiting the 3rd or 4th (u-turn) exit. Be in the right lane for exit 1 & 2. WATCH OUT for other cars/bikes/walkers/ & cars cutting you off. Go around more than once if exit not correct or not safe & use exit 4 (do uturn) if I goofed up which lane & lots of traffic.
Am I doing it correctly ?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.