How to Navigate Roundabouts

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 12-21-2017, 06:23 AM
l2ridehd's Avatar
l2ridehd l2ridehd is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bridgeport At Miona Shores
Posts: 3,511
Thanks: 1
Thanked 140 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Ah, but the lines are part of the problem. Look at this picture of the Morse/Stillwater RAB. If you follow the broken lines, there is no reason why a driver in the outside lane cannot go 3/4 of the way around. There is also no reason someone can't enter in the outside lane, transition to the inside lane in the RAB, and exit in the outside lane. The lines are broken. It's much better to pay attention to the signs before the RAB that designate how you must proceed depending on which lane you are in entering the RAB.

A roundabout is nothing but a traffic light replacement. Treat it that way. If turning right enter on the right. If turning left enter on the left. If going straight through use either lane. So simple.

If you were coming south on Morse and hit the light at 466. Would you stay in the right lane to make a left hand turn? That is what your doing if you go 3/4 the way around a circle in the right hand lane.

Would you enter the traffic light intersection on a red light? Would you enter if another car was in the intersection? That is what your doing if you don't yield to both lanes for cars already in the circle.

It's a traffic light replacement, treat it that way and everything works.
__________________
Life is to short to drink cheap wine.
  #47  
Old 12-21-2017, 08:16 AM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,271
Thanks: 104
Thanked 391 Times in 195 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
A roundabout is nothing but a traffic light replacement. Treat it that way. If turning right enter on the right. If turning left enter on the left. If going straight through use either lane. So simple.

If you were coming south on Morse and hit the light at 466. Would you stay in the right lane to make a left hand turn? That is what your doing if you go 3/4 the way around a circle in the right hand lane.

Would you enter the traffic light intersection on a red light? Would you enter if another car was in the intersection? That is what your doing if you don't yield to both lanes for cars already in the circle.

It's a traffic light replacement, treat it that way and everything works.
That's how someone explained it to me six years ago. Your simple explanation should be posted at the roundabouts! Or at least, everyone should have to listen to this explanation when they pick up their IDs or guest passes. It's simple, makes sense, is easy to remember.
__________________
Happiness is when your life on the outside matches your life on the inside.
  #48  
Old 12-21-2017, 09:15 AM
John_W's Avatar
John_W John_W is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove
Posts: 4,746
Thanks: 326
Thanked 570 Times in 296 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by bikeman
That is when this SUV came up from behind us in the left lane and crossed in front of our lane to turn right on El Camino Real just missing the lead rider by inches, and mean inches. Had he not turned his from wheel to the right just a little, he would have been hit. No telling what injuries might have occurred if the contact had happened. Fortunately, the last cyclist had a camera going and we were able to get the license number.
The Villages Florida
  #49  
Old 12-25-2017, 08:46 AM
kappy's Avatar
kappy kappy is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sabal Chase
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

CF. If you look at the roundabout brochure, on both the front page and the back page, it shows a vehicle making a left turn, (going 3/4 around), must start from the left hand lane, stay in the left hand lane and , when exiting, remain in that lane. This means that when you go into a gate after making a left hand turn, you must enter the visitors gate.

Last edited by kappy; 12-26-2017 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Typo
  #50  
Old 12-25-2017, 09:09 AM
twoplanekid's Avatar
twoplanekid twoplanekid is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton
Posts: 1,458
Thanks: 1
Thanked 100 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappy View Post
CF. If you look at the roundabout brochure, on both the front page and the back page, it shows a vehicle making a left turn, (going 3/4 around), must start from the left hand lane, stay in the left hand lane and , when exiting, remain in that lane. This means that when you go into a gate after making a left hand lane, you must enter the visitors gate.
Not necessary true for every roundabout - see my post #40 It all depends on the markings in the roundabout.
  #51  
Old 12-25-2017, 09:57 AM
Polar Bear's Avatar
Polar Bear Polar Bear is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,168
Thanks: 78
Thanked 300 Times in 139 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappy View Post
...when you go into a gate after making a left hand lane, you must enter the visitors gate.
Simply not true.

And Merry Christmas.
  #52  
Old 12-25-2017, 10:43 AM
suesiegel suesiegel is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,420
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default For what it is worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
This SUV tried to run over one of our cyclist the other day. Going north on Buena Vista by the Savannah center round about, our group after stopping to let other cars clear, started north again. That is when this SUV came up from behind us in the left lane and crossed in front of our lane to turn right on El Camino Real just missing the lead rider by inches, and mean inches. Had he not turned his from wheel to the right just a little, he would have been hit. No telling what injuries might have occurred if the contact had happened. Fortunately, the last cyclist had a camera going and we were able to get the license number. We called the Sumter County police, and officer Wills, to report the incident. We were not looking to ticket the driver, but to let him/her know that crossing two lanes at a high rate of speed is jeopardizing the safety, and maybe the life of these cyclist. The officer refused to help even after giving him the license number. I wonder if the same officer would have shown any interest if this SUV had collided with the bicycle? I guess someone has to be injured before this officer would help with the situation. If you know this person, please notify them that what they did was totally wrong, and could have cost someone their life just to make the turn 5 seconds earlier. They never stopped, or even acknowledged any wrong doing. Even after giving the Sumter County officer the license number he refused to do anything telling me that Florida license plates has 6 numbers/letters not 5. I know that vanity plates in Florida can have less than 6. I am not sure why he chose not to pursue this problem, or at least make a call telling them they are now being watched and should be more considerate of cyclist. Here is a picture of the SUV. Please let me know if you know this person. License # SJE IT
Thanks for caring,
Attachment 58250
I drive a car, a golf cart and ride a bike. As posted by others. We all know the round a bouts are dangerous.

In the original post the RULES have been posted. In my view, BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE, assuming that other drivers, YOU KNOW THE ONES THAT ARE GOING TO RISK YOU LIFE AND THEIR'S, know the laws and are going to follow them is a stretch.

We all think others are wrong. NO THAT IS NOT MY CAR.
I was not there BUT, I've seen the bike clubs out ridding in a mass of 20 plus bikes some ridding side by side and stretched out for half a block or more.

WHO IS WRONG? That seems to be your view. In my view, from your post, you are well aware that if a car hits a bike the bike will get the worst of it. Fortunately no one was hit. You should think about the best way to AVOID such encounters. REALIZE few drives realize the SPEEDS you bike riders travel at. The fact that nany of you will follow the leader, on his wheel with no independent thought
and that a sudden stop will likely result in a pile up etc etc etc
  #53  
Old 12-25-2017, 12:44 PM
Polar Bear's Avatar
Polar Bear Polar Bear is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,168
Thanks: 78
Thanked 300 Times in 139 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
...We all know the round a bouts are dangerous...
No more so than other intersections.
  #54  
Old 12-26-2017, 11:13 AM
kappy's Avatar
kappy kappy is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sabal Chase
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Simply not true.

And Merry Christmas.
Never change lanes between the 2nd and 3rd exits. The broken white line dividing the inner and outer lanes does not mean you may change lanes while inside the roundabout. The broken white line is there so that vehicles entering the roundabout can enter in either lane, depending on where they are going.

A vehicle entering a roundabout that is going 3/4 around, must be able to enter in the left hand lane, thereby crossing the broken white line. This is the same as if they were at a traffic light and were going to make a left hand turn onto a 4 lane road. Once you enter the road in the left lane, you can change lanes to the right lane. Approximately 30-40% of all drivers make this error by directly entering the right lane. (This information comes from “Professional Driving With Richard” that used to be printed in The Villages Homeowners Association monthly newsletters).

I have sent emails to Mrs. Tutt suggesting that the signs as you enter any 2 lane gate should indicate that the “Visitors” gate should read, “Residents and Visitors”. That is one of the reasons that residents can enter the visitors gate with their gate card.
  #55  
Old 12-26-2017, 05:17 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,271
Thanks: 104
Thanked 391 Times in 195 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappy View Post
Never change lanes between the 2nd and 3rd exits. The broken white line dividing the inner and outer lanes does not mean you may change lanes while inside the roundabout. The broken white line is there so that vehicles entering the roundabout can enter in either lane, depending on where they are going.

A vehicle entering a roundabout that is going 3/4 around, must be able to enter in the left hand lane, thereby crossing the broken white line. This is the same as if they were at a traffic light and were going to make a left hand turn onto a 4 lane road. Once you enter the road in the left lane, you can change lanes to the right lane. Approximately 30-40% of all drivers make this error by directly entering the right lane. (This information comes from “Professional Driving With Richard” that used to be printed in The Villages Homeowners Association monthly newsletters).

I have sent emails to Mrs. Tutt suggesting that the signs as you enter any 2 lane gate should indicate that the “Visitors” gate should read, “Residents and Visitors”. That is one of the reasons that residents can enter the visitors gate with their gate card.
Weirdly, in the state of FL, when you make a left hand turn onto a four lane road, you can go into either lane. If you turn right, you must turn into the same lane and then change lanes if you want after the turn.

Roundabouts... Do what the signs say that you encounter before the roundabout
__________________
Happiness is when your life on the outside matches your life on the inside.
  #56  
Old 12-27-2017, 12:01 AM
MorTech MorTech is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 494
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Default

I bet that if the Developer had to do TV over, they would make all the traffic circles single lane and merge the two lanes to one just before the circle. Traffic flow would suffer but accidents would be avoided with those who can't seem to grasp the concept of "Yield" signage and "ALL traffic in the circle have the right of way".

The Visitor lane is for visitors only and there are reasons why the Gate Guard controls the Visitor gate...It has to do with resident right of way and MMP crossing.
  #57  
Old 12-27-2017, 08:52 AM
maureenod maureenod is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 390
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
I bet that if the Developer had to do TV over, they would make all the traffic circles single lane and merge the two lanes to one just before the circle. Traffic flow would suffer but accidents would be avoided with those who can't seem to grasp the concept of "Yield" signage and "ALL traffic in the circle have the right of way".

The Visitor lane is for visitors only and there are reasons why the Gate Guard controls the Visitor gate...It has to do with resident right of way and MMP crossing.
EXACTLY, I was in Killarney last August, high tourist season with many small roundabouts. Two lanes merged gradually into one. Everything went smoothly.

A few I encountered were 2 lanes and " Yikes", what a free for all. And no one signals.
  #58  
Old 12-27-2017, 09:02 AM
Polar Bear's Avatar
Polar Bear Polar Bear is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,168
Thanks: 78
Thanked 300 Times in 139 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
I bet that if the Developer had to do TV over, they would make all the traffic circles single lane and merge the two lanes to one just before the circle...
Never in a million years. Then the capacity of all roads in TV would be halved...or worse.

The existing roundabouts are fine. Of course they are different than what many people are used to and require a period of adjustment. But they are as safe as signalized or stop sign intersections with far more capacity.

Traffic volumes matter. It's what dictates road design. Single lane roundabouts would never work in TV. The developer and his transportation experts knew that.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 12-27-2017 at 09:08 AM.
  #59  
Old 12-27-2017, 09:15 AM
Marathon Man Marathon Man is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,123
Thanks: 2
Thanked 473 Times in 186 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappy View Post
Never change lanes between the 2nd and 3rd exits. The broken white line dividing the inner and outer lanes does not mean you may change lanes while inside the roundabout. The broken white line is there so that vehicles entering the roundabout can enter in either lane, depending on where they are going.

A vehicle entering a roundabout that is going 3/4 around, must be able to enter in the left hand lane, thereby crossing the broken white line. This is the same as if they were at a traffic light and were going to make a left hand turn onto a 4 lane road. Once you enter the road in the left lane, you can change lanes to the right lane. Approximately 30-40% of all drivers make this error by directly entering the right lane. (This information comes from “Professional Driving With Richard” that used to be printed in The Villages Homeowners Association monthly newsletters).

I have sent emails to Mrs. Tutt suggesting that the signs as you enter any 2 lane gate should indicate that the “Visitors” gate should read, “Residents and Visitors”. That is one of the reasons that residents can enter the visitors gate with their gate card.
Too many folks believe that since they are residents, that they should always go through the resident gate. They change lanes in the middle of the roundabout, crossing from the inner to the outer lane. This is an unsafe maneuver.

Friends - it is ok to enter through the visitor gate. I do it all the time when I am in the inner lane of the roundabout. Simply stay there and use the left exit lane to the gate. This is the proper and safe thing to do.

If you don't agree with me, please take a look at the brochure. It clearly shows the proper exit from the inner lane.

Thank you for your attention.
  #60  
Old 12-27-2017, 11:43 AM
Polar Bear's Avatar
Polar Bear Polar Bear is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,168
Thanks: 78
Thanked 300 Times in 139 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
...it is ok to enter through the visitor gate. I do it all the time when I am in the inner lane of the roundabout. Simply stay there and use the left exit lane to the gate. This is the proper and safe thing to do...
Correctamundo.
Reply

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 AM.