How to reset a GFI circuit?

Old 05-21-2024, 12:17 PM

The NEC (National Electrical Code) requires that all receptacles controlled by a GFCI be identified. That is why you get many stickers saying GFCI when you buy a ground fault circuit interrupter.
The code requires that ground fault circuit interrupters be installed in all areas where a human might come in contact with the earth, directly or indirectly. That includes, but not limited to, the kitchen, bathrooms, all outdoor receptacles, and the garage.
The GFCI works by monitoring the current in both wires, usually black and white, and if there is a difference of more than 6 mA, it assumes the difference is going through a human and shuts the circuit off. It only takes about 15 to 20 mA to electrocute you. Anytime you are standing directly on the earth. You are standing on one side of a 120 V circuit. Hope all that makes sense.
Old 05-21-2024, 01:12 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLonzo View Post
My TV house has several electrical outlets labelled ‘GFCI protected’. However, they don’t have a test/reset button like ones I’m familiar with (past houses). The circuit in question is labelled ‘exterior receptacles’ at the breaker box. That switch has been tripped and won’t reset. How do you reset a tripped GFI circuit?
Hello Mr. Lonzo! Homes in the Villages (2018 to current) have the GFCI protection at the circuit breakers versus the GFCI outlets with test and reset buttons. Common misconception is, you do not need to push the test button on these breakers. Instead, all you have to do is with force, push those breakers to the OFF position (opposite of the direction of the row) then bring to the ON position (align with others in row). You must be sure everything is unplugged from the outlets prior to do this as well. Call us if you need us - Casandra with Pike's Electric

(352)748-6251
Old 05-21-2024, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstevens View Post
The NEC (National Electrical Code) requires that all receptacles controlled by a GFCI be identified. That is why you get many stickers saying GFCI when you buy a ground fault circuit interrupter.
The code requires that ground fault circuit interrupters be installed in all areas where a human might come in contact with the earth, directly or indirectly. That includes, but not limited to, the kitchen, bathrooms, all outdoor receptacles, and the garage.
The GFCI works by monitoring the current in both wires, usually black and white, and if there is a difference of more than 6 mA, it assumes the difference is going through a human and shuts the circuit off. It only takes about 15 to 20 mA to electrocute you. Anytime you are standing directly on the earth. You are standing on one side of a 120 V circuit. Hope all that makes sense.
Interesting information but completely off topic.
Old 05-21-2024, 07:50 PM

UTUBE knows all
Old 05-21-2024, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Interesting information but completely off topic.
Yes …very interesting. I’m a widow learning how to do everything my husband took care of.
I learn a LOT from explainations like Dr Steven’s. You might consider it off topic.
I consider it excellent background information.
If you don’t like someone’s post just scroll on by.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:39 AM

Quote:
My TV house has several electrical outlets labelled ‘GFCI protected’. However, they don’t have a test/reset button like ones I’m familiar with (past houses). The circuit in question is labelled ‘exterior receptacles’ at the breaker box. That switch has been tripped and won’t reset. How do you reset a tripped GFI circuit?
You need to know where all your GFCI reset outlets are located because outlets are linked. Be sure to check in the Garage and out on your Lani.
Old 05-22-2024, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,428 Times in 4,396 Posts

Some of the resettable GFI outlets used by TV are very hard to reset with your finger.

An electrician who came to replace an outlet I had accidentally fried gave me this tip: Use a small blade screwdriver to bush the button back in when you reset the outlet. Works like a charm!

-Tom Petty
Old 05-22-2024, 01:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
The outlets in the kitchen are daisy-chained to one with a GFCI. If you trip it, that is wher you reset them all. The bathroom outlets are on the outside outlet circuit.
Old 05-25-2024, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Some of the resettable GFI outlets used by TV are very hard to reset with your finger.

An electrician who came to replace an outlet I had accidentally fried gave me this tip: Use a small blade screwdriver to bush the button back in when you reset the outlet. Works like a charm!
. And preferably a non-metallic screwdriver just in case it slips past the button.
Old 05-26-2024, 06:37 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,194 Times in 595 Posts
Default Sometimes

You can disconnect an outlet in the circuit and see if the circuit breaker does the same thing (won’t reset). If it resets, then the problem lies past that outlet in the circuit. Isolate the problem/outlet and inspect it. Once you have found the issue, look for touching wires, moisture etc.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde

Tags
reset, circuit, gfi, tripped, labelled

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.