How to reset a GFI circuit?

Old 05-20-2024, 09:13 AM
Default How to reset a GFI circuit?

My TV house has several electrical outlets labelled ‘GFCI protected’. However, they don’t have a test/reset button like ones I’m familiar with (past houses). The circuit in question is labelled ‘exterior receptacles’ at the breaker box. That switch has been tripped and won’t reset. How do you reset a tripped GFI circuit?
Old 05-20-2024, 09:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,008 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLonzo View Post
My TV house has several electrical outlets labelled ‘GFCI protected’. However, they don’t have a test/reset button like ones I’m familiar with (past houses). The circuit in question is labelled ‘exterior receptacles’ at the breaker box. That switch has been tripped and won’t reset. How do you reset a tripped GFI circuit?
Is there another GFCI outlet nearby? I have two in my garage and only one has a reset, but that resets both outlets.
Old 05-20-2024, 09:32 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,029 Times in 780 Posts

One GFI can control other outlets our GFI in guest bath controls master bath outlet. Kitchen counter by sink GFI controls every outlet in kitchen.
Old 05-20-2024, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,458 Times in 2,346 Posts

Quote:
In the circuit breaker panel, you MUST move the circuit breaker handle to the FULL OFF position and then to the ON position. This will reset the breaker. If you just try to turn the breaker on from the tripped position it will not reset and will not turn on.

Please feel free to send me a PM and we can discuss further over the phone.
Old 05-20-2024, 04:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,167 Times in 836 Posts

I had a GFCI trip in the kitchen this morning and waiting for 1/2 hour for coffee.
In our house it's coffee first then the day can begin.
Old 05-20-2024, 05:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,433 Times in 4,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
In the circuit breaker panel, you MUST move the circuit breaker handle to the FULL OFF position and then to the ON position. This will reset the breaker. If you just try to turn the breaker on from the tripped position it will not reset and will not turn on.

Please feel free to send me a PM and we can discuss further over the phone.
The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 05-20-2024, 06:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,363 Times in 2,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Is there another GFCI outlet nearby? I have two in my garage and only one has a reset, but that resets both outlets.
We have the same thing
Old 05-21-2024, 05:18 AM

Quote:
One switched GFCI can controlled others hence the outlet labeled GFCU Contrilled. Look in the other bathrooms and kitchen for one with a switch.
Old 05-21-2024, 05:31 AM
Default breaker's

Quote:
all my kitchen outlets are controlled by breaker in panel in garage...little yellow button on breaker,there are no resets on the outlet itself.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:40 AM
Default Most circuits have one gif I breaker

It is standard practice to have each circuit in a home daisy-changed. Then the first outlet is equipped with a gfci (ground fault circuit interrupter) or the circuit breaker in the service box is equipped with a gfci breaker. If an improper ground occurs anywhere on the circuit, the gfci trips and all of the outlets and lights on that circuit go off.

You just have to find the outlet that is the first outlet on that circuit and reset it. If it is in the service box you may have to push the bar on the breaker to the left to reset it then push it to the on position.

If you can’t easily reset the gfci, it means you still have a ground fault somewhere on the circuit that has to be corrected. If the circuit has outside outlets and there has been a recent heavy storm, the ground fault could be due to rain filling one of the outside boxes with water.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:55 AM
Veteran member

One GFI can cover several outlets. When a heavy rain tripped my outdoor lights I went crazy looking for the GFI. It was in the corner of the garage. Look for outlets with tiny green lights. Those are what you need to reset. If the light is red it means it has tripped. Be aware that these can be tough to reset so that the green light returns. I suggest you search your home for these so you are prepared if one trips.
Old 05-21-2024, 07:46 AM

Quote:
In our Courtyard Villa, the GFI outlet on the interior of our garage wall is the reset for all our exterior GFI outlets.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If it will not reset once you find the button and turned the circuit breaker off and on.
Unplug everything from the affected outlets, then try resetting.
Rain had affected my post lamp and I had to wait a day for it to dry out.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillagernie View Post
all my kitchen outlets are controlled by breaker in panel in garage...little yellow button on breaker,there are no resets on the outlet itself.
I think this is how all my GFIs are, none of them reset at the outlet.
Old 05-21-2024, 09:46 AM

I did some more checking, and still could not find any GFCI reset outlets anywhere. The breaker still did not reset.

There is one exterior outlet on the tripped circuit that is exposed to the weather, so I decided to pull that out for closer inspection. The outlet itself looked clean, no sign of moisture, corrosion, deterioration, etc. It looked brand new!

I sprayed some compressed air in the ground hole as I did see a few dead bugs in the area. This action seemed to allow resetting of the breaker and the outlet is again working ok. My theory is that a spider or other bug got into that outlet ground hole and left some debris that was causing the fault. If it gives me any more problem, I’ll probably just replace that outlet.

I am befuddled, though, to find out I have no GFI reset outlets! House is a Courtyard Villa, approx. 4 years old. Are they not putting them in the newer homes?

Tags
reset, circuit, gfi, tripped, labelled

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.