How to signal Golf Carts that didn't cancel turn signal ?

Closed Thread
Old 01-25-2023, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,046 Times in 1,757 Posts

Most of us should know some of the motorcyclists hand signals, the cops use them to guide traffic. I didn’t realize the hand touching the helmet meant, “let’s get fuel”. If anyone did that in front of me, I would have thought it meant, “I have a headache”….
Old 01-25-2023, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALEPQ View Post
Have definitely seen this fairly frequently, Golf Carts that have their turn signals blinking
when they have obviously failed to turn the signal off.
Is there any effective/acceptable way to signal them from a vehicle to get their attention
to cancel their turn blinking ? (To do it the safest way.)
In my car, if I'm in front of someone who leaves a blinker on I put my blinker on Left, Right, Left, Right, Left, etc over and over. Usually seeing me do this causes them to look down and see they forgot to shut it off
Old 01-25-2023, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,565 Times in 3,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Oh that was you that made me miss my tee time because I had to go home and change my shorts.
Well that's what you get for not turning off your turn signal.
Old 01-25-2023, 06:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,565 Times in 3,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Most of us should know some of the motorcyclists hand signals, the cops use them to guide traffic. I didn’t realize the hand touching the helmet meant, “let’s get fuel”. If anyone did that in front of me, I would have thought it meant, “I have a headache”….
When I use a helmet (when riding my bicycle) I touch my helmet sometimes. It means "gosh when I stop, I need to tighten my helmet. It's a little loose and I have to keep nudging it up."
Old 01-25-2023, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

With cars of golf carts, I would not trust a turn signal. It is wise to wait for them to start the turn.
I do use my turn signals. Florida has been listed as having the worst drivers in the nation.
You do not know who is around you.
Old 01-25-2023, 08:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,302 Times in 4,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
With cars of golf carts, I would not trust a turn signal. It is wise to wait for them to start the turn.
I do use my turn signals. Florida has been listed as having the worst drivers in the nation.
You do not know who is around you.
You should never trust a turn signal ANYWHERE...

My daughter was t-boned when she trusted a turn signal and the driver decided not to turn... Luckily, she walked away... Her car was totaled...

-Tom Petty
Old 01-25-2023, 10:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

They should fully outlaw turn signals on all golf carts because they are useless. Since 1/3rd never shut them off, 1/3rd never turn them on, 20% have the wrong one flashing and the rest use them correctly, it is IMPOSSIBLE to trust ANY GOLF cart signal or when there is no signal so why does it matter if they blink forever, never or the wrong direction? They are simply useless. At least on CARS the vast majority (not all) are correct and the "trust rating" is much greater but on golf carts, fuggetaboutit! The ones that keep blinking are just annoying so just disable them all and just try to read the drivers minds on what they plan on doing. You probably have a better chance that way.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 01-25-2023, 10:14 PM

I also wonder what to do when I see a golf cart or car in pitch black of night with the headlights off thus no tail lights either. Must be easy for police to figure them out.
Old 01-26-2023, 04:21 AM

Have anyone ever thought about minding your own business , driver will eventually figure it out .
Old 01-26-2023, 04:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,875 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
Amazing that self canceling turn signals or seat belts don't come standard with a 2023 Yamaha, it's an upcharge.
I think that is primarily because they are meant to be golf carts, not alternative transportation. Turn signals and seatbelts aren’t generally needed while playing golf. Probably 90% of golf carts don’t need them (just a guess). They should be mandatory on carts sold here, though. (Oh, wait, that wouldn’t be appropriate in the Free State.) Well, recommended as a potential life saver and accident preventer.
Old 01-26-2023, 04:57 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,875 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALEPQ View Post
Have definitely seen this fairly frequently, Golf Carts that have their turn signals blinking
when they have obviously failed to turn the signal off.
Is there any effective/acceptable way to signal them from a vehicle to get their attention
to cancel their turn blinking ? (To do it the safest way.)
If you are in a car, roll down your passenger window and, as you glide past, shout “Turn Signal!” You don’t need to be rude and add “You deaf fool!” or “Put in your hearing aids!” By doing this, you may prevent an accident. Or cause one. If you see a firearm, accelerate quickly.
Old 01-26-2023, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mayes View Post
I'm sure ALL golf cart drivers are well aware of these motorcycle hand signals. There are probably only 20% of Motorcycle riders who know these hand signals.
Old 01-26-2023, 05:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,444 Times in 2,541 Posts

When I learnt to drive, directional hand signals were part of the test.
Mind you, in bad weather, I always felt sorry for the man who had to walk in front of vehicle carrying the red flag!
Old 01-26-2023, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
You should never trust a turn signal ANYWHERE...

My daughter was t-boned when she trusted a turn signal and the driver decided not to turn... Luckily, she walked away... Her car was totaled...
I may have mentioned this here before, but while driving in vegas behind some fool with a right turn signal on, he goes into the turn and as I'm about to pass him then decides to turn back and come out again. I had to hit the brakes; if I would've sped up more he would've hit me. Good thing I was watching him and not distracted. We've all seen some people who just drive like there's no one else on the road.

Back to the turn signals: on the new yamaha the arrow lights on the side view mirrors help remind me for times I may forget, though one time I caught myself with it still blinking about 20 seconds after the turn further down the path.
Was relieved that no blinker yellers were around.
Old 01-26-2023, 07:01 AM

Very serious problem. Not sure of what signal to use other than pointing or yelling. All cart manufacturers should be required to put self canceling directionals in. They are an option, I had them put in. Not having them is dangerous and potentially deadly. Everyone should have them added to their cart.
Closed Thread

Tags
turn, signal, golf, carts, cancel

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.