Hurricane Parties

Closed Thread
Old 09-27-2022, 05:58 AM
Default Hurricane Parties....really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffin View Post
All this information about prepping for a hurricane but nary a mention of hurricane parties. Folks need to pick up on the native Florida vibe. Stock up on plenty of rum and mixers and break out the lawn chairs for garage parties to watch it come in.

Ingredients

2 ounces light rum
2 ounces dark rum
3 ounces Passion Fruit juice (or juice blend)
3 ounces orange juice
Juice of half a lime
2 tablespoons grenadine syrup
Orange slices and maraschino cherries for garnish, if desired
Ice cubes.
Yeah...they used to have them in South Florida until Hurricane Andrew ( and since then many others) came in killing many people who too stupid to be wary and ready. Stay safe and sober.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffin View Post
All this information about prepping for a hurricane but nary a mention of hurricane parties.
The NHC says we are not getting a hurricane here in TV.
Old 09-27-2022, 10:44 AM

It's not really a thing anymore, maybe 35 years ago when some people thought putting masking tape on your windows was going to protect you. Most long time Floridians know that hurricanes are no joke and hurricane parties were hosted by newbies and out of towners.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:52 AM

This is why it’s important to have gas appliances. You need to be able to make pancakes and bacon during the hurricane
Old 09-27-2022, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean G View Post
This is why it’s important to have gas appliances. You need to be able to make pancakes and bacon during the hurricane
It seems like the pilotless igniter would have a problem without electricity so I wonder if the stove will allow gas to flow if it knows it can't ignite it.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-27-2022, 12:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
It seems like the pilotless igniter would have a problem without electricity so I wonder if the stove will allow gas to flow if it knows it can't ignite it.
All modern GE gas stoves will light without electricity. The stove doesn't "know" anything, it just lets the gas flow to the burners when you turn it on whether they're lit or not, same story with a gas grill with an automatic igniter if the igniter stops working.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
All modern GE gas stoves will light without electricity. The stove doesn't "know" anything, it just lets the gas flow to the burners when you turn it on whether they're lit or not, same story with a gas grill with an automatic igniter if the igniter stops working.
My gas grill requires that I press the spring-loaded igniter button to make it spark. Other gas grills require batteries to run the igniter. What does the GE stove have to make it light without electricity?

(Note: I do see instructions for lighting a newer stove with a match.)

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-27-2022, 03:16 PM
Veteran member

For the gas stoves they recommend a match, presumably for safety to light each burner. I normally just use a handheld grill/utility lighter to light mine when there's a power outage.

Edit: I should add a word of extreme caution. When running a gas appliance indoors, you should always have venting to the outside to avoid CO2 buildup inside your home. You MUST have adequate windows/doors open to the outside if your overhead fan is not operational due to a power outage.

Last edited by MrChip72; 09-27-2022 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:22 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorman View Post
Ingredients

2 ounces light rum
2 ounces dark rum
3 ounces Passion Fruit juice (or juice blend)
3 ounces orange juice
Juice of half a lime
2 tablespoons grenadine syrup
Orange slices and maraschino cherries for garnish, if desired
Ice cubes.

That is a Category 4, a Category 5 has 2.5 ounces light rum & 2.5 ounces dark rum.
I like the way you think! But now it's 1 oz. Light/1 oz. Dark...Boooo!
Old 09-29-2022, 06:55 AM

We had a small party back in the 80's during Hurricane Iwa in Hawaii. Co-worker's house up the road from where we worked after the store was closed. Dark skies at 5pm with more rain and wind than usual and several small trees in the road on the short convoy to her place. The 10 of us stayed inside, played cards and charades, and rode the weather out for a few hours. Had a couple of screwdrivers with a bit more vodka than usual. Fun lasting memories.
Closed Thread

Tags
juice, ounces, hurricane, parties, rum

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.