Hurricane prep in The Villages??

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2022, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,120 Times in 5,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I remember all the help you gave me to select the correct generator for cases like this. Well, I was injured about 2 years ago and the last thing on my mind was my pristine generator. It's a big paperweight. I was great with small engines when I was youngin so I'm going out this very moment to give it a shot. I just wanna save the food and put in a window A/C and run the Cpap. Staying alive is sorta important.

I never gave the generator a second thought. I walk past it several times a day. I guess that's why we have so many memory centers around here. I'm not like that, it's rough to admit but I really goofed up this time.
Make a list of friends around here and if you lose power keep calling until you find one with power and head over there with your cpap
Old 09-25-2022, 02:46 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,978 Times in 757 Posts

Haven’t heard a peep from the Weather Club
Old 09-25-2022, 02:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
This will be my first hurricane (if it hits us).

Before I moved here, I would always see news reports of hurricane prep with people boarding up windows and putting sandbags down.

Do people here board up windows or place sandbags around their homes? Or is that just on the coast?

Should I be watching football this afternoon or getting the house ready? Thanks.
Different strokes for different folks. Hurricane is expected weds. We have time-warning.
I just finished cutting back plants from my home. How far back, that is the question. I am cut back for 50 mph winds. If, we get 120 mph winds, it would require digging out most plants.
Water-our system works on gravity. The water is pumped up to the towers that all all over the place. I assume they have generator to opperate the pumps. If the tower goes empty-NO WATER. We do not have a bath tub. If you do I would first see that the drain does not leak. If, it does, common, I would buy or make one of the old fashioned disks that cover the drain.
I use a 40 gallon food grade container and fill it with water. You can use this to flush the toilets-be sure you know how.
Be sure you have a mop-rags. Lights? Batteries? Battery powered radio? Duct tape? Rope?
Meds? Matches?
We've not had a REAL hurricane in 10 years. Imagine rain being blown by 120 mph winds.
BETTER TO FEEL DUMB FOR OVER PREPARING THAN BEING WET WITH YOUR HOME AND BELONGINGS DESTROYED.
Old 09-25-2022, 03:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Make a list of friends around here and if you lose power keep calling until you find one with power and head over there with your cpap
I do not have a generator was on my to do, never done list. I remember a twighlight zone story where the guy builds a fallout shelter and his neighbors laughed at him. Then there was a bomb alert and all his neighbors were pounding on his door to get in. Hurricane Sandy we were without electricity for like five days-not Florida. My neighbor had a generator. He could not or would not help others. Five days with no power. That was strange. Your cycle changes early to bed early to rise became normal. I still have my coleman lanterns. For others, besure you have fuel and MANTLES.
Old 09-25-2022, 04:13 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Been here 10 years and lost power once for an hour. Last hurricane had cable and electricity the entire time. Most of time it’s a tropical storm here
Old 09-25-2022, 04:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Been here 10 years and lost power once for an hour. Last hurricane had cable and electricity the entire time. Most of time it’s a tropical storm here
Good points.

I heard awhile back that this area is where they evacuate people TO in case of a hurricane. That should tell us something.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

My hurricane preparedness so far.......

I did not put out my lighted pumpkins.

I did not hang my Autumn door wreath.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:52 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

In summation of comments, so far.

Those who have experienced some sort of disaster or would be in trouble if one occurred; prepare.

Those who have experienced one, do not prepare.

Those that prepare do so in their own ways at their pace. While the unprepared simply play the odds always believing they hold some level of superior knowledge above the rest of us. Examples include:

I will go to my list of friends and stay with them to power my CPAP machine (no problem with this logic, it will never fail).

I will evacuate only if there is an emergency (the roads will be open, travel will not be slow, I can easily get gasoline, I can easily find a close, comfortable hotel).

It never has happened to me, therefore, it never will happen (solid logic).
Old 09-25-2022, 08:13 PM

Quote:
We lost power for one day here in Irma. Others here lost power for 3 days.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,418 Times in 2,074 Posts

///not worth it///

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 09-25-2022 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-25-2022, 09:39 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
HOPEFULLY this will be the case. Have been through 3-4 direct hurricane hits. TV is probably the least prepared area that I have seen in Florida and has the least wind protected homes. On bright side most of the electricity is undeground. 80 MPH hurricane can damage main lines that serve our area. Seen lesser hurricanes blow these down. Just saw latest report that storm could linger around here. Hope not.
Old 09-25-2022, 09:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP2TV View Post
We lost power for one day here in Irma. Others here lost power for 3 days.
Irma will probably end up being a less strong hurricane and flew through this area. This strorm has the possiblility of being much stonger and may stall in and around the Tampa area.
Old 09-25-2022, 10:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,542 Times in 3,117 Posts

I'm in the Historic section. If "the big one comes" we'll lose our house, possibly our lives, and there won't be a thing we can do about it. If it's not the big one, but a bad one, we'll absolutely suffer damage to the house, and no amount of preparing will prevent that.

If it's not a bad one, then our windows are hurricane cat-3/4/5 (whatever the legal requirement is for replacements - double-paned, double-hung, in any case) rated - including the ones on the lanai. We have a metal roof, and it's been re-sealed just a month ago, so we'll probably still have our roof. We'll also probably still have a leak in the laundry shed. No trees in our yard so not -too- much worry about branches through the shed window.

We have batteries, new lanterns, plenty of water including water for the toilet if needed, cat food, litter, tons of towels, plenty of toilet paper and paper towels, cans of food, and our blankets are on a center shelf in the linen closet (meaning - no roof material or flooding can damage them). Manual can openers, a lighter, candles, my car has a full tank of gas, and it has a newish battery so I can use it to charge my phone and tablet, both of which have a dozen books loaded on them, and the tablet has a couple of movies on it.

I also have two fans that I can power with a USB cord into my laptop. I'm as ready as I can be - and this is all stuff we always have anyway.
Old 09-26-2022, 04:54 AM

Don’t forget to charge that Electric car!!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill
Old 09-26-2022, 04:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,331 Times in 602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
TV is probably the least prepared area that I have seen in Florida and has the least wind protected homes.
By least prepared area, do you mean the people or the emergency services or something else?

What is a wind protected home?? I thought that they increased the building codes to make houses stronger and most of the houses here have been built since that time.
Closed Thread

Tags
hurricane, sandbags, windows, prep, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.