Hurricane Tie Downs

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Default Hurricane Tie Downs

My husband is in the process of selling his manufactured home on the historic side. Yesterday he received a contract in which the prospective buyer asked for a credit for "hurricane tiedowns". We were totally unaware of this. What is it? What is the law about them? Who would we call to do it? What is the approximate cost? He only bought the house last November and this is the first we've heard about it. Any information would be much appreciated!
Old 07-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Default Hurricane Tie-Downs

Florida law states that ALL manufactured homes have to have tie-downs. It depends on how old your manufactured home is or when it was put in. I'm surprised that when he bought it that the inspection did not pick that up. Did he not have an inspection? Hurricane tie downs are for up to 120 mph winds. If the manufactured home is on a slab, you don't have to have them. Hope this helps.

I'm the type of woman that when I get up in the morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up"!
Old 07-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Gold member

The tie downs are a way to stabilize a mobile or manufactured home in high winds - like hurricane force winds. Insurance companies and mortgage lenders may be looking for proof of tie downs.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Veteran member

Supposedly homes b4 1986 have tie downs that are different from current standards. We are in the process as we speak of purchasing by mail a 1983 MH. Villages Ins. would insure us but not for total replacement, which was ok by us. Our inspector gave us the name of 2 places he said would do the job for around $2000-2500. We decided to just go with the lesser ins.

Section 320.8325 of the Fl. Statues
and 15C-1.0104 from The Florida Dept. of Hwy Safety

As you can tell.....I really don't know for sure what I am talking about

Maybe call Village Ins. and ask them to clarify it for you.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Veteran member
Default Call AARP

Not sure if they are still writing Foremost on the manufactured homes, but worth the phone call to find out.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.