Hybrid Water Heater

Old 05-18-2024, 07:41 AM

The basic problem with trying to install a more efficient hot water heater is that you don't pay much for heating hot water here in the Villages each year so any "newer" technology system will not pay for itself in a reasonable amount of time. Also, as most have said, the cheapest way to replace your hot water heater is to put the same unit in so any plumbing changes will be minimal. For 2 people don't go and increase capacity from 40 to 50 gallons since you won't need it and all you will be doing is heating more hot water. Just get the best 12 year Rheem or your favorite brand heater that has the highest efficiency like the Rheem Model# XE40M12CS55U1, Gladiator 40 Gal. Medium 12 Year 5500/5500-Watt Smart Electric Water Heater with Leak Detection and Auto Shutoff. So why this particular unit? Because it's a 40 gallon heater with higher wattage coils so the recovery time is like a 50 gallon heater. Also, this unit has leak detection which turns off the water in case you get a leak. This is the most important feature because most people don't pay attention to their water heater and never know if there is a leak. If this tank or your plumbing leaks, it turns off the water and sends you a push notfication to your phone so you can address it. Everything on this tank is controllable via an app on your phone including stats on your water usage and energy. If you are handy, you can remove the anode rod and replace it with a powered anode rod such as the Corro-Protec that can be purchased on Amazon, and your tank will last many years with very little maintenance. If you have a whole house water filter like the one from Nova filters or a water softener, even better. One last thing. Continuous hot water heaters like what the Villages installs in areas with Gas is basically a cost savings for the developer. Unless you have unusual needs, there is no way a two person family here in the Villages is going to need continuous hot water. You still have to clean those units yearly just like you need to drain some water from your tank heater yearly. There is no significant benefit for us with those water heaters.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:50 AM

It all depends on what you want. Heat pump water heater gives you free cooling in the garage, roughly 2/3rds cheaper to run, up to $2,000.00 tax credit.
No additional installation cost over replacing standard. I see units at box stores for 14 to 19 hundred.
This is a personal choice that requires you to make a decision and live with it for the next ten years.
Old 05-18-2024, 08:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

What’s a Hybrid water heater, sorry never heard of a Hybrid water heater. Must be heated by solar panels!
Old 05-18-2024, 08:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Oh, it’s all about money, price I see now!
Old 05-19-2024, 05:40 AM

I have a Hybrid in my Wisconsin home for over a year and its fantastic, it's a Rheem Prestige series. It can operate in various modes using the conventional heater elements or heat pump only or a combination of both. I run it in heat pump only and never run out of hot water plus it consumes much less electricity than a conventional water heater. There is the added benefit that the heat pump exhausts cool dry air, so it has a small effect of air conditioning and dehumidifier. The downside is they are expensive but there was a nice federal government incentive that paid for 30% of the water heater & installation cost.
Old 05-19-2024, 06:13 AM
Gold member

Kind of makes sense!!!
Old 05-19-2024, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvin View Post
I have a Hybrid in my Wisconsin home for over a year and its fantastic, it's a Rheem Prestige series. It can operate in various modes using the conventional heater elements or heat pump only or a combination of both. I run it in heat pump only and never run out of hot water plus it consumes much less electricity than a conventional water heater. There is the added benefit that the heat pump exhausts cool dry air, so it has a small effect of air conditioning and dehumidifier. The downside is they are expensive but there was a nice federal government incentive that paid for 30% of the water heater & installation cost.
The only problem installing one here in the Villages is it has to be installed in the garage where the air is not 100% clean. The hybrid heater has a heat exchanger similar to our evaporator coil in our HVAC heat pumps. Although there is a cleanable filter, dust and dirt does get through and clogs up the coil assembly. This assembly can be cleaned but it's a lot of maintenance. Just FYI. Look at some youttube videos on the topic before buying something like this.
Old 05-19-2024, 07:29 AM
Default Hybrid Water Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkdormantv View Post
Recommendations for a hybrid water heater. Thanks.
I had a Rheem Hybrid water heater at my last house and was very happy with it. I never had a problem with it and it had a mode for super-fast recovery if you had guests over.

I prefer the tankless over all others though.
Old 05-19-2024, 08:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I like the Tankless but the only thing I don’t like about it the builder put it outside & it has froze up & bursted & had to replace. I just feel we have to be a babysitter in winter, oh by the way we live in Texas. Like the Tankless but will never buy another Tankless that they stuck outside!
Old 05-19-2024, 08:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Sounds like another govt. recommend ation. Not for me!
Old 05-19-2024, 09:13 AM

Ok last summer we bought a new to us home. The water heater was original and needed replacing after 22 years.
I replaced it with a REEM heat pump unit in the same spot in the garage. Took a bit longer than normal unit to install (I have install a dozen over the years). It is a DIY. I opted to use PEX to connect to the house CPVC. Also added the now required expansion tank.
When running it not only cools the garage a bit but it also dehumidifies! It does feel more comfortable but by no means AC level comfortable.
I did the math $1600 unit plus $130 in piping. Vs 900 for a higher end regular electric water heater (no gas available) also there was a 1/3 tax credit last year on the price of the unit. So price difference was 2-3 hundred.
As to the cost to run - the REEM keeps track of how many kwts it uses. Efficiency of using heat pump is 2 to 3 times more efficient. So at half the cost, saving about $6 a month. So $72 a year. Payback about 4 years. (I am using the heat pump only heating option unless we have overnight guests then I use quick recovery which uses both heat pump and traditional resistance rods)
BUT the biggest benefit is a “free” dehumidifier. I have not measured the exact drop vs outside (will depend how many times you open the garage door) but can say it is definitely less.
One last point- there is a condensation drain you will have to find a place for. I had a slop sink in the same area I am using. I love to see all the water that comes out!

No I do not work for REEM or any plumber. And I do NOT hire out (you can’t afford me anyway
uTube videos available to see how they work and how to install.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:19 AM

I just looked into them before I replaced our 20+ year old water heater that was still working fine IMO they aren't practical. They are needlessly complicated, can be too noisy, and I doubt they would last as long as the traditional water heater.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie66 View Post
Why not look at installing a tankless water heater?
Unfortunately, if only electric power service (no natural gas) is available to the house, then replacing a “tanked” hot water heater with a tankless hot water heater is a very bad idea. In addition to the resulting huge increase in one’s electric bill, the typical two 30 amp circuits servicing a standard 40-gallon electric water heater would have to be replaced by usually three 40 amp circuits to accommodate the tankless water heater, adding to the installation costs. $ ROI would take many, many years, perhaps never, but you would enjoy long showers and a comparatively endless steady supply of hot water.

Tags
hybrid, water, heater, recommendations

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.