I did it! -- Pickleball 101

Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2015, 12:46 PM
Sage
Default I did it! -- Pickleball 101

I just got back from Pickleball 101. The instructor suggested to me that I repeat the lesson. Now I know how my son felt when he had to repeat Learning to Learn a pre-kindergarten program in our home town. In both situations the instructor said we were smart enough. We were just not mature enough and it wouldn't hurt for us to repeat the course.

I do enjoy the game and played it with a neighbor 30 years ago. He had 4 kids and I have 3 all around the same age. He was an Air Force guy re stationed at McGuire which is next to Fort Dix and introduced the game to the neighborhood. Everyone played in his driveway, had bar-b-ques and drank copious amounts of beer.

ah,,,good times
Old 10-02-2015, 04:47 PM
Veteran member

Not mature enough? Wow!
Old 10-02-2015, 05:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Maturity is overrated.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I just got back from Pickleball 101. The instructor suggested to me that I repeat the lesson. Now I know how my son felt when he had to repeat Learning to Learn a pre-kindergarten program in our home town. In both situations the instructor said we were smart enough. We were just not mature enough and it wouldn't hurt for us to repeat the course.

I do enjoy the game and played it with a neighbor 30 years ago. He had 4 kids and I have 3 all around the same age. He was an Air Force guy re stationed at McGuire which is next to Fort Dix and introduced the game to the neighborhood. Everyone played in his driveway, had bar-b-ques and drank copious amounts of beer.

ah,,,good times
Here's my problem. I know the game will be fun. I've played paddle and racket games for a very long time.
All these years I wasn't athletic enough to damage my knees, ankles or shoulders.

Do I want to take a chance now?
Old 10-02-2015, 06:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Here's my problem. I know the game will be fun. I've played paddle and racket games for a very long time.
All these years I wasn't athletic enough to damage my knees, ankles or shoulders.

Here is my humble advice. Stick to the Bull Dozier.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:

If you've played paddle ball and racket games, you aren't going to do any more damage to your knees, ankles, or shoulders in PB than you could have done in those sports. In fact, less to your shoulder, since it's an underhand serve and you're basically playing with a wiffle ball and there aren't the huge swings against a heavy ball like you get in tennis and racket ball. (Racquet?)

So have at it. Have a good time; it's fun! And they tell pretty much everyone to repeat 101. I played 25 years of tennis, ten of it team tennis with weekly drills, etc., & had the court sense but still repeated 102 & 103 a couple of times.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:40 PM
Sage

Oh, PS: Don't run backwards.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Here is my humble advice. Stick to the Bull Dozier.
A better place for me to begin might be Gerkinball. Unless the sneakers are too tight.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
If you've played paddle ball and racket games, you aren't going to do any more damage to your knees, ankles, or shoulders in PB than you could have done in those sports. In fact, less to your shoulder, since it's an underhand serve and you're basically playing with a wiffle ball and there aren't the huge swings against a heavy ball like you get in tennis and racket ball. (Racquet?)

So have at it. Have a good time; it's fun! And they tell pretty much everyone to repeat 101. I played 25 years of tennis, ten of it team tennis with weekly drills, etc., & had the court sense but still repeated 102 & 103 a couple of times.
thank-you
I did enjoy myself. And I hit one that someone tried to backhand and fell down. Of course, me being Catholic me, instantly blamed myself and thought I should not have gone for the point by forcing someone to change directions before they are ready.
I think I'm just going to play with some friends for now and see if I can do this knowing my limitations.
About 2 months ago, I hit a 30 ft putt in an exec tourny that was about to fall, jumped up in excitement and pulled a calf muscle. To need to stretch before putting is pretty sad. Be that as it may, I am learning to be a Villager.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:07 PM
Sage

I've fallen off my (flat) sandals. You just never know!
Old 10-02-2015, 08:49 PM
Sage

Sounds like fun, where is the best place to buy some basic pickleball rackets and balls?
Old 10-02-2015, 09:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
Sounds like fun, where is the best place to buy some basic pickleball rackets and balls?
no need
they lend you wooden paddles that weigh less than a toddler
and everyone uses the same wiffle balls---they are yellow in case of fog
Old 10-03-2015, 06:47 AM
Sage

Will try. How, where, when do you sign up for pickleball 101. Thanks
Old 10-03-2015, 07:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
Will try. How, where, when do you sign up for pickleball 101. Thanks
Allegiance, stop by any of the rec centers and ask for a pickleball sign-up sheet. It will have the dates, times, and locations. As the season gets busier, they add more dates, esp. for pickle ball 101-103.

Pick your time and place, and call that rec center exactly one week in advance to sign up. Don't tarry--call as soon as the center opens, exactly one week in advance. They fill up fast in the busy season.

Have fun!

Tags
repeat, played, game, instructor, years, force, air, ago, guy, kids, age, mcguire, drank, bar-b-ques, driveway, copious, amounts, times, ah, good, beer, neighborhood, stationed, introduced, dix, fort

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.