I didn't realize an 18 year old could reside in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2020, 12:36 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
• There is a misconception in The Villages that we have to allow under-age persons to live here. That is WRONG. We do NOT have to allow ANY under-age persons to live here. Federal regulations require at least 80% residents must be occupied by one person 55 years of age or older. The regulations mean we cannot have OVER 20% under-age living here and still be considered a 55+ community. We can have ZERO under-age persons here. Many retirement communities around here do not allow ANYONE under 55 to live in their retirement communities. Our developer set the policy to allow underage persons and felons to live among us.
You might have included; the original post that I replied to for context. Since you missed it, here it is:

Originally Posted by John41

the developer sold them the house knowing that 20 percent can be under 55 just to make a quick buck. greed
Old 07-03-2020, 01:25 PM

my understanding is 20% of purchasers. When we bought, I inquired that, if both my husband and I died before our girls turned 55yrs, could they inherit the house, or would it have to be sold. I was told that they could inherit it, but couldn't live in it, as long as any of their children were under 19yrs old. They could down for under 30days, twice a year, in order to handle any maintenance issues' Perhaps this kid doesn't have a Villages ID (or, as stated before, someone lied) so flying under the radar.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccudney3 View Post
Perfect. If I had know my kids couldn’t visit I wouldn’t have bought in the Villages. I have a son in Scottsdale 23 and. Son and his wife 29 and 25 in Philadelphia. It seemed like a perfect family place to meet up and play golf and vacation for a week or so together.
So, did you know they could or could not come visit? Seemed like a perfect place....so do they come or do they not?

This post needs some clarification..
Old 07-03-2020, 05:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,318 Times in 872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post
That doesn’t seem to be the case with the grandfather who has a 9-year old living with him. They were frequently in the news and everyone knows about it. Nothing was done.
So who made the call? Do you know? Probably nobody made the call so the neighborhood was ok with it. This isn't that difficult to understand process, the difficulty is someone picking up the phone.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-03-2020, 05:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgodin View Post
We have a 10 yr old in our neighborhood living with his grandfather. Nobody objected to the child but his mom was a piece of work. So there were complaints. As an "inside" complaint it was the developer's responsibility to handle. The developer sent a letter. No further action was taken.
There is a process.....how long ago was the letter? If not satisfied pick up the phone. Can't be much of an issue if nobody follows up.

Old 07-03-2020, 05:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
The Developer is responsible for young permanent residents ,but refuses to enforce the covenant disallowing it.
And you know that how?

Old 07-03-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
That is my take on it. She knowingly has been breaking the law, deed restriction or covenants, whatever applies.

"While The Villages is a 55+ active adult community we welcome children and grandchildren. In fact we offer (year round) intergenerational activities called “Camp Villages”, allowing grandparents and grandchildren to experience together all the lifestyle The Villages has to offer. There is a 30 consecutive day limit for visitors under the age of 18."

from. FAQ | The Villages

Housing for Older Persons Act - Wikipedia
There is no way that the 30 day limit can be enforced. How does anyone know it the kid left and came back, starting again? There’s no proof to outsiders what’s going on inside, other than the incident mentioned here. There was a similar situation where I used to live. They were unable to do anything about it unless there was proof that the 17 year old was living there permanently. The kid even did damage to the community and they still couldn’t just kick him out. People complained all the time. Eventually the son started living with a girl and got her pregnant. He broke up with her, but after the baby was born it looked like the infant was living there with the boys mother. There was no proof of that either. Even with neighbors’ complaints, all they could do was ask her. She said she was babysitting, but the baby was only occasionally taken somewhere by it’s mother, then always returned to the house, not to be seen again until the next morning.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,091 Times in 2,750 Posts

Internal (inside the home) deed restrictions are rarely enforced. Just look at the number of AIRBNB's being operated in the Villages where someone living in the home rents out a room while they are living in the home. This violates two deed restrictions, the residence is not being used as a single family residence and there is a business being operated out of the home. If this can not be enforced while the violation is in plain sight (just look up the AIRBNB listings), don't expect a 30 day limit on people under 19 years old to be enforced.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:06 PM

It will take 32 years to have this rule enforced
Then he will be old enough to stay
Old 07-03-2020, 10:08 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwick2112@yahoo.com View Post
Let's face it, The Villages is not what it used to be. Greed and money have taken over the developers mindset.
The Developer has NOTHING to do with any household or rules north of Hwy 44. Well... unless those people are living on a championship golf course. Or living at The Daily Sun.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
18 years old Kelvin William Moore resides in Fenney with his 54 year old mother whom he criminally battered. He was arrested according to the unmentionable on-line news.

With all the hubbub over a little white cross in one's yard or a great looking $4,000 artificial turf front lawn one would think that whatever authority is responsible should be policing the 19 and over age restriction.
The way this works in The Villages you would have to be the one to police it.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
And you wonder why the positive cases are going up.
just to ease your mind, none of us are sick, were sick, etc. ..we don't have the virus, or know anyone who does. oxo
Old 07-04-2020, 06:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,946 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Maybe the rule breaker (mom) lied about having an under 19. How is that "all about the money"?

Maybe they didn’t bother to ask questions other than if she’s got the means to pay?
Old 07-04-2020, 06:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
The Developer has NOTHING to do with any household or rules north of Hwy 44. Well... unless those people are living on a championship golf course. Or living at The Daily Sun.
Daa, this in the NEW section selling NEW houses, it’s not in calumet grove where new house were sold 20 years ago.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
And you know that how?
They set up the rules and claim restricted retirement community.
Closed Thread

Tags
year, cross, front, yard, great

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.