Are Postal Centers “Government Property”?

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2021, 05:43 PM
Platinum member
Default Are Postal Centers “Government Property”?

Our new President sign an executive order mandating mask be worn on government property? Are the postal centers considered “government property”?

Keep your answers non-political! :-)
Old 01-21-2021, 06:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,747 Times in 5,255 Posts

I think that Post Office buildings and the surrounding area (parking lot, etc.) that are on property that is owned or leased by the Federal Government are considered Government property. But, I don't think the postal centers located in The Villages are leased by the Federal Government, especially the land around the postal center. However, the locked interior space inside the postal center is probably considered Government property because it is controlled by the Federal Government. My opinion.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:27 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Our new President sign an executive order mandating mask be worn on government property? Are the postal centers considered “government property”?

No the postal stations, even the new post office, are leased.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:28 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,530 Times in 715 Posts

The property is actually considered an amenity, so it is either property of the VCCDD (north of 466), SLCDD (between 466 and 44), or privately owned by the developer (south of 44). As Retiredguy123 stated, the interior of the postal facility is government-controlled property under the jurisdiction of the Postal Service.

So the root question as I read it is do you have to wear a face mask to check your mail. No. Do the contract postal workers have to wear a mask inside? Maybe, it depends on how this edict from up high is written. If there's only one person inside it would be stupid. If there is more than one worker inside then I would lay odds they'll go back to the Bill Clinton days and close the doors and adopt the policy of "don't ask, don't tell".
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 01-21-2021, 06:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
No the postal stations, even the new post office, are leased.
Typically, any property that is maintained, operated, and controlled by the Federal Government is considered Government property, even if it is leased. Many of the Federal office buildings in Washington D.C. and other cities are leased property.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:30 PM
John41

As Retiredguy123 stated, the interior of the postal facility is government-controlled property under the jurisdiction of the Postal Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Typically, any property that is maintained, operated, and controlled by the Federal Government is considered Government property, even if it is leased. Many of the Federal office buildings in Washington D.C. and other cities are leased property.

I think any lessee has the same rights not just the government or who would be foolish enough to lease to the government if that gave the government a proprietary right that could infringe on the ownership of the lessor? For example, I lease a building for my barbershop and call it "my barbershop" and I maintain , operate and control it, but that does not convey true property ownership even though I might refer to it as my property. Bottom line I can probably require a mask as if I owner the property.
----------------------
The simple rule that all government property is exempt from property taxes is complicated by the Machinery Act’s treatment of leasehold interests in exempt government property. A leasehold interest is the tenant’s right to use the leased property for the term described in the lease.

Last edited by John41; 01-21-2021 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:10 PM

RetiredGuy123 wrote "However, the locked interior space inside the postal center is probably considered Government property because it is controlled by the Federal Government. My opinion."

John41 wrote "No the postal stations, even the new post office, are leased."

So, I'm curious. . .

Does the government pay rent and utilities for the space?
What entity of The Villages collects the rent?
Who pays for utilities, electricity, water, and air conditioning?
To what Villages budget is the rent applied?
Old 01-21-2021, 10:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqrstar View Post
RetiredGuy123 wrote "However, the locked interior space inside the postal center is probably considered Government property because it is controlled by the Federal Government. My opinion."

John41 wrote "No the postal stations, even the new post office, are leased."

So, I'm curious. . .

Does the government pay rent and utilities for the space?
What entity of The Villages collects the rent?
Who pays for utilities, electricity, water, and air conditioning?
To what Villages budget is the rent applied?
I doubt that the Federal Government pays rent for the postal stations within The Villages where residents pick up their mail. But, the locked space inside the stations is controlled by the Post Office because it is part of the mailboxes and it is considered Federal property. Even people who have their own private mailbox on their own property cannot use the mailbox to receive anything other than official mail that has postage on it. For example, you cannot have your newspaper or brochures delivered to the box without postage. I think that all mailboxes where you receive your mail is considered Federal property.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,539 Times in 3,115 Posts

The postal stations are not government property. The post BOXES are government property. So as long as you don't put your head directly in the boxes, you should be fine.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The postal stations are not government property. The post BOXES are government property. So as long as you don't put your head directly in the boxes, you should be fine.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,915 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
The property is actually considered an amenity, so it is either property of the VCCDD (north of 466), SLCDD (between 466 and 44), or privately owned by the developer (south of 44). As Retiredguy123 stated, the interior of the postal facility is government-controlled property under the jurisdiction of the Postal Service.

So the root question as I read it is do you have to wear a face mask to check your mail. No. Do the contract postal workers have to wear a mask inside? Maybe, it depends on how this edict from up high is written. If there's only one person inside it would be stupid. If there is more than one worker inside then I would lay odds they'll go back to the Bill Clinton days and close the doors and adopt the policy of "don't ask, don't tell".
So therefore it may very well be true
Old 01-22-2021, 05:54 AM

Quote:

No they are an amenity on villages property, no you don’t need a mask
Old 01-22-2021, 06:24 AM

Quote:

I don’t understand the point of this post. We do not need someone to dictate what to do when we all know what is the right thing. When you get out of your car golf cart to get your mail, wear a mask. It’s that simple.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:26 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

I am not wearing a mask to get my freaking mail.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:27 AM

Quote:

Yes ~
Closed Thread

Tags
centers, “government, property”, postal, mask

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.