I hate to be ripped off.....(roofing shingles)

Closed Thread
Old 09-12-2017, 09:37 PM
Veteran member
Default I hate to be ripped off.....(roofing shingles)

First let me say I am not an novice when discussing roofing shingles. I retired from a company that at one time was one of the largest shingle manufactures in the world. In my younger management days I was in charge of roofing complaints and did over 700 per year. Frist, roofing shingles are not as wind resistant and pliable as they once were since they are not made from "rag felt" but have a fiberglass mat base. It is even more important now that the installation be correct or the shingle will not seal correctly. If the roofer places a nail from a pneumatic gun too close or in the seal strip then the shingle will not seal correctly. I currently own two homes in TV and the one I live in is less than two years old. We lost over thirty shingles in under 110 mph winds on this home (not a single one on the other) and this should not have happened. I live in North Labelle and drove the entire neighborhood yesterday and my home and one other were the only that lost shingles. I am going to post a photo of two of the thirty plus shingles I retrieved from my lawn yesterday morning. Neither of my neighbors or anyone on our street lost any shingles. I called the insurance company yesterday morning and they returned my call today say to that they will send out someone to cover parts of my roof with a tarp before repair. They also reminded me that the insurance is $500 deductible. I would estimate my repairs will be some where around $750 to $1000 and I will be out the $500. I finally got through to the warranty dept in TV today and they quickly stated this is an insurance issue and not a warranty issue. I do not believe anyone who lost shingles with nail holes in the seal stripe should have to pay anything. If you are in my position and want to join me in a demand letter to the builders and TV then send me a private message. I think we have a potential class action against the roofer and the builder for faulty installation. I will try to post the photos of two of my thirty shingles.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0982.JPG
Views:	879
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	71384  
Old 09-12-2017, 09:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
First let me say I am not an novice when discussing roofing shingles. I retired from a company that at one time was one of the largest shingle manufactures in the world. In my younger management days I was in charge of roofing complaints and did over 700 per year. Frist, roofing shingles are not as wind resistant and pliable as they once were since they are not made from "rag felt" but have a fiberglass mat base. It is even more important now that the installation be correct or the shingle will not seal correctly. If the roofer places a nail from a pneumatic gun too close or in the seal strip then the shingle will not seal correctly. I currently own two homes in TV and the one I live in is less than two years old. We lost over thirty shingles in under 110 mph winds on this home (not a single one on the other) and this should not have happened. I live in North Labelle and drove the entire neighborhood yesterday and my home and one other were the only that lost shingles. I am going to post a photo of two of the thirty plus shingles I retrieved from my lawn yesterday morning. Neither of my neighbors or anyone on our street lost any shingles. I called the insurance company yesterday morning and they returned my call today say to that they will send out someone to cover parts of my roof with a tarp before repair. They also reminded me that the insurance is $500 deductible. I would estimate my repairs will be some where around $750 to $1000 and I will be out the $500. I finally got through to the warranty dept in TV today and they quickly stated this is an insurance issue and not a warranty issue. I do not believe anyone who lost shingles with nail holes in the seal stripe should have to pay anything. If you are in my position and want to join me in a demand letter to the builders and TV then send me a private message. I think we have a potential class action against the roofer and the builder for faulty installation. I will try to post the photos of two of my thirty shingles.

AND, contact the Villages POA. They may be helpful to you and the others. Good luck and I hope you gain the proper restitution you deserve from the builder. We here in The Villages are not stupid people. We come from different occupations with one thing in common. We were all successful in our working endeavors. TV management will try their hardest to stonewall this situation. Don't give up !!
Old 09-12-2017, 10:00 PM
Veteran member

I had this happen with 12 tiles about 2 years ago. Certainteed shingles. After I submitted a non-sealing claim they said there was nothing wrong. Then the villages warranty got involved and they paid to have the whole roof hand sealed. Thank God, because of this I lost ZERO shingles during the storm.
My neighbor lost about 1/3 of his. My guess is same problem I had, but now it will be an insurance issue.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 09-12-2017, 10:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
I had this happen with 12 tiles about 2 years ago. Certainteed shingles. After I submitted a non-sealing claim they said there was nothing wrong. Then the villages warranty got involved and they paid to have the whole roof hand sealed. Thank God, because of this I lost ZERO shingles during the storm.
My neighbor lost about 1/3 of his. My guess is same problem I had, but now it will be an insurance issue.

How do they hand seal an entire roof ? And why would your neighbor need to submit an insurance claim.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:59 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
Packer Fan: I posted my horror story about Certainteed on another thread. I lived outside of Minneapolis. Certainteed had a major problem with defective shingles and eventually it ended up in a class action lawsuit. They jerked me around for two years, lied to me etc. so I sued them pro se. They settled with me in 2000 (year).

Don't hate me because I am a viking fan.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:20 AM
Veteran member

The shingles on my home in LaBelle are CertainTeed. I plan to go online and also file a complaint with them. Legal action against roofing companies is the norm. Believe me I know. The only reason they warranty a shingle is because the competition does. The major companies....Owens Corning, CertainTeed, GAF, Elk and others have all had problems from one time or another. There is very little profit in shingles to start with and they do not like paying for complaints. Of the complaints I had to deal with I would estimate that 70% or more were the fault of the installer.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:30 AM
Veteran member

I am quite sure that having his second home for rental purposes and as an investment you should be able to write off the loss of shingles. That is if you are doing the proper thing of claiming the house as a income property and paying the proper taxes. If not you could always take the money to repair the home out of the money you saved in taxes by not reporting the income.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
I am quite sure that having his second home for rental purposes and as an investment you should be able to write off the loss of shingles. That is if you are doing the proper thing of claiming the house as a income property and paying the proper taxes. If not you could always take the money to repair the home out of the money you saved in taxes by not reporting the income.

Personally I think it's our patriotic duty to pay as little taxes as we have to.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:49 AM
Veteran member

To seal every shingle you would have to pull on every edge to see if it is sealed. If not the shingle will come up and you will be able to see the seal stripe under that. You would have to place a spot or stripe of roofing cement under everyone that is not sealed.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:52 AM
Veteran member

As far as I know there was no damage to the rental home. It is now about eight years old.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:07 AM

You are starting a class action suit for $500
Old 09-13-2017, 10:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Warranty Question

Does anyone know that once a defective roof was replaced how long is the warranty on the replaced roof?
Old 09-13-2017, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigben007 View Post
You are starting a class action suit for $500
Can't play golf!
Old 09-13-2017, 11:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I agree it's not worth excersizing oneself over $500.00 but for those that don't have that insurance deductable and have significant loss it might be. I suspect that will be an uphill battle.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-13-2017, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

You are borrowing trouble way too soon. Why think it won't turn out well. It usually does here in The Villages. They would not risk bad talk for shingles. They aren't stupid and they are probably nice folks.

Tags
shingles, roofing, seal, lost, shingle

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.