I hate to be ripped off.....(roofing shingles)

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2017, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Personally I think it's our patriotic duty to pay as little taxes as we have to.
Where did I hear that?

Last edited by Bogie Shooter; 09-13-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Where did hear that?

I don't remember.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I said wait and see. It has been three days since the storm stopped blowing. I see no reason why help will not come to those with shingles missing ASAP. The Possible is the important part.
And the current "wait" to even get an estimate is three weeks.
Okay???
Old 09-13-2017, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
And the current "wait" to even get an estimate is three weeks.
Okay???
I wonder why that is.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigben007 View Post
You are starting a class action suit for $500
You must not know what a class action suit is. If I have enough homeowners involved and can prove bad application I do not think it will ever get to that point. Wait till you see the next photo's I am posting.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Can't play golf!
I play three days each week.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:35 PM
Gold member
Default People do not get their rights because of the effort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigben007 View Post
You are starting a class action suit for $500
I expect $500 is a very OPTIMISTIC guess.

In any case, in a class action case the attorney works on a contingency basis. They are not heroes. They will only take the case if it is a lot of money or an easy win. RE: roof, it is neither. On top of the third the attorney will take all expenses assuming the case is won. It is normal for the clients to get half of what is received and it will take years.

Small claims court might be a better place to handle this.

The OP said the house is two years old. I seem to recall any new home has a REQUIRED WARRANTY. That might be the first place to look. As to lack of response: I of course do not know who is involved but realize all of these people are overwhelmed. I would document everything and send it in a certified letter. While we often use priority mail and it is less expensive, a certified letter, even if the receiving person refused to sign for it or the post office allows some clerk to rubber stamp it,or they simply refuse to accept it-IT IS STILL LEGALLY DELIVERED. I'm not sure the same is true of priority mail-AND IT CERTAINLY IS NOT TRUE FOR A PHONE CALL.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:36 PM
Veteran member

My neighbor and I lost a few shingles, soooo after calling roofer after roofer, we were very lucky to have an honest one show up and do the job without overcharging us. Evans Roofing, owned by George Evans came today and did the job. He even had the correct shingles with him. Good to know there are still nice people. I hope you are as lucky as we were.

evans roofing, 352-288-3127
Old 09-13-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
First let me say I am not an novice when discussing roofing shingles. I retired from a company that at one time was one of the largest shingle manufactures in the world. In my younger management days I was in charge of roofing complaints and did over 700 per year. Frist, roofing shingles are not as wind resistant and pliable as they once were since they are not made from "rag felt" but have a fiberglass mat base. It is even more important now that the installation be correct or the shingle will not seal correctly. If the roofer places a nail from a pneumatic gun too close or in the seal strip then the shingle will not seal correctly. I currently own two homes in TV and the one I live in is less than two years old. We lost over thirty shingles in under 110 mph winds on this home (not a single one on the other) and this should not have happened. I live in North Labelle and drove the entire neighborhood yesterday and my home and one other were the only that lost shingles. I am going to post a photo of two of the thirty plus shingles I retrieved from my lawn yesterday morning. Neither of my neighbors or anyone on our street lost any shingles. I called the insurance company yesterday morning and they returned my call today say to that they will send out someone to cover parts of my roof with a tarp before repair. They also reminded me that the insurance is $500 deductible. I would estimate my repairs will be some where around $750 to $1000 and I will be out the $500. I finally got through to the warranty dept in TV today and they quickly stated this is an insurance issue and not a warranty issue. I do not believe anyone who lost shingles with nail holes in the seal stripe should have to pay anything. If you are in my position and want to join me in a demand letter to the builders and TV then send me a private message. I think we have a potential class action against the roofer and the builder for faulty installation. I will try to post the photos of two of my thirty shingles.
I live in Cedar Grove in Pinellas. In our little area of 52 homes, 11 homes had major roof damage. The roofer did state the pneumatic gun pressure was too high and through the plastics. I am sure every one of us would be glad to join in this. We also have another home that has entire house damage on all sides. Our 11 homes had to be tarred or tarped so, not light damage. 11 homes out of 52 is a very high percentage!
Old 09-13-2017, 11:10 PM
Veteran member
Cool Duh . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I wonder why that is.
Uhhh . . . It couldn't possibly be because roofers are suddenly so busy, could it?
Old 09-14-2017, 12:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
Uhhh . . . It couldn't possibly be because roofers are suddenly so busy, could it?
That is what I meant. Surely you can see why the amount of roofers all over the whole State of Florida can't keep up to the enormous demand. Some people are going to have to wait. There was a HURRICANE that impacted the entire State. It isn't at all surprising that a three week wait is common.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-14-2017 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:59 PM

I don't think its the shingle manufacturer. For instance CertainTeed shingles are warranted for 130 mph winds as long as they were installed properly. We didn't even have 100 mph wind. That means four nails. One 1" and 13" from the left side and a nail 1" and 13" from the right side. I noticed my lost shingles and 3 nails within a 6" area on one side and one other nail all the way over on the other side. Plus, and most importantly, nails should be just flush with the shingles. These contractors are in such a hurry, and the compressor air is set so high, that the nail heads go halfway through the shingle. Its an installation problem. NOT a shingle problem.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzurinko View Post
I don't think its the shingle manufacturer. For instance CertainTeed shingles are warranted for 130 mph winds as long as they were installed properly. We didn't even have 100 mph wind. That means four nails. One 1" and 13" from the left side and a nail 1" and 13" from the right side. I noticed my lost shingles and 3 nails within a 6" area on one side and one other nail all the way over on the other side. Plus, and most importantly, nails should be just flush with the shingles. These contractors are in such a hurry, and the compressor air is set so high, that the nail heads go halfway through the shingle. Its an installation problem. NOT a shingle problem.
If your shingles are only four nailed your roof is very old as we been six nailing since Andrew
Old 09-17-2017, 02:51 PM
Gold member
Default You've allowed yourself to be hoodwinked

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
The shingles on my home in LaBelle are CertainTeed. I plan to go online and also file a complaint with them. Legal action against roofing companies is the norm. Believe me I know. The only reason they warranty a shingle is because the competition does. The major companies....Owens Corning, CertainTeed, GAF, Elk and others have all had problems from one time or another. There is very little profit in shingles to start with and they do not like paying for complaints. Of the complaints I had to deal with I would estimate that 70% or more were the fault of the installer.
Very little profit? If, it was not profitable they would not be doing it. Do not like paying for complaints-no company likes paying for complaints. I expect your report that often the fault is the installer.

You are the damaged party. You need to go after both the manufacturer of the material and the installer. Let the TWO experts decide how much of the total cost to correct YOUR PROBLEM they are going to PAY. You are the injured party and should not care about profit margins.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:53 PM

My roofer put a tarp on the roof, and walked off with the shingles that I had in the garage....same problem, were not nailed properly..he said all of the roof has "defective"shingles and I should get a new one....I had my own inspector come by and they advised me the shingles are not adhering...warranty almost hung up in my face and I can't get hold of the roofer. My roofer was SPS.
Closed Thread

Tags
shingles, roofing, seal, lost, shingle

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.