I Have Arrived.

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Default Re: I Have Arrived.

Well, I've been here officially 2 days now. I sure hopes it gets better. I called Comcast 2 weeks ago from MI. and set up an appointment for yesterday. They didn't show up on time. After the installer left we found out we didn't have HBO or Digital service. After waiting in line for over 30 minutes at the Comcast office, I was told that the installer hasn't turned in the paperwork, so I won't have the service until next Tuesday or Wednesday.

This morning I awoke and turned on the hot water for a shower. No hot water. Bad thermocouple on the pilot light. I got that fixed. Boy, I should have been a plumber.

I think I will keep this thread open just to bore everyone about my troubles.

Until the next installment, stay tuned.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Gold member

Welcome to TV - we moved in on Dec. 18th

Had the same experience as you did with Embarq. They finally came the following day and turned on our phone service. Bill is still not straightened out. They are charging us for services we did not request. Like you, we set up our services about two weeks prior to moving into our new home.

Reminds me of the saying "Best laid plans of mice and men go astray."

We had hot water, but when we used the garbage disposal unit in the sink - we had a problem. The sink drainage system has to be cleaned out - at least that is what we hope will fix the problem.

Other problems may occur but in the scheme of things, these are minor nuisances.

We are here and that is what counts. We are having a lot of fun buying, painting and fixing up our new home - to make it "ours."

Hyacinth Bucket

Old 01-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Keep all these lessons learned coming, waiting to see if my offer accepted and will be there myself. At least part time maybe. And if all you pioneers can take most of the arrows...... ;D
Old 01-04-2008, 11:54 PM
Gold member

l2ridehd

What wonderful news. I hope your offer is accepted.

Hyacinth Bucket
Old 01-05-2008, 12:01 AM

I cannot be still...fellows...did you just buy your home? If so...did you "pay" to have your home inspected from top to bottom so you were protected? Just curious...not a good way to start out in the TV...bottom line...you know the rest. I sure would like to know the name of the company who inspected your homes. Really feel for you...so very sorry.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:12 AM
Gold member

Yes, we had our home inspected. Will post the name of the inspector as soon as I can find it.

If you turn on the garbage disposal unit in the sink and only have half an orange peel in it, it works fine, if you put a lot of stuff in it, then there was a problem.

He may have checked it, but did not put much stuff in it.

HB
Old 01-05-2008, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octcr
I cannot be still...fellows...did you just buy your home? If so...did you "pay" to have your home inspected from top to bottom so you were protected? Just curious...not a good way to start out in the TV...bottom line...you know the rest. I sure would like to know the name of the company who inspected your homes. Really feel for you...so very sorry.
No problem with the home inspector. Had hot water on Thursday, not Friday morning. Bad luck. We will see what happens next.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:01 AM
Platinum member

GM, I've heard of sand clogging the aerators in the sink, partially blocking the shower head and the screens in the washing machine hoses but your defective thermal-couple is a new one. Don't be discouraged, we're here to listen and support you. In the overall scheme of things, TV Warranty is quick to fix things and eager to please. Now Comcast and Embarq are another story.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:19 AM
Veteran member

Sorry to hear about the hot water problems.

I stayed in a resort in Quepos, Costa Rica on an extended fishing trip. Arrived on a Friday. When I went to take a shower, nothing but cold water. Called the management and they said that on Friday's, the hot water was diverted to the resorts south of Quepos in the Manuel Antonio National Park area. I jumped in the 85 degree pool, had a margarita or two with a fishing buddy and waited our turn for the hot water.

I wonder if their plumber works in the Villages now.

Be of good cheer....this to shall pass like ships in the night.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryoung
GM, I've heard of sand clogging the aerators in the sink, partially blocking the shower head and the screens in the washing machine hoses but your defective thermal-couple is a new one. Don't be discouraged, we're here to listen and support you. In the overall scheme of things, TV Warranty is quick to fix things and eager to please. Now Comcast and Embarq are another story.
The thermacoupler is not new. Every gas water heater has one. They don't last forever. Good luck with yours.
p.s. If you have an electronic ignition on your water heater the coupler will last longer.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Platinum member

GM, Thanks. I'm familiar with thermalcouples, just about every gas stove or gas appliance with a standing pilot has one. The pilot goes out, the gas valve shuts down. The sensor in a thermalcouple usually goes bad over time from constant use but I thought you were dealing with a new home?
Old 01-05-2008, 11:51 PM
Gold member

Dealing with companies like Embarq and Comcast can be a real nuisance, and any resale home is bound to have little quirks that either the previous owners just lived with or weren't aware of. Remember that the job of inspectors is to find problems; ours made a point of mentioning a couple of visible sheetrock nails and loose light fixtures on the outside of the garage doors that needed a couple of turns with a pair of pliers. There isn't anything that can't be remedied, and in most instances it'll take relatively simple remedies. Keep your eyes on the big picture, which is why you're here; the little stuff will all get sorted out. Best of luck!!!
Old 01-06-2008, 12:42 AM
Sage

I agree with Hyacinth. We had our newly constructed home inspected by a private inspector before we arrived. I have his number if anyone wants it. He was meticulous and everything was fixed before we arrived. We're going to have it inspected once again, right before our warranty is up. :bigthumbsup:
Old 01-06-2008, 02:15 AM
Veteran member

CONGRATS Gemorc! Please do keep us posted on all your newbie experiences. I hope to follow in your path some time this year. Truly, I can do without all the hiccups, but you get my drift. ;D
Old 01-06-2008, 02:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd
Keep all these lessons learned coming, waiting to see if my offer accepted and will be there myself. At least part time maybe. And if all you pioneers can take most of the arrows...... ;D
l2...did you make an offer on a resale, or were you bold enough to make an offer on a new home? If the latter, I'll put that in my plan (if yours is accepted).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.