I have a question

Closed Thread
Old 10-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Taltarzac
Default Re: I have a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
It seems like politicians can pass out "Vote for me" leaflets and put up signs just about anywhere they want to. What are their limitations and recourses for violations? The Sumter Sun was a freebie newspaper when it started out and left copies in the driveways all over Sumter county.
The First Amendment and the FL Constitution would provide very high hurdles for any attempt by any city or county government to stop people from distributing political leaflets. http://www.answers.com/topic/time-pl...ns?cat=biz-fin

It would be pretty easy to argue that even if the Villages is private property many of its features touch on acting like a city government. So, the First Amendment protections would probably apply.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Founder

Courts all across the land are ruling that political advertising is the purest form of freedom of speech and the one that must be guarded the most. They are ruling time and again that any restrictions of candidates during the limited time they have to garner votes has a chilling effect on the political process. So any restrictions of knocking on doors, distribution of literature, prohabitions against yard signs or sign size or quantity is a clear and irrefutable violation of the freedom of speech.

I have asked this before. If a candidate for office is knocking on doors in the villages, what can be done to stop them. Neighborhood watch has no authority to do so. If they call the Sheriff, what is the Sheriff going to do, arrest them for campaigning? The streets in the Villages are public streets, as are the downtown streets. There is no way to legally forbid it. Thank God, The first amendment and the men and women who died to give us this right and freedom to select candidates and vote them into or out of office.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Veteran member

.Campaigning is another form of soliciting. Instead of a product, it's a vote. My opinion is that door to door soliciting is Taboo in TV and so it should be along with campaigning. The Village Sun newspaper is as close as I want to get to the candidates. Again it's only my opinion
Handie :joke:
Old 10-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handieman
.Campaigning is another form of soliciting. Instead of a product, it's a vote. My opinion is that door to door soliciting is Taboo in TV and so it should be along with campaigning. The Village Sun newspaper is as close as I want to get to the candidates. Again it's only my opinion
Handie :joke:
That is okay but the Villages Daily Sun seems to neglect the fact that part of the Villages is in Marion county. We do not get anything about the Marion county candidates, nor the closings, nor the garbage pickup changes. We are the forgotten people.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Talk Host
I have always been under the supposition that it is easier to be forgiven than it is to get permission .........and this is a classic case..
I personally think its a great idea, Your defense is Wendel Wilke and Herbert Hoover did it !! So why can't you......
Old 10-08-2007, 09:44 PM
Sage

Freedom of Speech, and aren't we lucky to have it.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:09 PM

AMEN! We are VERY lucky to have the freedoms we have, especially elections. Personally, I welcome any type of information that is presented, whether it be something thrown in the driveway, brochures in the door, or a candidate who takes the time to ring doorbells. Let me have ALL the information and filter it for myself! As for political information and comment, I prefer the St. Petersburg Times.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host
Every month, the Property Owners Association throws a small newsletter that has been stuffed in a pastic bag onto virtually every driveway in The Villages. This is nothing that I subscribe to, am a member of, or even want.

Here's the question. Could I print a newsletter about Talk of The Villages, stuff them in a plastic bag and toss them into driveways around the Villages?
I'm sure The Villages Police ( AKA Neighborhood Watch ) would bust you for littering ofr solicitation. DO AS WE SAY NOT AS WE DO
Old 10-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
I'm sure The Villages Police ( AKA Neighborhood Watch ) would bust you for littering ofr solicitation. DO AS WE SAY NOT AS WE DO
Bust me? What authority do they have?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.