Two Cars

Closed Thread
Old 07-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Veteran member
Default Two Cars

Does it make sense to keep two cars once you move to TV? Or selling one and replacing it with a golf cart the way to go? I'm trying to talk my husband into selling his Porsche Boxster but he doesn't want to part with it. Our other car is a Highlander. The Porsche is not practical (in my opinion) and car insurance on two cars will be pricey. We both work now so it's not much of a financial concern but once we move and retire, it will be, in my opinion!

Doesn't it make sense for him to sell it!!!! He said if he gets temporary brain failure and decides to sell, he'll wait until we move to TV because it's likely to sell faster in FLA.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Platinum member
Default Re: Two Cars

We moved here in Feb. and before we left my husband sold his Acura. We now have an Element and a 4 seater golf cart. The only time we use the car is when we leave The Villages or in a heavy rain. We take the cart everywhere--grocery shopping, church, doctors, rec centers etc. We are saving with insurance and certainly gas. Barb
Tampa, FL
Old 07-24-2007, 12:28 PM

Sell the Highlander !!! Your husband should be able to keep his car.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:46 PM
Veteran member

Keep the Boxter, sell the Highlander. The rag -top will be fun down here.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 07-24-2007, 01:22 PM
Veteran member

I'm laughing!!!! Are you all guys! The boxster is not practical at all - it's a fun car. There is no trunk space at all! It's too low to the ground and the engine is in the middle of the car.

But I hear you; if he really wants to keep it, he keeps it but in my logical mind, it doesn't make sense. What happens if we want to pick up folks at the airport or take our grandkids to Disney - no way to get there!
Old 07-24-2007, 04:29 PM
Veteran member

A few months before we moved we traded in both cars on a brand new car. We knew we would have only one car and one golf cart here. You will find that two cars are just not necessary. We use the golf cart for mostly everything except places that are not accessable via golf cart .... and they are few! We wanted to start retirement with a brand new car hoping it would last a LONG time..... you will find that you will each be using eithe vehicle for everything. I use the golf cart for the pool, shopping, eating out, etc. Use the car only for doctor outside the villages and a few other shopping places we can't take the cart.

For the airport, it won't take you long to figure out that the Villages shuttle service is the best way for visitors. At $35 per person each way, if you have only one or two guests, this is your best bet. You can then pick them up at either Sumter Landing or Spanish Springs. If you have 3 or more, they might want to rent a car. We personally HATE to drive to Orlando airport. It is a horrible trip with all the construction going.

Yes, also, consider a four seater golf cart. When the kids come the grandkids will get a big kick out of riding in the golf cart.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.