I Thought I Seen It All but.....

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2015, 04:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Imagine two 2-lane roads crossing each coming to a 4 way stop. If you were turning right or going straight, you would be in the right lane. If you were going straight or turning left, you would be in the left lane. It makes it almost impossible to mess up by using this logic.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:15 PM
Veteran member

Two elderly sisters retired to Florida. One day they were going to the grocery store and Maude noticed that Ethel drove through the first red light they encountered. Well, Maude thought, maybe the light had just changed. When Ethel drove through the second red light, Maude thought, I wonder if I should say something. When Ethel drove through a third red light, Maude decided she should say something. "Ethel," she said, "do you know you just drove through 3 red lights?" To which Ethel replied, "Oh God, am I driving?" :-)
Old 10-28-2015, 09:21 PM
Sage

I wonder if she is from Australia? I heard the toilet water swirls the opposite way too.
[she might have been upset because the dingo ate her baby]
Old 10-29-2015, 06:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
I know I’ll need an education on roundabouts (more than a YouTube video). I’m 54, lived in NY, FL, MD, VA, MO, AZ, and WA. All that being said, I have absolutely no experience with roundabouts. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve encountered them in my lifetime.

Be patient with us rookies. We learn fast but need more than a day

I think this is a good you tube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wIoR7fpPJM
Old 10-29-2015, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Not much different than any intersection. Enter in the left lane turn left or go straight. Enter in the right lane turn right or go straight. Use your turn signals so we know what you are going to do. Like any multi-lane road, no left turns from the right lane and no right turns from the left lane. When you enter a round a bout STAY IN THE LANE YOU ENTERED IN until you exit. It's really not that hard. One other thing, drive defensively because as the traffic increases people will scare they hell out of you in those suckers.
All true except for one problem---at RBs that have 4 entrances/exits. Let's take the Morse/Hillsborough/Moyer Loop RB for example. You are headed N on Morse, in the left lane and intend to go straight (continue N on Morse). You should stay in left lane, going 180 degrees from you entrance point.

Meanwhile, another car enters the RB from Moyer loop, headed west in the right lane with the intention of going straight onto Hillsborough. He is also supposed to stay in his (right) lane to go 180 degrees to Hillsborough. Now there is a problem at the northbound exit on Morse---the cars will be crossing in front of each other.

The solution, however is quite easy---it involves the ever dying concept of YIELDING the right of way. I also believe the following is law in most jurisdictions, although it is ignored more than followed:

If you are turning right (from a side street or parking lot) onto a 4 lane (2 each direction) road, you CANNOT turn into the right lane , even if it is clear, if traffic is coming in the left lane. The reason for this is obvious---car going 40+ mph in the left lane may be about to change lanes seeing the right lane is clear---until someone turns right in front of them. That is the law in NY, which is rarely followed, I don't know about FL. How often are you driving in the left lane and someone starts to shoot out into the right lane? You have no idea if they are going to turn wide, turn directly into your lane, or if they are even paying attention.

The RB situation is similar---you should not enter the RB when traffic is coming in EITHER lane, even if you plan on turning into the "clear" right lane, ESPECIALLY if you are not going to make the immediate (90 degree) right. This will avoid the scenario above. Like I said, I don't know if this is FL law, but if not, it should be. And if not---use some common sense and don't put yourself and another in that situation.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:55 AM

I heard about someone, three years ago, coming out of Spanish Springs one night after the entertainment, who turned south on Avenida in the wrong lane. Cars flashing their headlights and blowing their horns, and my wife screaming at me, convinced me I'd made a mistake. Oops. I mean, convinced them they had made a mistake, whoever it was.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:17 AM
Platinum member

I also continually see carts going the wrong way around various MMT roundabouts using them as a shortcut. They need to follow the same laws as regular roundabouts.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:49 AM
Sage

Many years ago when we first retired in 95 a woman got T-boned on rt 19 in St. Pete. The investigating officer why she pulled out into oncoming traffic. Her response was,"I counted" The officer asked her what did she count, she said, "I counted 10 cars I was next"

Lots of people past a certain age should not be driving. High odds of demential once we get past 80.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:03 AM
Sage

When I just learned to drive I was down the shore [NJ for beach tow]. Police all over the place and I start to make a U Turn. I get halfway when I see a No U Turn sign and and police car across the street. I put on my emergency brake, ran out of the car to the officer and asked if I was allowed to make a U Turn here. He yelled "No You Damn Fool". I said thank-you very much officer and ran back to my car, backed and kept going straight.
I guess he felt sorry for me being so stupid.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:29 PM
Sage

Before the new (now older) section south of 466a opened there was a BAD accident. It might have been on the roundabout in front of the fire-station. A couple slipped through the barricade as they wanted to nose around and see what was what. The did what I think they thought was a "short-cut" and went the wrong way and got smacked by a truck. The woman died and I never heard what happened with the husband. There's a reason there are signs not to trespass in the construction zones. BUT this was really a case of not being careful as well.
Closed Thread

Tags
left, roundabout, turn, made, incorrectly, hope, whoa, newbie, unharmed, fortunately, driving, careful, care, proper, entered, takes, woman, making, side, ago, days, thought, coming, notice, blvd

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.