I thought there were no fences allowed

Closed Thread
Old 12-21-2013, 08:47 PM
Email Reported As Spam

It was explained to us, by TV sales rep, that fences of any sort, including "landscaping" , are not allowed. This means that if you plant shrubs in such a configuration that will actually contain a dog, it's not allowed, even if there is no actual wire or other fence material.

Invisible fences, buried in the ground, are acceptable.

I'm a total dog lover and I, personally, would never report my neighbor unless it was truly a problem, but I have to shake my head at the people that buy here, knowing we have a whole bunch of rules, then go about trying to break the rules that keep it nice for all.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:57 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
"My neighbor is playing the television on their lanai too loudly. Someone saved all the chairs and I couldn't find a seat at LSL. Today I was in a roundabout and there was a car stopped, and they were reading a map. My neighbors painted their garage door red. Someone at the adult pool is playing loud music."

If someone does something really offensive or causes a safety issue, then please complain if it really bothers you. I'm not sure why anyone would bother to complain about a fence they can't see.

Live and let live.
Barefoot, it isn't the fence you 'can't see'...it's the legal fact that once a fence is allowed then the entire restriction is no longer enforceable. The next time someone puts up a fence they only have to say "THEY were allowed to do it". It's deed restrictions that keep this area as beautiful as it is and will insure our property values. When individuals buy into an area with deed restrictions it is done with the agreement that they will comply. We can't keep the restrictions that we like and give up the ones that we don't. There are people that think there is nothing wrong with cars on cinder blocks in the driveway or operating a day care in their house. There may be restrictions that I'm not crazy about but it's a really, really small price to pay.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Sage

The rules are no fences or dog runs. If one is creating a new spot in their yard such as a bricked in wall area or something with a cage, the area has to be at least 85% covered with spmething other than grass, I.e., brick, concrete, slate. It cannot be more than 15% grass so as to prevent people putting in dog runs. It someone has broken the rules, then as long as nobody complains they can get away with it. However, it someone Complains they will have to comply with the 85/15% rule. They will make them take down the fence and put a solid surface in.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
"My neighbor is playing the television on their lanai too loudly. Someone saved all the chairs and I couldn't find a seat at LSL. Today I was in a roundabout and there was a car stopped, and they were reading a map. My neighbors painted their garage door red. Someone at the adult pool is playing loud music."

If someone does something really offensive or causes a safety issue, then please complain if it really bothers you. I'm not sure why anyone would bother to complain about a fence they can't see.

Live and let live.
I like the way you think, and I understand what your saying 100%.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:39 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=Trish Crocker;799332]Barefoot, it isn't the fence you 'can't see'...it's the legal fact that once a fence is allowed then the entire restriction is no longer enforceable. [QUOTE]

I get your point, Trish. And in theory, I agree. But I'm just saying there are so darn many things that people complain about. Everything from people putting out garbage on the wrong day to people having grandchildren visit for more than 30 days. When I ride my bike through different neighborhoods, I have actually seen red driveways, houses that have properties that are completely rocked, and lawn ornaments galore (south of 466). Visible things that make me say Yikes!

I think there are a heck of a lot of infractions of community restrictions. And of course none of us want that. But we also don't want to be on the phone every day complaining about a neighbor.

Bottom line ... I think you have to choose your battles wisely, issues that you find really offensive or cause safety issues. A fence that can't be seen seems to be at the bottom of the list.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Sage

You also may not define a property line with hedges per Community Standards office.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:00 PM
Default Fences

[quote=Barefoot;799346][QUOTE=Trish Crocker;799332]Barefoot, it isn't the fence you 'can't see'...it's the legal fact that once a fence is allowed then the entire restriction is no longer enforceable.
Quote:

I get your point, Trish. And in theory, I agree. But I'm just saying there are so darn many things that people complain about. Everything from people putting out garbage on the wrong day to people having grandchildren visit for more than 30 days. When I ride my bike through different neighborhoods, I have actually seen red driveways, houses that have properties that are completely rocked, and lawn ornaments galore (south of 466). Visible things that make me say Yikes!

I think there are a heck of a lot of infractions of community restrictions. And of course none of us want that. But we also don't want to be on the phone every day complaining about a neighbor.

Bottom line ... I think you have to choose your battles wisely, issues that you find really offensive or cause safety issues. A fence that can't be seen seems to be at the bottom of the list.
Well said ! I agree 100 %. I do realize that we are not to have fences, but if you can't see the fence, why should we get so upset over it. We need to take a chill pill and calm down.... There are so many things that we can let get to us, we must remember we do live in paradise and be thankful that we can live in a beautiful area !
Old 12-21-2013, 10:05 PM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas

Quote:

Live and let live.
Life is full of rules - not just the ones in TV. My neighbor may be doing something against the rules, but if I don't know about it........ Kind of like the tree falling in the forest. If you can't see the fence, how can it possibly offend you. Some people water their lawn at night more than the rules allow. Should someone stay up at night and count the number of minutes and frequency of persons watering? Should you have to obtain permission to leave your garbage out before the due date if you are going out of town? Before you say but....but....what if you don't have neighbors yet to do it on time for you?
If something is TRULY offending, by all means complain. If you can't see it, I think you need to consider why it bothers you so much.

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 12-21-2013, 10:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

[quote=Barefoot;799346][QUOTE=Trish Crocker;799332]Barefoot, it isn't the fence you 'can't see'...it's the legal fact that once a fence is allowed then the entire restriction is no longer enforceable.
Quote:

The deed restrictions say no fences. It doesn't read that some may have fences or only fences that people like.
I agree if one gets away with having a fence then the next fence might be a lot more visible...............what's next a stockade fence? Your logic will just become more difficult to defend.
We all signed on by accepting the deed restrictions. They should be enforced. There are no choosing of battles that some are OK and others are not
So if I see something that should not be happening, I'll be making the call.
You don't have to drive very far from The Villages to see what happens when there are no deed restrictions.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=babs1199;799351][quote=Barefoot;799346][QUOTE=Trish Crocker;799332]Barefoot, it isn't the fence you 'can't see'...it's the legal fact that once a fence is allowed then the entire restriction is no longer enforceable.

Well said ! I agree 100 %. I do realize that we are not to have fences, but if you can't see the fence, why should we get so upset over it. We need to take a chill pill and calm down.... There are so many things that we can let get to us, we must remember we do live in paradise and be thankful that we can live in a beautiful area ![/QUOTE]

What about the next fence that you can see? What do you do then?
The Villages would not be a beautiful area................if all you could see were fences. Do you agree?
Old 12-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Sage

Dog area - with whom should I consult?
Old 12-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We lived in a condo for 16 years. There were rules. If you disregarded the rules, you would get a letter asking you to cease and desist. If you didn't, other things could happen, up to and including a huge lien on your condo. Some people decided to do their own landscaping, including those little fake brick walls. They were made to remove them. Even though we were on a marina, boats and rv's were not allowed in driveways longer than a week. No lawn ornaments. You signed on to that when you bought. The result is that the entire property is pristine and homogenous. Property values remain good. We lived in a condo complex in the '70s where rules were not enforced, and the entire property declined. So we've been in both situations.

I think you get into a problem when you decide it's okay for a fence here, okay for a lawn ornament there, etc. If my neighbor put up a four-foot wire fence, even with shrubs around it, I would certainly be able to see that fence. I think it would devalue my property for resale, and I would register a complaint.

I really wish TV would be more pro-active about enforcing its own rules so these issues wouldn't arise.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:55 PM
Gold member

Instead of breaking rules, they should have bought a courtyard villa.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

I agreed to the rules and expect to honor that agreement. I would hope that my neighbors are as honorable.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:58 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
You also may not define a property line with hedges per Community Standards office.
Rules are Rules I get it but what I don't get is the reasoning behind the rule in the first place.
So the whole purpose is so you can't find were your property line is? Doesn't make sense to me. A lot of the houses that have been here awhile have privacy landscaping in the back. The houses that back to a wall (ie are behind a street of courtyard villas) go for more money as do courtyard villas of equal square footage.so fencing must not be totally undesirable.

There was I believe a couple of streets that they put up a wall running on the rear line but then dropped the idea for whatever reason.

The only reason I can see for it is they think it will make people feel like they have more land than they do and be less aware of just how small the lots are.

I wonder if all the houses on both side of a rear line in a neighborhood decided they wanted to increase their property value by putting up a block wall down the rear line if they could get a variance.

If I buy here I will have to decide courtyard villa with only a 1 and a half garage or no privacy because no fences. I have moved a lot and have always found good fences made good neighbors. Restrictions on construction type, style. height I totally get none at all I don't. One place I lived they had to be cedar, stained natural and no higher than 5 and a half feet. Another town they had to be cement block and tan color. I didn't have a problem with either but none at all I just don't get it. Maybe someone could explain the appeal.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.