Ideas to stay busy on summer afternoons

Closed Thread
Old 06-14-2023, 06:53 AM
Default Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
This is my first summer here in The Villages. Early mornings are my favorite time — wake up slightly before sunrise, and go for a nice long walk, and then off to either pickleball or golf before it gets too hot. Also, dusk is a great time for another walk around the neighborhood, stopping to chat with neighbors along the way. (Or showing up at the square after 7 or so if I like one of the bands that is playing).

I’ve adjusted my afternoon schedule to stay indoors for the summer (unless I’m at the pool). If I go out, it’s to play rumikub at the rec center. My at-home indoor summer activities so far are working on my genealogy ancestry family trees, catching up on reading, jigsaw puzzles, and binging on old movies on TCM favorites.

Was curious what others are doing to stay busy indoors during the hot afternoon summers?
We love to golf in the afternoon during the summer. Courses are less crowded and the round moves quickly. Bring water and ice…best time of the year!!!
Old 06-14-2023, 06:54 AM

Go to the gym and work out
Old 06-14-2023, 06:56 AM

We are staying busy playing billiards. We have just joined a summer league and have gotten several of our friends together to play socially.
Old 06-14-2023, 07:44 AM
Veteran member

We have A-list memberships at the AMC theaters so movie prices are very cheap. Average as little as $2 per movie. We drive to the Lake Square mall to mall walk in ac and go to a movie; we shop, do errands, and/or eat out during these fun afternoons. Maybe a stop at a square for music on the way home. And we can go to AMCs anywhere, so sometimes we do these outings at Disney Springs, Altamonte mall, or other nearby cities.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 06-14-2023, 07:59 AM

There are SO MANY indoor activities throughout the day all year long. Pick up your recreation paper at a rec. center. Or go on
thevillages.com and go to the calendar. You sound like a pretty active person in the early mornings! (I'm still sleeping)LOL
Old 06-14-2023, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,055 Times in 5,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
When you say discussion groups, what do you mean and where do they meet?
Talks about weather, science and technology, civil discourse about interesting topics, there are at least a dozen.

Watch the Sun and you will see them.
Old 06-14-2023, 09:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Talks about weather, science and technology, civil discourse about interesting topics, there are at least a dozen.

Watch the Sun and you will see them.
I did find a site on the internet: Villages Discussion Groups
Thanks!
Old 06-14-2023, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn0wheremann View Post
Siesta. See, I’m getting multicultural in my old age.
There are yoga classes available in the afternoon. Look through the weekly rec section. Also some afternoon Tai Chi classes. Have you been to First Responders Rec Center? It is terrific! The wall exhibits to honor first responders are fascinating. Also lots of indoor games for a brutally hot afternoon. Welcome to TV! This is our first summer as well.
Old 06-14-2023, 01:15 PM
Default Go Bowling

Quote:
This is my first summer here in The Villages. Early mornings are my favorite time — wake up slightly before sunrise, and go for a nice long walk, and then off to either pickleball or golf before it gets too hot. Also, dusk is a great time for another walk around the neighborhood, stopping to chat with neighbors along the way. (Or showing up at the square after 7 or so if I like one of the bands that is playing).

I’ve adjusted my afternoon schedule to stay indoors for the summer (unless I’m at the pool). If I go out, it’s to play rumikub at the rec center. My at-home indoor summer activities so far are working on my genealogy ancestry family trees, catching up on reading, jigsaw puzzles, and binging on old movies on TCM favorites.

Was curious what others are doing to stay busy indoors during the hot afternoon summers?
There are almost 100 lanes of bowling in or near TV and the A/C and beer are cold! The most open bowling is in the summer. Try a “Bad Bowlers League” (8 weeks and a pizza).
Old 06-14-2023, 02:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Most days, I spend my time getting ready to start a local chapter of the Procrastinators' Club of America.
Old 06-14-2023, 03:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,055 Times in 5,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
Most days, I spend my time getting ready to start a local chapter of the Procrastinators' Club of America.
Should be lots of folks wanting to join
Old 06-14-2023, 04:18 PM
Default Line Dancing!!

Quote:

Nobody has mentioned Line Dancing!! There's always room for more men.
Old 06-14-2023, 04:27 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,655 Times in 446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahK View Post
Nobody has mentioned Line Dancing!! There's always room for more men.
I get asked almost weekly by women I meet to join line dancing - maybe one day I’ll give it a try 😀
Old 06-14-2023, 04:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

read a book
Old 06-14-2023, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Continue with your outdoor activities................jus do them wisely......fluids, breaks, shade, etc.
If only all developers would leave trees for shade
Closed Thread

Tags
summer, stay, time, indoors, walk

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.