If you own a palm tree you should know!

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2014, 04:48 PM
Default If you own a palm tree you should know!

It is the time of year when doors get knocked on for Spring Trimming. Say NO! Palm Trees should not be trimmed unless they have brown fronds, and only those fronds should be cut. Just because your lawn man can mow it does not mean he's knowledgeable enough to trim your trees. Make sure you point out the fronds you want cut and no more. Best if you also wait until the middle of March.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:57 PM
Veteran member

You should also know to hire a professional tree service. Any of these guys who drive around know little about what they are doing. You do not want someone trimming your palms if they do not sanitize their cutting tools. Some palms are diseased and if the tools are not sanitized after each use they can easily spread these diseases to your palm trees.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:12 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
You should also know to hire a professional tree service. Any of these guys who drive around know little about what they are doing. You do not want someone trimming your palms if they do not sanitize their cutting tools. Some palms are diseased and if the tools are not sanitized after each use they can easily spread these diseases to your palm trees.
Great post.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:24 PM

Thank you! I have no idea when it comes to this subject or anything about landscape or plant maintenance
Old 02-05-2014, 10:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
Happydaz -- you are right! However, beyond a "professional tree service" you should make sure that the person is a licensed arborist. Yes -- very important.

Please keep this in mind . . . a palm should never be pruned more than this: pretend you are the palm tree. Hold your arms out to either 9:15 or 3:45 (same thing) -- in other words, the letter 'T'. Fronds should never be trimmed above this level.

I've noticed that within the Villages common areas, the palms have been horribly abused. They are trimmed almost to the point of straight up. If you ever notice a palm that has an indentation in the trunk, that is the result of being trimmed in that almost straight up, too high manner. That kind of trimming ultimately weakens the tree and it usually will not hold up in a severe storm. They break in half at that indentation.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didiwinbob View Post
Thank you! I have no idea when it comes to this subject or anything about landscape or plant maintenance
If you have a question, don't be shy. Ask questions on this forum. There are those of us who will be happy to help you.

Remember: ASK! Better safe than sorry.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:18 AM

We have a palm that has lots of ferns growing on the trunk can these be removed ?
Old 02-06-2014, 06:46 AM
Sage

It's my understanding where moisture and temperature conditions are such ferns may grow. Ferns produce spores that grow into new ferns. Rain washes sperm cells down the trunk to egg cells. Some fern spores can be airborne and will reproduce where conditions allow. These do not harm the tree.

So I think they can be cut off if you wish.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:10 AM
Gold member

What about the large branches loaded with the small green berries. If left alone they turn into a purple'ish berry and fall onto the ground and really make a mess. Does it hurt the tree to cut these off while they are still green?
Old 02-06-2014, 08:18 AM
Sage

If you really want great palm tree info

PalmTalk
Old 02-06-2014, 08:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroglass View Post
We have a palm that has lots of ferns growing on the trunk can these be removed ?
And I am trying to figure out how to get them growing on my palms!!! To each his own.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroglass View Post
I actually like ferns growing on the trunk. In fact, I found one of these ferns growing on a palm tree and borrowed one fern frond with spores. I then went home, scraped off the spores and planted them in the crevices where the older palm fronds had been removed. I am hoping they will sprout and grow. These ferns are epiphytes that like to grow on trees, rocks, etc., they do no harm to the palm tree. If messiness bothers you, you can trim up the ferns to get rid of older, ugly fronds and you could also try to pull them off the tree if they aren't growing well. It might be tough to pull them all out, but it may be possible. Give it a try. You wouldn't want to use any chemicals or herbicides that could harm your tree.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:22 PM
Veteran member

you may take off any of the bunches of flowers/fruits as they form. they are only produced so that the palm can form seeds. i remove them before they even open up.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyf View Post
What about the large branches loaded with the small green berries. If left alone they turn into a purple'ish berry and fall onto the ground and really make a mess. Does it hurt the tree to cut these off while they are still green?
The "berries" you are speaking about are the seeds to grow new palm trees. You can cut that stalk off without doing any harm to the tree itself.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:41 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
If you really want great palm tree info

PalmTalk
Great information!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.