Ignoring the Law

Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2021, 04:17 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
I don't understand the statement that said we only have 54 houses and two streets and a circle and 4 houses on each street and yes the sign is at the gate. How does that relate to what the speed is in the specific village? As I read the statement it has no relevant data regarding the speed limits on these streets? The layout of that specific village is interesting but the response is an example of understanding and staying on the subject.
Bingo! Most answers are irrelevant on most posts.

Last edited by Dana1963; 09-22-2021 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-22-2021, 05:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
It is a given that laws passed that are unrealistic will be ignored. This is the case in some speed limits in the Villages. This was highlighted to me when we drove by the entrance to the Bridgeport at Laurel Manor village. There is a speed limit posted at 5MPH? I wonder how many if any actually pay attention to it since most cars will not even slow to 5mph and I suspect this is also true to some Golf Carts? I wonder how many limits in The Villages are like this? When it happens people tend to ignore additional laws?
First thing - when I was head of a HOA over on Florida's east coast someone wanted our speed limit dropped from 25 to 20, county told us that was illegal and that 25 was the minimum we could post (and we were private and gated)

However there is this from Florida State -

Standard Florida speed limit laws:
20 mph: school zones
30 mph: urban district or street
55 mph: all roads and highways unless otherwise posted
60 mph: two-lane sections of highways and freeways
70 mph: freeways, interstate highways, and other roads if posted

Keeping in mind T.V. is not a gated community, it's a community with gates (due to gold carts)
Old 09-22-2021, 06:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Still not relevent

The one note describing a Village for recognition purpose is still not answering the question if a car or cart could maintain a 5mph speed regardless of what I am sure is in a very nice village. As the saying goes I can ask the question but I can't help you answer it.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:17 AM

There was a school of thought regarding speed limits going back to the 70's and 80's when speed traps were the norm in small towns outside Atlanta. The towns would set speed limits unreasonably low to increase the numbers of speeders they could ticket and the fines they could charge due to the larger differences. We lived nearby one of the worst in the state, Stockbridge, GA. The feds came in to do a traffic study and one of the methods they used was that 60% (or so, can't remember the exact number) of observed drivers would drive a safe speed on any road regardless of the posted sign. So they determined a lot of the major streets the town had posted 25 and 35 MPH, should instead be 45 MPH and on the outskirts of town 55 MPH based on the percentage of people already driving those speeds. Generally speaking, people didn't speed up with the new signs with higher limits, but the towns revenue went way down! The governor eventually disbanded the town's police force for a while because they still were abusing drivers especially those from out of county, but the town eventually got their PD back a few years later.
Closed Thread

Tags
limits, speed, 5mph, villages, attention

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.