I'm a little worried.....

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Sage
Default I'm a little worried.....

I'm getting a little worried. A neighbor two doors down just painted their front door and garage door barn red. About three culdesacs away, they painted their trim Forrest green. I am worried that people will start painting their homes, doors, trim and what ever else they can, all kinds of colors. With the homes so close, I think the neighborhoods will start to look like a circus town with all different colors. The reason we moved here is because we like the simplicity and class of the neighborhoods and how pleasing to the eye all of the homes are. I know each to their own but this is not the type of area to express your personal taste in such a bold way. Is anyone else thinking about this?
Old 09-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Sage

I haven't thought about it
Old 09-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Platinum member

I'd love a red door but not garage door. Seems inappropriate. My house came with a green door when I bought it.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:17 PM
Sage

I think painting a front door is fine but the garage doors are an eye sorer. Since garage doors are down most of the time they are in your face. Why would anyone want to put more attention on the garage doors? The reason they are painted the way the are when built is to make them blend not stand out.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

my house came with forest green doors....next door is navy, across the street is dark red...and next to them is a pea green,,,that what the villages painted them..... let the rainbow begin
Old 09-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You should report it to Community Standards. I doubt this is allowed. BTW, reports are anonymous. You will not have to give your name. Someone will come out and look and if it is a violation they will be cited. Changing the paint color must be approved.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I'm getting a little worried. A neighbor two doors down just painted their front door and garage door barn red. About three culdesacs away, they painted their trim Forrest green. I am worried that people will start painting their homes, doors, trim and what ever else they can, all kinds of colors. With the homes so close, I think the neighborhoods will start to look like a circus town with all different colors.
I saw 12 - 15 clowns in a golf cart going town Morse earlier today.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:30 PM
KittyKat

Happinow, this worries me too. When I wanted to paint the front door I called the ARC to see if I needed to fill out the form and was told no. I started to tell her what color I was going to paint it and she said they don't care(!). I couldn't believe it. The garage door is painted to match the tan siding. I can't imagine a red garage door and also the forest green trim on the other house. I have seen a house off of Delmar that has a bright blue on the trim. Pretty soon we'll be seeing houses painted pink and turquoise--that's the reason we wanted south of 466. I think you should get those addresses and give the compliance people a call.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
You should report it to Community Standards. I doubt this is allowed. BTW, reports are anonymous. You will not have to give your name. Someone will come out and look and if it is a violation they will be cited. Changing the paint color must be approved.
Unfortunately it is allowed. And it worries me too.

Deed restrictions do not govern exterior paint colors or colors on driveways.

This can become a problem. I wish they would change it.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:40 PM

.....but they care if two houses next to each other are the same color. Go figure.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddie101 View Post
.....but they care if two houses next to each other are the same color. Go figure.

There have been some talked about instances of intense color used around town. It is sad that not everyone has the same idea of what is tasteful. I very much know that the people who designed this place do know what is tasteful, but it is not in the deed restrictions for some reason or another.

Our neighbors moved from Bonita Springs near Ft. Meyers and they said their development had restrictions on what homes could be repainted, they had to have approval.

I wish they did here.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There have been some talked about instances of intense color used around town. It is sad that not everyone has the same idea of what is tasteful. I very much know that the people who designed this place do know what is tasteful, but it is not in the deed restrictions for some reason or another.

Our neighbors moved from Bonita Springs near Ft. Meyers and they said their development had restrictions on what homes could be repainted, they had to have approval.

I wish they did here.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:17 PM
Sage

If someone's front door worries you guys, you wouldn't have liked the house I saw a couple of weeks ago while I was going to yard sales with my stepdaughter. It was P-I-N-K. The lady having the yard sale lived directly across the street from the house and actually had a table set up on her driveway asking people to sign a petition requesting that there be restrictions on the colors people can paint their houses.

I told her I liked the house. She didn't ask me to sign her petition. Who knows? Maybe the person who lives there is a breast cancer survivor. Or maybe the color wasn't exactly what they wanted, or maybe they just like the color. Or maybe they did it to **** off their nosey neighbor across the street.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I'm getting a little worried. A neighbor two doors down just painted their front door and garage door barn red. ------. I know each to their own but this is not the type of area to express your personal taste in such a bold way. Is anyone else thinking about this?
Apparently you haven't been bothered by some of the awful painted/decorated driveways that seem abound in The Villages. To me a red or green door is minor compared to what can be done on a 16'X 30' hunk of concrete!
Old 09-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

the issue of house painting and arc approval has come up as recently as the may 8 amenity authority committee mtg re the lady lake/lake county area.

the burden this would place on the arc is discussed in some depth at the may 8 aac minutes that you should be able to link to from here: VCDD AAC listing of dates is on lower half of the page. it's an interesting read!

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.