Bird Cages

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Veteran member
Default Bird Cages

Does anyone know if one can build a birdcage with glass or plexiglass on the roof area to keep out the rain. My neighbor has a bird cage and then a canopy inside the cage to keep out the light rain. Glass on top would be a lot more efficient room wise and certainly nicer.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2at View Post
Does anyone know if one can build a birdcage with glass or plexiglass on the roof area to keep out the rain. My neighbor has a bird cage and then a canopy inside the cage to keep out the light rain. Glass on top would be a lot more efficient room wise and certainly nicer.
It might be quite a bit warmer in the summer months. But if you call Florida Spa & Pool, I'msure they can give you an answer. They are a subsidiary of T&D Concrete and they have a subsidiary or sister subsidiary that constructs most of the birdcages in TV. Another source might be the Sumter County Building Department annex down on CR 466, who I'm sure could tell you whether such construction would meet local codes.

I'd be careful with large expanses of plexiglass. I had a gazebo with seasonal plexi windows up north and my brother has a pergola that's got a partial plexi "roof" down in Houston. In both cases we found it very difficult to keep the plexi clean without scratching it badly. The plexi fogged up over time, as well.

Last edited by Villages Kahuna; 01-12-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Sage

Another option, albeit expensive, might be a roll out awning. It would have to be custom made to fit the large expanse underneath the part of the cage you want to sit under but I would think that anything could be done. At least that way you'd have something that could be removed easily.

Is that even possible?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Veteran member

Tnx guys. I guess the best thing to do is do a little research. The cloth coverings which cover the entire surface area of the bird cages is so ugly (to me). Hope I did not offend anyone.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.