Independence Day Fireworks on Lake Sumter

View Poll Results: Would you like to see a fireworks display on Lake Sumter...on Independence Day?
YES-As long as it's free. 53 39.26%
YES-Even if I had to pay an extra $5 a year. 40 29.63%
YES-But would prefer it at Christmas, or when more people are here. 2 1.48%
NO-They're boring...even if it was free. 18 13.33%
NO-Especially if I had to pay anything extra for it. 22 16.30%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2018, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Keep in mind the voters represents a very small percentage of this forum which in turn represents an even smaller, infinitesimal, percentage of TV.

And while the poll is aimed mostly at residents, those residents represent an aged/aging part of the population,
that very definitely affects the response(s).
Old 07-01-2018, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
From what I am hearing from the naysayers, it shouldn’t be allowed here so go to another community that has made a mistake and allows free fireworks. Some very interesting views are being voiced by the over 55 club. I will ask my Vietnam Veterans group about PTSD and fireworks.
I would like to tell you this. My flag is flying, as will be many in this patriotic community. I have seen many fireworks displays surrounded by friends and holding my youngest in my arms and many, many more as life passed. I stand when the flag goes by with my hand over my heart. I was a Girl Scout and a Girl scout leader and mother of TWO Girl Scout leaders and a student and teacher that said the pledge to the flag every day in the classrom. I love to shake the hands of the villagers who wear their caps showing they served. I understand that you have wonderful memories of firework displays in Urbana, Ohio and I honor your patriotism.

There isn't a place anywhere in The Villages that would hold the crowd that would come. That in itself is amazing and wonderful.

On Wednesday, you can stand on the boardwalk at Lake Sumter and look in any direction and see fireworks. I will be sitting on my front porch watching them too.

I do not want this place run by capricious votes. I like the way it is now.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-01-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Chicago had their fireworks on July 3rd with a million+ people in attendance. Sure it was crowded but people enjoyed the event and night out. The outlying suburbs had their own show on the 4th, and you could actually see fireworks everywhere while sitting on your patio. Fireworks are synonymous with the Fourth Of July.

I'll be sitting on the beach watching them at Sanibel and Ft. Myers Beach. Would much prefer to stay in my home town here enjoying the festivities.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2018, 10:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I would love fire works but as others have said, it would be a logistical nightmare. The poll should have a choice of NO...other reasons.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Think of those who deal with PTSD. Fireworks can trigger a multitude of issues. Protect our veterans, in some states there are laws about fireworks and PTSD. It’s. NO for us
Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Instead of having our own fireworks so we can stay in the 'bubble', how about venturing out to one of neighboring towns like Wildwood or Leesburg so we can be a pat of our greater community?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
No fireworks, after about the first 50 shows I have seen during my life, they are all the same. They scare dogs with sensitive ears, pollute the air (and water if shot off by the lake), and cost $$. I would much rather see the money spent to keep the recreation news insert continue on a weekly basis in the daily sun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I would like to tell you this. My flag is flying, as will be many in this patriotic community. I have seen many fireworks displays surrounded by friends and holding my youngest in my arms and many, many more as life passed. I stand when the flag goes by with my hand over my heart. I was a Girl Scout and a Girl scout leader and mother of TWO Girl Scout leaders and a student and teacher that said the pledge to the flag every day in the classrom. I love to shake the hands of the villagers who wear their caps showing they served. I understand that you have wonderful memories of firework displays in Urbana, Ohio and I honor your patriotism.

There isn't a place anywhere in The Villages that would hold the crowd that would come. That in itself is amazing and wonderful.

On Wednesday, you can stand on the boardwalk at Lake Sumter and look in any direction and see fireworks. I will be sitting on my front porch watching them too.

I do not want this place run by capricious votes. I like the way it is now.
I agree with ALL of these folks! The Villages is highly patriotic, year round. If you feel the need to see the fireworks---you can go either to Leesburg or Wildwood. You can even find a higher point here (in your golf cart) and view them from afar.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:31 AM

Were do you found a high enough point in the Villages to view fireworks in Leesburg?

Last edited by LuannBlue; 07-01-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:45 AM

They make ear plugs for dogs and people. They work great, and don’t cost that much, use them on our Chihuahua with large mortars going off. She goes outside in the heat of 4th of July noise and ignores the noise and the flashes. So saying it’s bad for pets and vet is not that great of a excuse. They make noise canceling headset for watching TV. Again no excuse to letting there be fireworks in the Villages. We live next door to a family who’s daughter has Down syndrome and doesn’t like fireworks so they plan a night of popcorn and movies. She wears the noise canceling headset and does great because she doesn’t hear the bangs.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuannBlue View Post
We’re have you found a high enough point in the Villages to view fireworks in Leesburg?
There is a hill in Hadley...and the green grass grows all around all around. I digress.

Hadley has a hill and Hemmingway golf course has an area off Havana trail that you can see fireworks and space shots, but don't TELL anyone or there will be no space for YOU.

Happy Fourth Luann red white and blue.

PLUS just about any driveway gives you bright bursts of fireworks over the tops of homes while you remember your children and grandchildren's eyes watching them on the fourth and the folks who served our country and think how lucky we are to live in this wonderful place with all it's patriotic citizens......and then it gets blurry.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:02 AM
Gold member

Lots going on in each square on the 4th.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	36344285_900394416810486_2675161255517356032_n.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	75527  

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 07-01-2018, 11:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Were do you found a high enough point in the Villages to view fireworks in Leesburg?
I'm gonna guess here:

The Villages Florida

Old 07-01-2018, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
From what I am hearing from the naysayers, it shouldn’t be allowed here so go to another community that has made a mistake and allows free fireworks. Some very interesting views are being voiced by the over 55 club. I will ask my Vietnam Veterans group about PTSD and fireworks.
Yep.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Drive down 44, just before 27 the road starts going downhill. pull off and park....great view and easy exit.....oops gave away my secret. wildwood is suppose to have fireworks at the community center right opposite the sweetgum golf course.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
Good point. Who needs fireworks when you have Scooter?!?
Old 07-01-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
That's not really a lot. Its a lot of repeat. And IMO not the best representation of The Villages, but rather corny. BTW, what do Scottish Bagpipers have to do with the 4th of July??
Old 07-01-2018, 01:50 PM
Sage

Leftover credit from Tartan Day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomp679 View Post
That's not really a lot. Its a lot of repeat. And IMO not the best representation of The Villages, but rather corny. BTW, what do Scottish Bagpipers have to do with the 4th of July??
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.