Indépendant Voter?

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2022, 07:31 AM
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy o View Post
What newspaper was this? I did not read that in The Daily Sun, or POA. In any event not true.
It IS true. Please go to elections office webpage to confirm. I am working the polls and have been trained for the upcoming primary.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,132 Times in 418 Posts

You can register as an Independent, but in primary elections you can only vote for candidates who are not affiliated with either political party.

You can vote for any of the candidates running for office in the General Election in November, of course.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,568 Times in 3,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
You can register as an Independent, but in primary elections you can only vote for candidates who are not affiliated with either political party.

You can vote for any of the candidates running for office in the General Election in November, of course.
If the candidates are running in one party, and there is no opposition in the other party, then anyone can vote in that singular primary.

In other words - if there is only a Republican primary, and there won't be a Democratic Primary in that season, then any registered voter can vote in the Republican one.

As specified up-thread, from the Sumter County voting page:

"However, there are times when all registered voters can vote in a primary election, regardless
of which major or minor political party they are registered or even if they are registered without
party affiliation:
• If all the candidates for an office have the same party affiliation and the winner of the
primary election will not face any opposition in the general election, then all registered
voters can vote for any of the candidates for that office in the primary election."
Old 08-03-2022, 10:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Closed Primary Election
Florida is a closed primary election state. Only voters who are registered members of political parties may vote for respective party candidates.
I have no faith in The Daily Sun!
Independent voters were able to vote for Republican county commissioners. Faith in daily sun has nothing to do with it.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmarr View Post
no its Florida .. i register as conservative/republican to be able to vote in the primary's
Are there other kinds of Republican ?
Old 08-03-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy o View Post
What newspaper was this? I did not read that in The Daily Sun, or POA. In any event not true.
It's in the POA Bulletin, front page.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:44 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,107 Times in 303 Posts

I've got a better question -- why are so-called "non-partizan" offices on a primary ballot?

I started doing research on the county judges and school board seats on my sample Marion County ballot and discovered that these were declared "non-partizan". When I researched the candidates, I discovered that the ones on the ballot were the only people running, and their campaign pages carefully avoided anything that would give a hint to their values.

This is my first time voting in Florida. I don't get it. What happens in the general, if everyone has already voted on these people in the Primary? And why wouldn't you want to know the political persuasion of your judges and school board members?

And here's something even weirder -- there were no state senators or congressmen on the ballot. What's up with that?
Old 08-03-2022, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,426 Times in 2,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
I've got a better question -- why are so-called "non-partizan" offices on a primary ballot?

I started doing research on the county judges and school board seats on my sample Marion County ballot and discovered that these were declared "non-partizan". When I researched the candidates, I discovered that the ones on the ballot were the only people running, and their campaign pages carefully avoided anything that would give a hint to their values.

This is my first time voting in Florida. I don't get it. What happens in the general, if everyone has already voted on these people in the Primary? And why wouldn't you want to know the political persuasion of your judges and school board members?

And here's something even weirder -- there were no state senators or congressmen on the ballot. What's up with that?
You are registered Independent or possibly as a Republican. Since there will be candidates from both parties on the ballot in November, Independent voters do not get to vote on these positions in the August primary.

If you registered Republican then there may not be anyone running against the incumbent and so there would be no need to put these offices on the primary ballot.

The sample ballots for Democrats, Republicans, and Independents (no party) will all look different.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-04-2022, 02:18 AM

According to Pew the majority of independents lean toward one of the two major parties. Sometimes I wonder what advantage they have over those voters who are registered to a party.
A deeper question is about what the media calls "undecided" voters. If a voter really can't tell the difference between the values and objectives of republicans vs those of democrats, is that person informed enough to even be voting?
Old 08-04-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ SLIM View Post
According to Pew the majority of independents lean toward one of the two major parties. Sometimes I wonder what advantage they have over those voters who are registered to a party.
A deeper question is about what the media calls "undecided" voters. If a voter really can't tell the difference between the values and objectives of republicans vs those of democrats, is that person informed enough to even be voting?
Undecided can be for many reasons. One example is you have always voted for one political party but don’t like the candidate this time around, maybe even hate him with every fiber of your being. So then you might be undecided. Another example is not liking either party so trying to decide who is the least objectionable.

Voting for “values and objectives” can find us with a horrible,vile person in office which kind of puts a hole in the whole “values” thing.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:27 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,107 Times in 303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
You are registered Independent or possibly as a Republican. Since there will be candidates from both parties on the ballot in November, Independent voters do not get to vote on these positions in the August primary.

If you registered Republican then there may not be anyone running against the incumbent and so there would be no need to put these offices on the primary ballot.

The sample ballots for Democrats, Republicans, and Independents (no party) will all look different.
There were three people running in all the judge and school board races I mentioned. I still don't understand why they are on a Republican primary ballot if they aren't running as republicans.

And are you kidding me? You're saying there are Dems are running unopposed for the state house and senate? Wow.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,426 Times in 2,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
There were three people running in all the judge and school board races I mentioned. I still don't understand why they are on a Republican primary ballot if they aren't running as republicans.

And are you kidding me? You're saying there are Dems are running unopposed for the state house and senate? Wow.
Judges and school boards are nonpartisan so they will be on every ballot.

Sumter County Commissioner candidates are all Republican. The winner of the primary will be the only name on the ballot in November. Effectively, for these positions, the August primary is the entire election. Therefore, these will be on every ballot.

If you are seeing DEM on the ballot for Senate, Governor, Attorney General, and Commissioner of Agriculture then you must be looking at a Democratic Party ballot.

OH! I think I understand what you are saying. If there is only one Republican candidate for a position, say DeSantis for Governor, then I don't know if the single name would be listed on the ballot. It wouldn't mean that only Democrats are running for the position, it would mean that there is only one Republican running for the position so there is no need to choose him/her in the primary. But I don't know, I can't see the Republican primary ballot.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Closed Thread

Tags
indépendant, primary, upcoming, vote, party

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.