Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
"most of us live on fixed income, its called a salary. . . "

I don't remember where I heard this from a long time ago, but its true
You mean a salary for being retired?
Old 09-30-2021, 02:00 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

From the census data, I really don’t think many Villagers are living the Village lifestyle off their social security check. Most have done quite well financially the last few years. Our homes have greatly appreciated in value and the stock market has performed with record returns. There is still time to turn some of that appreciation to cash and if in the market take some profits if you project a personal budget shortfall because of inflation. Just my personal analysis and observation of where the vast majority of Villagers stand financially today. There is a definite shortage of labor and a part-time job will do a lot to makeup a personal budget shortfall if that becomes necessary. Besides, a part-time job can be an energizer for many retirees whether you can use the money or not.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
2-4%??? Evidently you don't buy gas or food and I feel sorry for anyone needing appliances or to replace their car. The price of steel has more than tripled and it ain't ancient history, those who were ready to buy a home have found that the home they can now afford is not the home they were hoping for. 2-4% is not even close to being realistic. Lumber, although down from it's high in May is is not ancient history, it is still nearly 30% higher than a year ago and is forecast to go right back up by the end of the year along with just about everything else. This is not over by a long shot and I do truly feel for those who are on a fixed income.
My car is a diesel. Just filled it up. Price was withing 5 cent of the same price it has been for at least a year ($3.00 gallon). Everything else you listed above are supply chain issues which will sort themselves out. Stock market gurus (Not the radio/TV hacks) are not worried, either am I.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:13 PM
Sage

The COLA is based on the CPI-W. So, you are suggesting that "they" are planning on mucking around with the CPI-W calculation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
"Should Be" are the key words. They will find some reason to make it closer to 3% either by saying it's only a temporary increase in costs or Medicare can't afford what the adjustment "should be".
Old 09-30-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulej View Post
Everything else you listed above are supply chain issues which will sort themselves out.
Or not. It might get worse because it may be driven by variables other than crowded ports or manufacturing delays. Maybe some of it is intentional.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:21 PM

inflation is not from covid..
Old 09-30-2021, 02:25 PM

I have different view, we have been fortunate that inflation had been flat the last 10 or so years. Knowing that eventually prices will rise, you acumulate savings during the flat line inflation years. ie plan ahead
Old 09-30-2021, 02:26 PM

all you people better wake up!!! 6$ a gal gas, 7.50 a gal milk, stock market will tank as well as housing. I just spent 116$ in aldi's for 70$ worth of groceries. That's what I paid last month for the same groceries. This will continue for the next 3 plus years.. hope everyone is happy in their rose colored glasses.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,113 Posts

98% of the current debt was on the books the first of year , maybe things get worse maybe they don’t but there are always the prophets of doom whether things are good or bad crying, just wait see how bad things will be in the future it will be legendary , but we seem to always bounce back and thrive , although I predict that milk will go so high everyone will buy a cow
Old 09-30-2021, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frose View Post
all you people better wake up!!! 6$ a gal gas, 7.50 a gal milk, stock market will tank as well as housing. I just spent 116$ in aldi's for 70$ worth of groceries. That's what I paid last month for the same groceries. This will continue for the next 3 plus years.. hope everyone is happy in their rose colored glasses.
A 65% increase in one month at Aldi's.....hard to believe?
Old 09-30-2021, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by too17 View Post
Actually I think I figured it out all by myself!
You must be another Moonbat from New York, New Jersey, or some other place in the Northeast People's Republic.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
My post regarding "chicken little the sky is falling" was in response to a post predicting gloom and doom, $6.00/gal gas and $7.50/gal milk.

I have no idea whatsoever what your post was referring to, nor do I have a clue what a "moonbat" is, nor do I know what you "figured out all by yourself"

Consider yourself wrong, AND corrected.

PS---How did I get to be so smart?----born that way, had smart parents. But it's all relative
Old 09-30-2021, 03:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,915 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape Artist View Post
You mean a salary for being retired?
no it means that you don't have to be retired to be on fixed income. .
unless you are in sales with commissions, or hourly with overtime,
your salary is fixed. . hence your income is fixed. .

ie inflation hits working people with salaries as well as retired people
with social security. . both are fixed income
Old 09-30-2021, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,915 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
I predict that milk will go so high everyone will buy a cow
Are you sure its going to result in buying a cow versus having a cow?

Old 09-30-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
A 65% increase in one month at Aldi's.....hard to believe?
I really question that number as well. I've been doing the shopping this year (most of it) while my wife is out with some back problems. If I came home with price changes anything close to that (or not even close) believe me, I would have heard about from her. Maybe Aldi is moving back to what would normally be their prices since they have been open for a while now? I don't shop there, so don't really know. I do all my shopping at Publix - lots of nice bo-gos and 2-fers.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
Dollar store is still full of one dollar items, so I'm good. But yes lots of inflation since Covid.

Today on wall street:
"Dollar Tree (DLTR) had been the biggest laggard, falling around 6%. It comes after Wednesday's spike on plans to add price points above $1 across Dollar Tree Plus stores. It will also test price points above $1 in some legacy stores."

Last edited by rustyp; 10-01-2021 at 05:32 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
inflation, fix, income, supplys, headlines

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.