Information from those who rent their homes

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2023, 12:55 PM
Default for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshook View Post
Hi there, we are looking to purchase a home and then rent it part of the year. I’ve been researching, and I’m hoping some would share here or privately if they feel the market is over saturated with rentals? Is it a profitable thing or do you just break even? Is there a certain area that is better for rentals? Thanks so much for any insight!
We are moving to assisted living and selling our home in Woodbury completely turn key, with golf cart, hot tub on enclosed Lani, nice furniture for $350k On a dead end street in an dead end section. Quiet, Fun neighbors with quite a few parties. tibmayo@yahoo.com
Old 06-13-2023, 01:38 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,640 Times in 1,768 Posts

Housing data shows that Americans still love the 'warm weather' South, expert says

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-13-2023, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmama18 View Post
You can ask if it's a service animal and if so, what service(s) it has been trained to do. You cannot ask about what the disability is.
Yes Thanks Zenmama.This is correct per our HOA attorneys at 2 different FL properties. Retiredguy also has comments that are in line with what I've heard from legal experts (I am not a legal expert).

As always - don't rely on advice about legal matters given to you by strangers on the internet. There are comments and assertions in this thread about ADA issues that I'm pretty sure are incorrect, so please - seek advice about ADA issues and service animals from a legal expert.

Also - as someone else mentioned these laws exist to protect people with disabilities. *There are many people who have disabilities that are not apparent to us.*PTSD, mental challenges and others. Disabilities can be very challenging and I don't want to add to that. I want to be sure that I don't in ANY way do a disservice to a disabled person by mistreating them. That includes harassing them, questioning them legally or illegally about an animal they have leashed and under their control.
Old 06-13-2023, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmanng View Post
38???? that is NOTHING those numbers are wrong btw
Reading matters.

"Currently on one web site alone"
Old 06-13-2023, 04:19 PM

Thank you all so much for all your input! I am not in a place to purchase yet, but I was trying to see if we could rent the majority of winter months while still staying for a few different weeks throughout winter. Seems that more people think long term rental would be best. I will continue to do more research! We owned a rental property near Disney and that was pretty over saturated, but we rented well and broke even. I wouldn’t be looking to make a huge profit. Just wanted to rent to offset costs for the time being until retirement.
Old 06-13-2023, 05:18 PM
Default Federal ADA Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
But you (the tenant) have to have proof that you (the tenant) are disabled and in need of a service animal. No, there is no official documentation for the animal. But there is official documentation to prove that yes, a disabled person really is renting and occupying this rental property.

If YOU are not disabled, then YOU don't need a service animal and therefore they can refuse to allow the animal to live in the unit.

I hope to provide some assistance or clarity in this issue.
I offer the information based on working for over 10 years in ADA Compliance in CALIFORNIA, where the laws are sometimes more strict than federal laws; I was required to know the difference.

Below are the applicable federal requirements and helpful(?) notes:

Disabled people are not required to disclose their disability. You cannot make disabled people tell you they are disabled, nor can you make them tell you what their disability is; they have the right to keep this private. This applies to employment, HOUSING, transportation, education, and other areas of life. That is federal law.

Florida law is permitted to be more strict AS TO the disabled person's RIGHTS than federal law, but it must at minimum meet federal requirements pertaining to a disabled person's rights.

To qualify, a service animal must be individually TRAINED to provide a SERVICE to a disabled person. That is federal law.

(Because training can vary greatly from state to state or area to area, and because a person can, indeed, train their own service animal, there is no way to "certify" across the country that any particular training standard has been met. This is unlikely to change and therefore, training must be regarded as being responsive to the disabled person's needs, rather than to a "detached" and varying standard.)

You may ask one or two tasks the service animal is TRAINED to do (a task does not have to identify what disability the person has), but you may not require performance of the task, nor any proof of training, service animal identification, animal vest, tag, or any other training proof. That is federal law.

An emotional support animal or psychiatric support animal is NOT the same as a service animal. That is federal law.

It really is that simple. That's also why it can be so problematic.

People skirting the law by claiming their pet or emotional support animal is a service animal, and who demand the same legal considerations, are the sorts of people who will probably lie or cheat about other issues. These sorts of people have also made it very difficult for genuinely disabled people to be treated fairly and with respect. SHAME on them! (Those are just my personal opinions.)

>SIGH< Such is human nature. Believe me, if it happens in Florida, it happened in California, in spades. And I was required to deal with the legal issues in my professional capacity.

G-d bless you all with good health and good tenants.
Old 06-13-2023, 10:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,551 Times in 3,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricey View Post
I hope to provide some assistance or clarity in this issue.
I offer the information based on working for over 10 years in ADA Compliance in CALIFORNIA, where the laws are sometimes more strict than federal laws; I was required to know the difference.

Below are the applicable federal requirements and helpful(?) notes:

Disabled people are not required to disclose their disability. You cannot make disabled people tell you they are disabled, nor can you make them tell you what their disability is; they have the right to keep this private. This applies to employment, HOUSING, transportation, education, and other areas of life. That is federal law.

>SIGH< Such is human nature. Believe me, if it happens in Florida, it happened in California, in spades. And I was required to deal with the legal issues in my professional capacity.

G-d bless you all with good health and good tenants.
Again - this is incorrect. You can find the correct information on the government websites. Here is a summary of the information, found on the ADA Network organization's website (this is a non-government site that exists to support people seeking information about the ADA):

Quote:
What rights do housing providers and other covered entities have?
When an individual with a disability requests a reasonable accommodation, housing providers and other covered entities have the right to obtain information to determine if the requested reasonable accommodation is necessary because of a disability. When an individual with a disability requests an assistance animal be allowed as a reasonable accommodation, a housing provider can ask the individual to provide documentation so that the covered entity can properly review the accommodation request. If the individual’s disability and the need for the requested accommodation are both obvious, then the covered entity may not request additional information.
Basically - you can say "no pets allowed" in your home. But if someone says "this is not a pet, it's a service animal" you HAVE THE RIGHT to ask the tenant if the tenant has a disability that requires the use of a service animal. If he says yes, you ALSO have the right to require documentation to prove that he has such a disability that requires the use of a service animal. If he provides you with this information, then you must accommodate him with allowing him and his service animal to rent (assuming he is otherwise a qualified candidate for tenancy).
Old 06-14-2023, 08:06 AM

dont do it
Old 06-14-2023, 11:14 AM
Veteran member

The topic of rentals is very volatile at the moment and some districts may be pressured to reel in short-term rentals.

Also, keep in mind you’re not going to be welcomed with open arms by neighbors if you rent to some bad tenants.

I just don't see this whole rental thing continuing the way it is and anticipate some changes.

Proceed at your own risk.
Old 06-14-2023, 01:44 PM

One of the issues I haven't seen mentioned yet is insurance coverage on rentals. We had a dozen rentals up north and if our properties were vacant for more than 30 days, we had to switch insurance coverage to a different, much more expensive policy after 30 days of vacancy . The cost was $4k for 6 mos. coverage vs $1k/yr for a regular policy.
Without that upgrade, our insurance would be null/void if there was an issue (fire, theft, etc) and YES, the insurance companies do find out. We had one of our college rental houses robbed during the Christmas vacation holiday on day #35 of it being vacant but rented. The kids went home for Christmas break in early December and the house was robbed in mid-January.
The thieves broke in and stole TV's and all the copper pipes in the house (hot water baseboard heating). If we hadn't obtained the more expensive policy, we would not have been covered for the $21k in damages.
Old 06-15-2023, 05:09 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 544 Posts
Default Short Term Rentals

If you count on short term rentals STR to supplement income, I wouldn’t. Todays news paper had yet another incident with…

20-year-old arrested after alleged attack at airbnb rental in The Villages

https://www.**************.com/2023/...-the-villages/

Rentals will likely be getting a remake shortly. Businesses can’t operate from residential homes here in The Villages. All homes are zoned residential. In the state of Florida a “tenant “ changes from”customer” status to tenant after 10 days. If you rent, contracts are typically signed and funds are transferred leaving a perfect trail for opera business.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 06-15-2023, 07:32 AM

Good Luck. There are lots of opinions. We have recently had 2 homes sell and are AIRBNB rentals. Bad News. Multiple renters and cars coming and going all the time. A friend has a rental business with over 200 rentals and business has slowed significantly. Too many homes.
The last thing I will say is renters say they don’t have and dog and you go over for some reason, and guess what? There is a dog or 2.
Again. We have been here 20 years. Seen it all. Good Luck
Old 06-15-2023, 07:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Businesses can’t operate from residential homes here in The Villages. All homes are zoned residential.
It's clearly stated that you can't operate a business that involves keeping inventory on site or customers visiting your home. It appears obvious that the intent is to prevent people from regularly selling stuff out of their home.

Considering The Villages makes some of their money from renting homes (Lifestyle Visits), I don't believe that renting your home out for a couple of months is considered operating a business under their own definition at least..
Old 06-16-2023, 06:08 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 544 Posts
Default Misinterpreting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
It's clearly stated that you can't operate a business that involves keeping inventory on site or customers visiting your home. It appears obvious that the intent is to prevent people from regularly selling stuff out of their home.

Considering The Villages makes some of their money from renting homes (Lifestyle Visits), I don't believe that renting your home out for a couple of months is considered operating a business under their own definition at least..
The Villages doesn’t have a signed contract by a buyer before their renting or selling which is their business to begin with. The first contract is initiated after a sale to a private party.

In other words, they are exempt because nothing exists yet.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Closed Thread

Tags
rentals, rent, feel, market, saturated

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.