An Inquiry about Family Life

Closed Thread
Old 06-07-2022, 08:26 PM
Default An Inquiry about Family Life

Greetings to all. It’s been a while since I’ve checked in last. But I have a question to ask. But first, our update..

After going through a LOT of “ups and downs” in the market, as well as finding a home, my partner Pat and I finally closed in on a home we really wanted to get. We almost had a home previously, but to make a very long story short that will be discussed later in another separate entry, we were not able to get it as we had thought. But through the grace of our real estate agent, we succeeded in finding the home we desired to live in for the rest of our existence!

Now to my question addressed to all...

As a couple over the age of sixty, we had discovered that we are of a couple that never had kids. This means that there are no kids of adult age within our family, which means that we do not have any grandkids. And from what I understand and according to information recently released by the US Census Bureau, only 20% of married couples age sixty and up are childless. And when I state “childless”, this means that kids were never part of the married couple’s family. In addition, my partner is an only child, while I have two siblings that never married (their choice) and thus, never had kids on their own! (No nieces and nephews within our immediate family either!!)

Are their any couples out there within The Villages who were always childless? Are we one of the few couples that never had kids/grandkids within our domain, and will never have kids/grandkids?

We stated what we wanted to express. Now you have the floor....
Old 06-07-2022, 09:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,162 Times in 834 Posts

Congratulations
Who the hell would want to expose kids/grandkids into a world it is today.
We have one adopted son and daughter-in-law with no kids and I must say we're glad of it.

God bless the family's with young children and I hope they live long enough to live into old age.
Old 06-08-2022, 05:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Congratulations
Who the hell would want to expose kids/grandkids into a world it is today.
We have one adopted son and daughter-in-law with no kids and I must say we're glad of it.

God bless the family's with young children and I hope they live long enough to live into old age.
I have a stepson, step grandson, son and first grandson in the oven popping out in September. I agree with you on your statement but here we go. Sure hope the baby formula crisis is over soon. Also thinking that boy will be getting homeschooled
Old 06-08-2022, 06:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,725 Times in 983 Posts

First of all, congratulations on finding your home.
To answer your two questions:
Yes, of course there are others who are childless and hence grandchildless.

Not much in TV revolves around children and grandchildren. When you go to the square, or golf, or do whatever it is you do for activities and enjoyment in TV, whether or not the people around you have progeny won't matter much. Others may occasionally be unavailable because they are traveling or having visitors, but other than that, it won't matter.
We're all old. Not many of us have kids living with us.
I have played golf with guys for a few years, and only recently found out they do, or do not have kids. Never mattered, other than once in a while someone will say something like "I'm out next week. Kids are coming to visit"...that's about the extent of it.

Do you have a concern about this?
Old 06-08-2022, 06:24 AM

I echo your thoughts...for the original poster, if he/she is keeping statistics.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,428 Posts

How is Terry doing?
Old 06-08-2022, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,692 Times in 3,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyPye View Post
Greetings to all. It’s been a while since I’ve checked in last. But I have a question to ask. But first, our update..

After going through a LOT of “ups and downs” in the market, as well as finding a home, my partner Pat and I finally closed in on a home we really wanted to get. We almost had a home previously, but to make a very long story short that will be discussed later in another separate entry, we were not able to get it as we had thought. But through the grace of our real estate agent, we succeeded in finding the home we desired to live in for the rest of our existence!

As a couple over the age of sixty, we had discovered that we are of a couple that never had kids. This means that there are no kids of adult age within our family, which means that we do not have any grandkids. And from what I understand and according to information recently released by the US Census Bureau, only 20% of married couples age sixty and up are childless. And when I state “childless”, this means that kids were never part of the married couple’s family. In addition, my partner is an only child, while I have two siblings that never married (their choice) and thus, never had kids on their own! (No nieces and nephews within our immediate family either!!)

Are their any couples out there within The Villages who were always childless? Are we one of the few couples that never had kids/grandkids within our domain, and will never have kids/grandkids?

100% child-free here. No grands, no kids. My husband has a niece but she's a married 40-something with no kids of her own and a business to run, so again, no "kids" in our family. Tons of cousins with kids and grands but they tend to do the "family with kids" stuff up north, I've never met any of the grands, and only know a very few of the second cousins or the "twice removed" folks.

My spouse and I never wanted them, my sister wanted but circumstances led to her being without. I think she misses it. I don't.

The upside, is I don't have to really care who gets the estate when I'm gone. Sister will take anything not nailed down, hubby gets the financials, probate can have the rest for all I'll care while I'm ashes in a jar.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,476 Posts

Your choice of course but we love our kids and our grandkids and cannot imagine not having them in our life.
Old 06-08-2022, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,296 Times in 2,842 Posts

Consider yourself lucky in one way. We have more kids in our family than I can keep track of, and at least one of them seems to have a friggin birthday every month of the year. It’s like pulling teeth to get my wife to miss any birthday party or other family gathering. The kid thing makes it very difficult for us to spend extended periods of time at our Villages home. Why can’t we see them over the Fourth of July weekend and during the Christmas holidays and call that good enough?
Old 06-08-2022, 03:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

No children or grandchildren, and we are very happy.
Old 06-08-2022, 04:34 PM

I chose not to have kids. Don't have the Mommy gene. I have never once been sorry for my choice. I really think ALOT of people regret their choice to have kids. Of course they will never admit it. Having kids TOTALLY changes your life. Thank God for the pill and tubal ligations. I gave myself one for my 31st birthday
Old 06-08-2022, 04:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:

We can't possibly offer any useful advice. A will will direct where you wish whatever you have to go to. Without a will, it goes to your closest heir. If, you prepare a will, money well spent you can be sure your spouse is taken care of. You can leave any remainder to a charity. There is no shortage of people who will be glad to take your money some honest, some not.
Old 06-08-2022, 04:40 PM

I'm racking my head to think if someone having kids has even been mentioned in passing by anyone I met in the past few years. Lots of folks have had "family coming into town", but that could literally be any relative. In my opinion, if talking about your kids is a reoccurring topic of conversation and you are more than 55+, you need a few more hobbies!
Old 06-09-2022, 05:29 AM
Veteran member

no immediate family, that is fine. But, you must have a trust here in Florida, not just a will. Now is the time, before you need one. You call Pat your partner. Not married? Protect your assets....both of you.
Old 06-09-2022, 05:41 AM
Default Also childless

Quote:

My husband and I are also childless by choice. We have actually met quite a few other couples that are childless also. The subject doesn’t really come up very often. There are always some that like to talk about kids and grandkids but not the majority.
Closed Thread

Tags
home, kids, family, age, means

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.