Inspection of chatters previous posts....?

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2014, 08:46 AM
Gold member
Default Inspection of chatters previous posts....?

I have noticed when some chatters do not like other chatters opinions they state that "I looked at your previous posts and you........"

I never would of thought to look up there information and read all their previous messages. Why would you do that?..... How would that pertain to the conversation you are involved with at the time.....

I have seen this a number of times and it has been done to me several times.....

I mean really..... seems like they are just gaining ammo......I just hate that...
Old 10-18-2014, 09:00 AM
Veteran member

I've never looked up someone's previous posts to "gather ammo" although I have seen it done. I have looked at someone's previous posts to get a better idea of what kind of person they are, particularly if it is someone with whom I feel a lot of commonalities. Also, if someone posts something I think is pretty darned mean or odd, I'll look at their other posts to see if it is a "one-off." We all occasionally say something out of character, and looking at past posts gives me more context. I liken it to using Google to find out more about a dating interest.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 10-18-2014, 09:29 AM
Sage

Old 10-18-2014, 09:53 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

kstew43 - We all put our posts out there and expect that they will be read...what difference does it make when they are read? I have read other posters prior writings in order to get a better perspective and understanding of where their posting/opinions come from and just might help me better phrase one of my response posts...is that what you consider ammo?

Old 10-18-2014, 09:54 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
I have noticed when some chatters do not like other chatters opinions they state that "I looked at your previous posts and you........"

I never would of thought to look up there information and read all their previous messages. Why would you do that?..... How would that pertain to the conversation you are involved with at the time.....

I have seen this a number of times and it has been done to me several times.....

I mean really..... seems like they are just gaining ammo......I just hate that...
Playing amateur psychologist/psychiatrist, too, writing their lofty psychoanalysis about the person.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Good luck with reading all my previous posts. I think you can only get at a small number of them. 300 or so out of 13,715. You can find older but have to search for subjects.

I do look at other people's older posts to see the context of whatever someone is writing. I had a cybersmearer/stalker for almost five years on Findlaw's boards (2002-2007) so I am still on the lookout for this man. My guess is that he was punished severely for this stalking probably for targeting someone with more political pull than I have. So, I like to get an idea about who is answering my posts just in case I might be kicking a hornet's nest AGAIN. So, now, if I start seeing a lot of stinging from one poster against me, I just ignore that person. Thank God for the Ignore List feature on TOTV.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:06 AM
Sage
Too bad there's not a truth-o-meter next to every post.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:09 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post

I am going to look @ your past posts and see if you have ever done that.
Or anything else I do not like.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 10-18-2014, 10:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Too bad there's not a truth-o-meter next to every post.
I would like that feature too but it does make stuff interesting to figure out how factual statements are. You can also Google a lot of stuff which I do frequently.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:17 AM
Platinum member

I will check posters previous posts as well if they post something very unusual....just to see if they are normally 1 can short of a 6 pack.

I read all of Gracie's posts ....it took me 15 months......
Old 10-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
I will check posters previous posts as well if they post something very unusual....just to see if they are normally 1 can short of a 6 pack.

"One can short of a 6-pack"……Good one!
Old 10-18-2014, 10:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post

I have read a lot of Gracie's posts too so I could find a way to catch back up with her in post count. I just gave up though on that mission. I do read a lot of the regular posters stuff. Really miss some of the regular posters who were on here so much in 2007 and 2008. They must have found other outlets and some have passed.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:48 AM
Platinum member

Who is Gracie ?
Is she a 5 pack ?

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 10-18-2014, 11:11 AM
Email Reported As Spam

The OP poses a good question. I must admit that only by accident I recently came by the procedure to get to one's past posts. I not sure i could get there again. When I did recognize it I was rather taken aback feeling kind of goulish about the whole thing. Never say never but I have never so far found any reason i wanted to go back on a poster's history of posts. Two obvious reason is to try and catch a poster in a lie and/or confound them with their own words.

I do not like playing that game. I see this forum as a method to exchange information and ideas on the subject at hand. I am not interested in one up-manship. I don't need to win. I need to understand and to learn
Old 10-18-2014, 12:19 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
The OP poses a good question. I must admit that only by accident I recently came by the procedure to get to one's past posts. I not sure i could get there again. When I did recognize it I was rather taken aback feeling kind of goulish about the whole thing. Never say never but I have never so far found any reason i wanted to go back on a poster's history of posts. Two obvious reason is to try and catch a poster in a lie and/or confound them with their own words.

I do not like playing that game. I see this forum as a method to exchange information and ideas on the subject at hand. I am not interested in one up-manship. I don't need to win. I need to understand and to learn
What a great post!! Truly in the spirit of what TOTV should be!

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.