Install (Bolt Down) a Small Safe in a Bedroom Closet

Old 04-02-2024, 08:52 AM

Rent a safe deposit box at a bank.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Possibly, but it would not know the difference between metal screening (6" by 6" or so) from 1/2 inch rebar, and I doubt it would be accurate enough. In any case since the op mentioned screws less than 2 inches they will probably not hit anything.
Not hold anything down either.
Old 04-02-2024, 11:35 AM
Default Safe

[I have a safe in my closet. I could have bolted it down, but it weighs over 100 lbs and I didn't think it was necessary. I just put things in front of it, so it's not visible.

QUOTE=McClendons;2317485]I have a new constuction house in the Village of Lake Denham. I am hoping to bolt down a small Sentry safe in the one of the bedrooms using something like Red Hat fastners or Tapicon bolts. In researching, I ran across a couple of questions I am hoping someone will have insight on.

Does anyone know if the Villages uses normal rebar based concrete slabs, or have they gone to Post Tensioned Concrete? Clearly it would be a disaster to drill into an Pre Tensioned cable, so am very concerned there. I would only need to drill at most 1.5 to 2 inches deep, so not too worried about plumbing etc that should be deeper, but from research it looks like tension cables can be any depth.

For anyone that has installed a safe, any insights on where and how you intstalled yours? I tried searching, but using the word "safe" got me anything from AEDs, golf cars, restaurants, etc. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-02-2024, 01:12 PM

I don't know the size of the safe you plan to install. However, any safe installed on the floor will be very inconvenient. Also, it would be fairly easy to break it free from the concrete with a crowbar--once you move a lag bolt set in concrete a fraction of an inch, it breaks free from the concrete. Hitting the safe on the side with a sledge hammer would also break it free from the floor.

If you're installing a small safe such as the Sentry .58 cu ft or the .98 cu ft models, consider what I did in our house up north. I installed it in a closet on a shelf with the safe tight in the corner against two walls with studs. You can then screw lag bolts into the wall studs on two sides and bolt it to the shelf using carriage bolts with the round head on the bottom of the shelf and the nut inside the safe.

A determined thief will be able to remove the safe; however, it would require a lot of work and a reciprocating saw to cut through a double stud at the corner and the shelf. As was mentioned by the former locksmith in one of the replies, these small safes can be opened with a can opener (not really). Probably, it would be easier to cut into the safe with a reciprocating saw than to cut through a double stud and the shelf.

For a secure home safe, you would have to go to your garage and have a contractor cut a large hole through the concrete floor and then set a high quality floor safe in new concrete. If you have jewelry and important papers etc that are so valuable that you need a safe of that quality, you would be better off renting a safe deposit box at a bank.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:13 PM

Thanks to those that gave some good insightful ideas! Yes, I know the small safes are not foolproof, but will slow an average Joe crook down a little. If I used the logic of some, I would not lock front doors, cars doors etc ---they are all easy to get into.........I am looking to make it a little harder.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClendons View Post
I have a new constuction house in the Village of Lake Denham. I am hoping to bolt down a small Sentry safe in the one of the bedrooms using something like Red Hat fastners or Tapicon bolts. In researching, I ran across a couple of questions I am hoping someone will have insight on.

Does anyone know if the Villages uses normal rebar based concrete slabs, or have they gone to Post Tensioned Concrete? Clearly it would be a disaster to drill into an Pre Tensioned cable, so am very concerned there. I would only need to drill at most 1.5 to 2 inches deep, so not too worried about plumbing etc that should be deeper, but from research it looks like tension cables can be any depth.

For anyone that has installed a safe, any insights on where and how you intstalled yours? I tried searching, but using the word "safe" got me anything from AEDs, golf cars, restaurants, etc. Thanks in advance.
I am sure you will be fine. But personally, posting that you are adding a safe to your home on an open site, (here, FB, or any other ) may not be the best thing to do. Anyone can see what "you " intend to do and also know it isn't done yet.

Better to be over cautious than not. For sure you are not in your prime for defending yourself, you live in TV.

Good luck.

Tags
safe, concrete, tensioned, bolt, hoping

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.