Instant Hot Water Recirculating System

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2014, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,929 Posts
Question Instant Hot Water Recirculating System

Does anyone have an instant hot water recirulating systems installed on your hot water heater? Just wondering how much quicker we can expect hot water to reach the furthest faucet/shower from the hot water heater. I would also like to know how much additional cost there is to operate the system when it is set to "ON". According to what I have read, the "ON" setting provides faster hot water to all faucets/showers 24 hours a day. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Does anyone have an instant hot water recirulating systems installed on your hot water heater? Just wondering how much quicker we can expect hot water to reach the furthest faucet/shower from the hot water heater. I would also like to know how much additional cost there is to operate the system when it is set to "ON". According to what I have read, the "ON" setting provides faster hot water to all faucets/showers 24 hours a day. Thanks.
Ours does not provide instant hot water to all faucets, just the one in the master bath which is furthest from the water heater. When the recirculator is off, it takes a minute or more to get hot water to the shower and master bath faucets. With it on, it takes a few seconds. Other faucets in the house take about 20 seconds or less depending on distance from master bath or water heater which is half the time with the recirculator off.

Don't know how much electric the recirculator uses but should not be much. Ours has a timer and we only set it for the hours in the morning and evening when we need it most.

See these posts for more info: Hot water circulating pump
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:54 PM
Default Hot water recirculating pump

Go with the ACT D'mand pump. It is the best out there. Go to www needhotwater com to get more information. It is on-demand so is activated by a button, which makes the pump the most energy efficient system out there. Timers will continuously activate the pump during a set time and most people later find that they don't have a set schedule for hot water need so they turn the pump on for most of the day. Also, many forget to turn off their pump when they go on an extended vacation. Because it's on-demand, it is the only pump that does not void tankless water heater warranties.

The DOE confirmed that it costs on average $1 in electricity to run per year. It is recommended to be installed under the furthest sink from the water heater or wherever hot water is needed most often. Usually, it is the kitchen or master bath. It uses the existing plumbing, but can also be used with a dedicated return line. It is easy to install (unless you need to have an outlet installed under the sink).

There is a remote/transmitter option that is nice if the pump is, for example, downstairs in the kitchen but you are upstairs going to take a shower. Many people like the remote even if it's in their master bath. They can be waking up and hitting the button from bed so by the time they get to the bathroom to shower, the water is hot.

The pump usually cuts down about 2/3 of the wait time to get hot water.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:28 PM
Default Pump

Quote:
Ours allows for hot water within 6 seconds at all faucets. This is our second system we have had in our 3 homes in TV.

Mallory Square, Village of Hadley and now Gilchrist!
Old 01-23-2014, 07:41 PM
Sage

Thanks for your quick responses. Hubby and I decided to have the circulator installed and plan to have it on all the time to provide hot water to all faucets 24 hours a day.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:21 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt and Gail View Post
Ours allows for hot water within 6 seconds at all faucets. This is our second system we have had in our 3 homes in TV.
Could you give an estimated cost?
Old 01-23-2014, 09:36 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

I am told that Mike Scott Plumbing installs these for between $375 and $425. The two major brands are Grundflos and Watts.

Frank
Old 01-24-2014, 07:21 AM

Excellent thread, I have a Courtyard Villa and have an ongoing problem with getting hot water to every outlet. Is it possible to install this pump in a Courtyard Villa, and if so which Contractor did you use.

Thank You so much, again an excellent thread.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt and Gail View Post
Can you please tell us the brand name of the unit you have and who you had install it.
Thanks.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:10 PM
Sage

We had Tim Herndon Plumbing install the Watts pump. Tim supplied the pump and he installed the adapter under the kitchen sink and in the guest bathroom which is the furthest from the hot water heater. We have the pump set to "ON" all the time. What a pleasure to have hot water quickly now to the plumbing furthest from the hot water heater.

Before the pump was installed, I timed how long it took to get warm water (not even hot) from the faucet furthest from the hot water heater and it took one minute. After about a minute an a half, the water would begin to get hot. Now, with the adapter on the supply line to this bathroom, we have warm water right away and hot water within ten seconds. We have the same effect in the kitchen.

We were told by Tim the plumber that the system can handle up to three adapters. In our home, the Somerset model, we need only two adapters. The plumbing fixtures closer to the hot water heater have hot water quick enough not to need an adapter.

Very glad we made the decision to have the Watts circulator pump installed.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
We had Tim Herndon Plumbing install the Watts pump. Tim supplied the pump and he installed the adapter under the kitchen sink and in the guest bathroom which is the furthest from the hot water heater. We have the pump set to "ON" all the time. What a pleasure to have hot water quickly now to the plumbing furthest from the hot water heater.

Before the pump was installed, I timed how long it took to get warm water (not even hot) from the faucet furthest from the hot water heater and it took one minute. After about a minute an a half, the water would begin to get hot. Now, with the adapter on the supply line to this bathroom, we have warm water right away and hot water within ten seconds. We have the same effect in the kitchen.

We were told by Tim the plumber that the system can handle up to three adapters. In our home, the Somerset model, we need only two adapters. The plumbing fixtures closer to the hot water heater have hot water quick enough not to need an adapter.

Very glad we made the decision to have the Watts circulator pump installed.
Can you furnish the Plummer that you used phone number Thank you
Old 02-08-2014, 09:32 AM

For those of you who have added these pumps, have you seen an increase in the electric or gas usage above the electric for the pump. I would think since some of you are leaving it on all the time, the tank itself will be cycling on more often in order to keep the water in the supply lines hot. Trying to get an idea of the total overall cost of operation. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2014, 09:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfjr View Post
For those of you who have added these pumps, have you seen an increase in the electric or gas usage above the electric for the pump. I would think since some of you are leaving it on all the time, the tank itself will be cycling on more often in order to keep the water in the supply lines hot. Trying to get an idea of the total overall cost of operation. Thanks!
There has to be an increase in electric use beyond the pump usage because you are essentially constantly losing heat energy through all the pipe the hot water is circulating in. Since most houses have cement floors you will be heating the cement floor the pipe is running through similar to in floor heating that is installed up north. I know this is a stretch but it will to some extent heat that part of your house and consequently increase your cooling bills. You can buy a lot of water for the install fee and increased electric costs. Just saying.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:37 PM
Gold member

JP is correct, there is no savings circulating hot water though cement and mother earth. The hotter the water that is recirculating the more energy you loss. But it is convenient.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.