Insurance for Old Car?

Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Default Insurance for Old Car?

First off, thank you to all that responded to my last message requesting information regarding the Auto-Train. I learned a lot of good information and have since booked a reservation for November 9th. I'm looking forward to the trip. I haven't reserved a roomette just yet but I may do so after reading some of the comments. Currently I am reserved on the lower level. There are also some pretty good videos of the train on YouTube.

That brings up another issue. The car that I'm bringing down is a 1986 Pontiac Grand Prix. We've owned it since new and it only has 34,000 miles on it. We only drove it for a few years and never in the winter and only barely in the rain. The car is in brand-new, mint condition - totally original (even the tires which are being replaced now in order to make the trip). I have had the car insured on an antique car insurance policy for about the past 12 years which covers it at an appraised value. However by doing so I can only drive it to car shows, club activities, etc. I informed the insurance company that I am moving the car from NY to TV and they didn't have a problem with that. Problem is once I get it to FL I intend to use it as a "daily driver" although it won't be driven very much. After all these years we would like to enjoy driving the car again and we can't think of a better place to do it.

The classic insurance company told me that the car would absolutely not be covered as a daily driver and they have no program that would do so. I checked with other classic insurers (Haggerty, JC Taylor, etc.) with the same results. I have checked with several auto insurance companies in FL to find if they provided policies for appraised or stated values. The Blue Book on a 1986 Pontiac is probably pretty low. If something were to happen to the car I'd be pretty much out of luck. So far I haven't been able to find an insurer that provides such coverage although they all seem to think it may be available - "we just don't provide it" is the common response. I'm sure that I am not the first one in TV to be doing this. Can anyone provide the name of an insurance agent that might provide appraised value coverage?

Thank you for your help (again)!

july-photos-003-jpg
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.