An Interesting History of The Villages, circa 1995

Old 05-19-2024, 10:01 AM

We had the pleasure of meeting and dining with Harold Schwartz in 1991 at the then Hacienda Hills Country Club restaurant. He was a delight even though he did suggest that we put our 8 and 10 year old boys in a Military school so that we could move here. He was always a "salesman". We did move here 10 years later when the boys were in University and we were 45 and 51. Best move of our lives. We are still loving living here 23 years later. He and his son Gary Morse had a vision for the Villages and we should all be thankful to them for our wonderful lifestyle. Good job.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
(Came across this and thought it might be of interest.)

THE HISTORY OF THE VILLAGES

By Earl Rowlette
Chairman of the Historical Society
(Based on research and interviews, circa 1995)

The Villages History – circa 1995 – Aberdeen South Social Group
Fascinating. I wasn't aware of the very early history of The Villages. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,429 Times in 2,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
Interesting. A lot of people revere Harold Schwartz, but mail-order Florida real estate was a recipe for rip-offs, as writers like Carl Hiassen and John D. McDonald showed. And Mexican radio stations? And Las Vegas? Not that he ever did anything crooked. I think Gary Morse and his wife and children deserve a huge amount of credit for making sure The Villages would look classy instead of like a big trailer court with a golf course. Now we can brag about living here, heads held high, instead of being embarrassed. Well done!
In my opinion this was not necessary.
Old 05-19-2024, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,924 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
Interesting. A lot of people revere Harold Schwartz, but mail-order Florida real estate was a recipe for rip-offs, as writers like Carl Hiassen and John D. McDonald showed. And Mexican radio stations? And Las Vegas? Not that he ever did anything crooked. I think Gary Morse and his wife and children deserve a huge amount of credit for making sure The Villages would look classy instead of like a big trailer court with a golf course. Now we can brag about living here, heads held high, instead of being embarrassed. Well done!
I really, really agree.
Old 05-19-2024, 06:43 PM
Default Thank you for sharing this.

Very interesting. And it help me understand how The Villages got to be like it is today.
Old 05-19-2024, 07:25 PM
Gold member

My understanding of Villages history.....there is no Morse success without Mr. Schwartz foundation. The trailer park was the flagship at a time when that was the trend. I’m impressed by the whole journey by all involved in it....
Old 05-21-2024, 05:30 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,136 Times in 1,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagesgal View Post
We had the pleasure of meeting and dining with Harold Schwartz in 1991 at the then Hacienda Hills Country Club restaurant. He was a delight even though he did suggest that we put our 8 and 10 year old boys in a Military school so that we could move here. He was always a "salesman". We did move here 10 years later when the boys were in University and we were 45 and 51. Best move of our lives. We are still loving living here 23 years later. He and his son Gary Morse had a vision for the Villages and we should all be thankful to them for our wonderful lifestyle. Good job.
Thank goodness for Mr. Schwartz and Mr. Morris.

Tags
history, villages, circa, based, research

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.