Interesting MMP Observation

Old 01-13-2024, 10:58 AM
Default Interesting MMP Observation

My husband & I have noticed something when walking on multi-modal paths.

First off I'll mention that we always walk on the left side (ie, into traffic), and that our observation only applies if there are no carts coming from behind us (fyi, if there are carts coming from both directions at the same time, we simply step off the path onto the grass, ceding the right of way).

So, when there is a cart coming at us (and no other carts, bikes, or walkers anywhere around), our observation is this: When MEN are driving the oncoming cart, they pull way over to their left, giving us wide berth which provides us with a comfortable safety buffer. On the other hand, WOMEN do not do this and instead (inexplicably) generally hold to their current lane on the right side of the path.

Suffice to say we don't understand this phenomenon, and if anyone does, we'd love to hear the reasoning. But in any case, we walkers would like to thank those cart drivers who swing wide left when approaching walkers, and we'd like to ask more (all) of you to please do the same (when you can). Thank you.

Old 01-13-2024, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Looking forward to the responses.😆

Old 01-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

I don't drive a golf cart, but, on the roads, I always give pedestrians, bikes, and golf carts as much space as possible, even if I need to cross the centerline, which is sometimes illegal. To me, it is just common sense. Maybe men are more likely to break rules if it increases safety.

Old 01-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

The entitlement mentality knows no gender.

Old 01-13-2024, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,169 Times in 1,930 Posts

I am editing my original post in this thread as it has caused such an uproar. I misspoke and I apologize. I always swing wide to avoid a pedestrian on a MMP but that is not what I said in my original post. My original words on this thread have been quoted so many times, I lost count as I read the responses. I realize now that what I said was not the way to go about my intention of relaying how dangerous these MMPs are.

Stay safe out there.

Last edited by coffeebean; 01-17-2024 at 06:51 AM.

Old 01-13-2024, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Yup......I'm a woman and will always stay in my lane. I never swing wide on any road unless I'm about to hit an obstacle. Walkers should be the ones who yield to any moving vehicle.

I also never go over the center line when driving an automobile. That is dangerous. I will never understand why drivers move to the left of the center line when a golf cart is coming up on their right in the MMP. There is room for both of you unless you are driving a huge truck with a wide load.
Well there ya go asked and answered. If you as a walker or runner, be very afraid this would be a direct admission if you as human don’t move off the path, this moving vehicle, will not swing wide, unless you are about to become a victim. Isn’t the MMP designed for all.

In my own mind I can’t ever put another human in harms way, would always make sure their space was safe for them. But 45 plus years of working trauma,

Do No Harm was what we live by

Last edited by asianthree; 01-13-2024 at 12:58 PM.

Old 01-13-2024, 12:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

I make sure there is at least three feet of separation between my vehicle and anything I encounter in my lane. Pass a bicycle - at least 3 feet. Pass a car - use another lane. Pass a stopped delivery truck - at least 3 feet. Encounter a pedestrian - at least 3 feet. This is required by law for bicycles (316.083(2) & (3)) and is just a good way to stay safe for everything else.

Usually, this means I will need to cross the center line at least part way. If that is not safe (poor visibility, oncoming vehicles) then it is simple: just wait. The law explicitly allows this in non-passing zones when avoiding obstructions (316.0875(3)(a)) and passing a bicycle (316.0875(3)(c)).

I use the same practices when avoiding pedestrians, bicycles, and other obstructions when driving a golf cart.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 01-13-2024 at 12:59 PM.

Old 01-13-2024, 12:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Yup......I'm a woman and will always stay in my lane. I never swing wide on any road unless I'm about to hit an obstacle. Walkers should be the ones who yield to any moving vehicle.

I also never go over the center line when driving an automobile. That is dangerous. I will never understand why drivers move to the left of the center line when a golf cart is coming up on their right in the MMP. There is room for both of you unless you are driving a huge truck with a wide load.
I totally disagree with this (though gender has nothing to do with it). First, I've not seen dividers on MMP. But as the driver of a heavy vehicle you have a responsibility make way for the pedestrian. If they have to move on to grass or some other place there is a tripping hazard. Not only that, even if there is space, one slip of your hand and you bang into the walker. It makes no sense to not move wide of a pedestrian. And as mentioned, driving on a road you are likely required by law to move left of the center line. I believe it's 4 feet for bikes and I assume same for walkers.

Old 01-13-2024, 01:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
I totally disagree with this (though gender has nothing to do with it). First, I've not seen dividers on MMP. But as the driver of a heavy vehicle you have a responsibility make way for the pedestrian. If they have to move on to grass or some other place there is a tripping hazard. Not only that, even if there is space, one slip of your hand and you bang into the walker. It makes no sense to not move wide of a pedestrian. And as mentioned, driving on a road you are likely required by law to move left of the center line. I believe it's 4 feet for bikes and I assume same for walkers.
I always wonder why some seem to think that a vehicle has the right of way over a pedestrian when in most states the ped is assumed to have the right of way, this is due to the fact that in a collision the damage done to a vehicle will be relatively minor compared to the pedestrian, MMP multi modal path, pedestrian, pedalcyclist and golf cart, in order of right of way to protect the most vulnerable

Old 01-13-2024, 01:35 PM

Here's what we have observed. Every time we are in our golf cart one or more other carts will tailgate us- with some carts aggressively close. When they finally do go past us 90% have golf clubs on the back. When someone fails to yield for us in a round-about 90% have golf clubs in the back. We always maintain a 20 MPH speed, unless someone is behind us- then we up it to it's top speed of 21 or 22. I think the friendly people in The Villages are much friendlier than elsewhere. I also think the card-carrying assh0les in The Villages are much worse than elsewhere- with golfers being the worst. I understand that I can't draw a conclusion- I can only report my experience. Don't bother saying you are a golfer and don't act that way- I get it- you are in the 10%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladys Turnip View Post
My husband & I have noticed something when walking on multi-modal paths.

First off I'll mention that we always walk on the left side (ie, into traffic), and that our observation only applies if there are no carts coming from behind us (fyi, if there are carts coming from both directions at the same time, we simply step off the path onto the grass, ceding the right of way).

So, when there is a cart coming at us (and no other carts, bikes, or walkers anywhere around), our observation is this: When MEN are driving the oncoming cart, they pull way over to their left, giving us wide berth which provides us with a comfortable safety buffer. On the other hand, WOMEN do not do this and instead (inexplicably) generally hold to their current lane on the right side of the path.

Suffice to say we don't understand this phenomenon, and if anyone does, we'd love to hear the reasoning. But in any case, we walkers would like to thank those cart drivers who swing wide left when approaching walkers, and we'd like to ask more (all) of you to please do the same (when you can). Thank you.

Old 01-13-2024, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

But! But!
It's ten points for splatting a walker on the MMP, and only five if you get them if they step onto the grass verge!

PS. For Bogie. Them & They = Walkers.

Old 01-13-2024, 02:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladys Turnip View Post
Suffice to say we don't understand this phenomenon.
So you do not understand what some old codgers do in The Villages. Join the club.

Don't even try to figure out what motivates other people. Just figure out what you want to do to SAFELY enjoy your life.

By the way, our idea of SAFETY is to never walk on an MMP.

Old 01-13-2024, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:

I disagree with your first paragraph. How did you pass your drivers test?

Old 01-13-2024, 02:24 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:

Response of the DECADE!

After reading the original post, I would have posted a response that acknowledged that it seems to be a "woman thing", damn the political correctness police. I have noticed it for 20 years, not just in TV and not just with golf carts.

As evidenced by the above response, it's an entitlement and stupidity thing, which seems to affect women more than men, particularly in The Villages.

A person who admits to such obvious stupidity and lack of concern for others, shouldn't be allowed out in public.

Old 01-13-2024, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Seems like if we ever meet on a trail, I'll have a sore arm, you'll have a broken mirror, I'll have a picture, and you'll have a lot of explaining to do.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Tags
left, cart, carts, coming, observation

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.