Interesting MMP Observation

Old 01-13-2024, 02:52 PM
Gold member

It appears we are in need of a "Good Driving School". The problem is that the poor drivers all are self-righteous about their poor skills. Nothing anyone can say sways them. Not posting applicable statutes, nothing. See earlier posts for evidence: roundabouts are just rounded 4 way intersections, driving in the left lane is how we roll, everyone else out there is an arse, now, giving a little space to pedestrians, golf carts or bikes is dangerous.
Old 01-13-2024, 02:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,539 Times in 3,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladys Turnip View Post
My husband & I have noticed something when walking on multi-modal paths.

First off I'll mention that we always walk on the left side (ie, into traffic), and that our observation only applies if there are no carts coming from behind us (fyi, if there are carts coming from both directions at the same time, we simply step off the path onto the grass, ceding the right of way).

So, when there is a cart coming at us (and no other carts, bikes, or walkers anywhere around), our observation is this: When MEN are driving the oncoming cart, they pull way over to their left, giving us wide berth which provides us with a comfortable safety buffer. On the other hand, WOMEN do not do this and instead (inexplicably) generally hold to their current lane on the right side of the path.

Suffice to say we don't understand this phenomenon, and if anyone does, we'd love to hear the reasoning. But in any case, we walkers would like to thank those cart drivers who swing wide left when approaching walkers, and we'd like to ask more (all) of you to please do the same (when you can). Thank you.
Because men tend to err on the side of "mine is bigger" including how far over into the opposite lane they can go, whenever they have the excuse to do so. Women are confident enough to know that they're not going to hit the pedestrian, and have no need to prove otherwise to anyone.

Edited to add: the question was why do men swing SO far out away from the pedestrian, while women don't. I do pull as far away from the edge of the path if there's an oncoming pedestrian, while still being on "my side of the path." There's room for both of us, no need for me to cross over into the side of oncoming traffic. Unless I'm a man, in which case I'll do it to prove that my swing is bigger.
Old 01-13-2024, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Well there ya go asked and answered. If you as a walker or runner, be very afraid this would be a direct admission if you as human don’t move off the path, this moving vehicle, will not swing wide, unless you are about to become a victim. Isn’t the MMP designed for all.

In my own mind I can’t ever put another human in harms way, would always make sure their space was safe for them. But 45 plus years of working trauma,

Do No Harm was what we live by
Walkers should yield. Period. What is so difficult about that? Smart walkers know they will not be the victor when confronted with a vehicle, be it a golf cart or an automobile.
Old 01-13-2024, 03:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I disagree with your first paragraph. How did you pass your drivers test?
Maybe I should revisit what I said........if a walker is walking on the right side and NOT facing the traffic then, of course, they cannot see me approaching them. Then, I WILL swing wide to avoid hitting them However, when a walker is walking facing the traffic and can see me approaching, they had better hop onto the grass and out of my way. Having said that, there have been times when a walker, facing the traffic, will play chicken and I will always give way to the stupid ones. Remember walkers........you will NOT be the victor when confronting a vehicle that will certainly hurt or kill you. Get our of the way!!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2024, 03:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Maybe I should revisit what I said........if a walker is walking on the right side and NOT facing the traffic then, of course, they cannot see me approaching them. Then, I WILL swing wide to avoid hitting them However, when a walker is walking facing the traffic and can see me approaching, they had better hop onto the grass and out of my way. Having said that, there have been times when a walker, facing the traffic, will play chicken and I will always give way to the stupid ones. Remember walkers........you will NOT be the victor when confronting a vehicle that will certainly hurt or kill you. Get our of the way!!!!!!!!
I think you are misunderstanding who is the “stupid one”.
Have you heard of Morgan & Morgan? Get a lawyer if they call…………
Old 01-13-2024, 03:30 PM
Sage

Do any of you recall when a pedestrian was killed by an automobile when said pedestrian was walking, facing the traffic in the MMV while walking right next to a side walk? Why didn't that pedestrian hop on the sidewalk to avoid getting hit by the golf cart? Anyone?????????
Old 01-13-2024, 03:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
You realize, of course, that you will go to jail for 2nd degree murder, or at least manslaughter, if you kill that walker. The pedestrian has the right of way. You have speed that the walker can't match. They should not have to step off the path. Only exception is 2 golf carts going opposite directions, and even then one of the golf carts should stop.

Good grief, imagine trying to take a walk and having to step off the path every time a golf cart comes by. That's just ridiculous. The cart can make room without hindering their travels at all. The walker cannot.
Old 01-13-2024, 03:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
You realize, of course, that you will go to jail for 2nd degree murder, or at least manslaughter, if you kill that walker. The pedestrian has the right of way. You have speed that the walker can't match. They should not have to step off the path. Only exception is 2 golf carts going opposite directions, and even then one of the golf carts should stop.

Good grief, imagine trying to take a walk and having to step off the path every time a golf cart comes by. That's just ridiculous. The cart can make room without hindering their travels at all. The walker cannot.
I have already said I would give way and avoid hitting a pedestrian. Did you read that part of my comments?

Here is more on this topic from a few years ago..........

Entitled walkers on paths
Old 01-13-2024, 03:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,666 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Walkers should yield. Period. What is so difficult about that? Smart walkers know they will not be the victor when confronted with a vehicle, be it a golf cart or an automobile.
WOW!!!!!!! Please stop driving!!!!!
Old 01-13-2024, 03:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Do any of you recall when a pedestrian was killed by an automobile when said pedestrian was walking, facing the traffic in the MMV while walking right next to a side walk? Why didn't that pedestrian hop on the sidewalk to avoid getting hit by the golf cart? Anyone?????????
No idea why they were there if there was a sidewalk. But if you feel that gives you the right to kill someone. "Hey, they were in the wrong so I hit them." Well, good luck with that in court.
Old 01-13-2024, 03:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
facing the traffic in the MMV
What is an MMV?
Old 01-13-2024, 03:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I have already said I would give way and avoid hitting a pedestrian. Did you read that part of my comments?

Here is more on this topic from a few years ago..........

Entitled walkers on paths
But you incorrectly feel that you have the right of way. You do not. You can play chicken with the intent of avoiding them. One slip of your hand (easy in the golf carts I've driven) and you hit them by accident. Just listen to what everyone is telling you. If you come across a bike or walker, just steer clear.
Old 01-13-2024, 04:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
WOW!!!!!!! Please stop driving!!!!!
Everyone is adamant that I am wrong in thinking golf carts have the right of way in a MMP, even when there is a sidewalk for pedestrians?

I've been driving for nearly 60 years and have a perfect driving record, (well, except for one tiny mishap on 441 in South Florida when I was having a Big Mac attack. Had a fender bender but it was NOT my fault). You want me to stop driving? I don't think so.
Old 01-13-2024, 04:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
Yup......I'm a woman and will always stay in my lane. I never swing wide on any road unless I'm about to hit an obstacle. Walkers should be the ones who yield to any moving vehicle.

I also never go over the center line when driving an automobile. That is dangerous. I will never understand why drivers move to the left of the center line when a golf cart is coming up on their right in the MMP. There is room for both of you unless you are driving a huge truck with a wide load.
I drive the MMPs and I walk them. When I am walking, which I do facing traffic, and I see a cart starting to give me a little more room than the absolute minimum space necessary to avoid sending me to the hospital, it is a comfort to me because it communicates to me that I have been seen and that the driver will avoid me. Likewise, when I am driving the MMP, and I see a walker coming my way, I return the favor. It's just a courteous thing to do to let the pedestrian know he/she has been seen and will not be hit.

When I'm driving my car on a roadway with a cart lane, and there is no oncoming traffic, I give the cart a little extra room. Doesn't cost me a thing, and makes life a little more comfortable for the cart. And, heaven forbid, should the cart driver's attention waver a tad, the extra 2 feet may be a life saver.

I encourage you to try to be a little more courteous. It won't cost you a dime and may avoid an accident.
Old 01-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
No idea why they were there if there was a sidewalk. But if you feel that gives you the right to kill someone. "Hey, they were in the wrong so I hit them." Well, good luck with that in court.
I have said I would give way to anyone who is stupid enough to remain in the path of my golf cart. What is it about those words that people seem to feel I would hit someone? I do feel it is the responsibility of the pedestrian to yield to oncoming vehicular traffic and that does include golf carts when walking on a MMP.

Tags
left, cart, carts, coming, observation

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.