Interesting MMP Observation

Old 01-19-2024, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Sorry I didn't interpret it that way. Like making the observation that men are generally taller than women doesn't infer that either sex is better or worse, just different in certain ways. A coin has a "heads" side and a "tails" side. Neither side is better or more valuable, but you will discern differences, and that doesn't mean you are a "coinist".
None of what you stated has any bearing on what I wrote and is a distraction from the actual topic at hand.

The sexist implication from the OP has no relevance to safety issues so, one can easily deduce that it may have been the actual motivation of their post to begin with. OP chucks an intentional flamethrower and got the reaction he or she wanted. Seen it a thousand times on comment threads.
Old 01-19-2024, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Agree with "just an observation". Too many people reading between the lines, maybe?
Yep!

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-19-2024, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Yes, but… there is a difference between attributes and behaviors. We are responsible for our own behavior. The coin is not.
Attributes may, in certain instances, effect behaviors. Taller people may step over a barrier while shorter people will walk around. As long as an observation of attributes or behaviors isn't used as justification that one is somehow better than the other, in my opinion, the observation doesn't mean one is racist, sexist, or any "ist" you choose. It is just an observation.
Old 01-19-2024, 11:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyDog View Post
None of what you stated has any bearing on what I wrote and is a distraction from the actual topic at hand.

The sexist implication from the OP has no relevance to safety issues so, one can easily deduce that it may have been the actual motivation of their post to begin with. OP chucks an intentional flamethrower and got the reaction he or she wanted. Seen it a thousand times on comment threads.
I went back to the original post. The first words are "my husband and I". The couple, apparently, both male and female made the same observations. This leads me to believe that their observations were anything you might interpret, but there was no sexism. Jmho.
Old 01-19-2024, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,022 Times in 1,748 Posts

Then I guess I would have to counter her observation, since she can get away with citing a few examples, then give me the same priviledge. While I am out walking, and that is every day, and I walk facing traffic, I have not encountered anyone not giving me berth. But in the case of some younger visitor drivers, they seem to slow down to snail’s pace as they pass me. This is particularly true of the daughter of the man who had brain surgery.

Anyways, there is a reason why we don’t tend to base most research strictly on anecdotal evidence. I am sure her personal observation was correct, but her conclusion regarding an entire gender, is not.

Last edited by Velvet; 01-19-2024 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-19-2024, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I went back to the original post. The first words are "my husband and I". The couple, apparently, both male and female made the same observations. This leads me to believe that their observations were anything you might interpret, but there was no sexism. Jmho.
It was an anecdotal claim made by the OP - nothing more. How much value does that actually have for you...what a stranger supposedly observes? And, in this absurdly long thread, no one has posited a valid reason why the sex of the driver is relevant.

People everywhere travel the same paths most often so, like I already stated, it is very possible that more than 50% of the "observations" were of the same 2 or 3 of women who live in that area too. If so, whoops, that discredits the entire sex-based contention which was irrelevant to begin with. Such a bunch of silliness but, that was probably the actual intent of the OP -- like I mentioned: just make a flamethrower comment to get jollies from the responses. It worked and was too easy.
Old 01-19-2024, 10:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
It was an anecdotal claim made by the OP - nothing more. How much value does that actually have for you...what a stranger supposedly observes? And, in this absurdly long thread, no one has posited a valid reason why the sex of the driver is relevant.

People everywhere travel the same paths most often so, like I already stated, it is very possible that more than 50% of the "observations" were of the same 2 or 3 of women who live in that area too. If so, whoops, that discredits the entire sex-based contention which was irrelevant to begin with. Such a bunch of silliness but, that was probably the actual intent of the OP -- like I mentioned: just make a flamethrower comment to get jollies from the responses. It worked and was too easy.
Personally, I still don't see the "flamethrower". But I do see a lot of people imagining the "flamethrower" and reacting. Too many people that think there is a sinister motive in a simple comment. Too many over sensitive people looking for things to be offended by, imagining conspiracies everywhere, looking for commies under their beds.
So much ado about nothing. Good Grief, Charlie Brown!
Old 01-19-2024, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Personally, I still don't see the "flamethrower". But I do see a lot of people imagining the "flamethrower" and reacting. Too many people that think there is a sinister motive in a simple comment. Too many over sensitive people looking for things to be offended by, imagining conspiracies everywhere, looking for commies under their beds.
So much ado about nothing. Good Grief, Charlie Brown!
I recommend not being a lawyer in your next life. Good night...
Old 01-20-2024, 12:29 AM
Veteran member

Could this be a learned response?

Men open doors for women and others. Seldom does a woman do the same.

Men stand up in a crowded restaurant filled with tables to allow others to pass through. Women scooch their chairs and themselves tightly towards the table without standing up.

Men allow others to go into an elevator or onto an escalator first. Women do not.

Men stop to help others lift overstuffed luggage into the overhead compartment. Women roll their eyes and are annoyed by the wait.

How many men have the larger bedroom closet? Adequate drawers or cabinet space?

I am sure there are other examples. But, you get the drift. It kinda seems men do not mind sharing space but women do.

Last edited by margaretmattson; 01-20-2024 at 12:52 AM.
Old 01-20-2024, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,022 Times in 1,748 Posts

So then let me tell you my experience. When a dear one passed away in my home in Mallory, the people who showed up at first were couples Aed unit, EMS etc. I was very grateful but I didn’t think I would get through the incident myself. From that day on the ladies came, ladies who introduced themselves with business cards etc as living on my street. Ladies I have never met before.

They brought prepared food, came to the door to ask me to go for a walk around the block with their little dog nudging me to come. Every day! Then they noticed I had nothing to do (I couldn't I was in shock.) They invited me to their house, introduced me to their games, one of them acted as a teacher because I have never play MahJongg before. They invited me to play golf with them regularly, luncheons etc. Every holiday there were invitations so I would not be left alone. Go shopping together. Basically have fun together. They were, without exception, all women. Some are married, some are widows. But they are all females. This behavior has continued for 2 years and it doesn’t look like it’s going to end.
Old 01-20-2024, 10:00 AM

Quote:
So then let me tell you my experience. When a dear one passed away in my home in Mallory, the people who showed up at first were couples Aed unit, EMS etc. I was very grateful but I didn’t think I would get through the incident myself. From that day on the ladies came, ladies who introduced themselves with business cards etc as living on my street. Ladies I have never met before.

They brought prepared food, came to the door to ask me to go for a walk around the block with their little dog nudging me to come. Every day! Then they noticed I had nothing to do (I couldn't I was in shock.) They invited me to their house, introduced me to their games, one of them acted as a teacher because I have never play MahJongg before. They invited me to play golf with them regularly, luncheons etc. Every holiday there were invitations so I would not be left alone. Go shopping together. Basically have fun together. They were, without exception, all women. Some are married, some are widows. But they are all females. This behavior has continued for 2 years and it doesn’t look like it’s going to end.
Thats so good to hear, I'm glad you're doing well.
And you're correct, as a general rule women are more compassionate than men. That's just a fact.

Now before anyone says anything, there's always going to be exceptions.
Old 01-20-2024, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
So then let me tell you my experience. . . . .From that day on the ladies came, ladies who introduced themselves with business cards etc as living on my street. Ladies I have never met before.

Velvet, you are blessed with the neighborhood support, and I think that is one of the wonderments of TV. I hope it continues, as you stated.. . .

However, men performing this activity would be very strange for both you and any of the males' significant others. . . new, previously unknown men inviting recently bereaved women to events can lead to all the wrong conclusions, appear threatening or wanting to take advantage of a situation, etc. I would say that there are certainly males who could do this but only if a family friend to both you and your loved one prior to the event.

I do not think that this is a fair comparison for this thread, however, as how males and females interact on personal levels, which the OP was not discussing, is a very complex topic. .

However, my disagreement is in no way critical of your experience, but more thankful and awestruck that TV has level of support and compassion amongst its residents. . which is what i saw during my lifestyle visit of only a week. . and we bought into it for the opportunities of what you have experienced.

peace
Old 01-20-2024, 12:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
I recommend not being a lawyer in your next life. Good night...
Good day, MD. Believe me, I won't! I did, in my college life study law for two years. Lawyers make a living out of making mountains out of mole hills, or vice-versa. I chose a different direction. (Too inclined to tell my potential client to "grow up".)

Tags
left, cart, carts, coming, observation

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.