Interesting MMP Observation

Old 01-13-2024, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,172 Times in 1,932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
But you incorrectly feel that you have the right of way. You do not. You can play chicken with the intent of avoiding them. One slip of your hand (easy in the golf carts I've driven) and you hit them by accident. Just listen to what everyone is telling you. If you come across a bike or walker, just steer clear.
So, what you are saying is the pedestrian has the right of way in a MMP? I honestly did not realize that. That is the most ridiculous rule/law, IMHO. Anyone knows that the pedestrian is fighting a losing battle by remaining in the path of an oncoming vehicle. If I were a pedestrian, I would certainly move out of the way of a vehicle that could kill me. I would not ever trust any driver to navigate around me. It is all about safety and that is the safety of the vulnerable person who is on foot and does not have a vehicle to protect them.

BTW...... I NEVER walk in a MMP. That is dangerous as hell.
Old 01-13-2024, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,022 Times in 1,748 Posts

I’d probably either expect the walkers to move, since they are more vulnerable, or I come to a dead stop and see what the walker and sometimes their dog, is going to do.
Old 01-13-2024, 04:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I drive the MMPs and I walk them. When I am walking, which I do facing traffic, and I see a cart starting to give me a little more room than the absolute minimum space necessary to avoid sending me to the hospital, it is a comfort to me because it communicates to me that I have been seen and that the driver will avoid me. Likewise, when I am driving the MMP, and I see a walker coming my way, I return the favor. It's just a courteous thing to do to let the pedestrian know he/she has been seen and will not be hit.

When I'm driving my car on a roadway with a cart lane, and there is no oncoming traffic, I give the cart a little extra room. Doesn't cost me a thing, and makes life a little more comfortable for the cart. And, heaven forbid, should the cart driver's attention waver a tad, the extra 2 feet may be a life saver.

I encourage you to try to be a little more courteous. It won't cost you a dime and may avoid an accident.
I have seen a very near collision when a car crossed over the center line of a roadway to give a person some "breathing room" and then another car was making a turn onto that roadway, and nearly hit the guy who was being courteous. I will continue to stay in my lane when in an automobile unless there is an oversized vehicle that would need more room.
Old 01-13-2024, 04:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
So, what you are saying is the pedestrian has the right of way in a MMP? I honestly did not realize that. That is the most ridiculous rule/law, IMHO. Anyone knows that the pedestrian is fighting a losing battle by remaining in the path of an oncoming vehicle. If I were a pedestrian, I would certainly move out of the way of a vehicle that could kill me. I would not ever trust any driver to navigate around me. It is all about safety and that is the safety of the vulnerable person who is on foot and does not have a vehicle to protect them.

BTW...... I NEVER walk in a MMP. That is dangerous as hell.
Yes indeed it can be very dangerous for pedestrians due to certain drivers,, suggest you research traffic laws
Old 01-13-2024, 04:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I think you are misunderstanding who is the “stupid one”.
Have you heard of Morgan & Morgan? Get a lawyer if they call…………
The stupid one is the person who is on foot and will not move out of the way of a moving vehicle. Period.
Old 01-13-2024, 04:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
What is an MMV?
Meant to say MMP. But you knew that already.
Old 01-13-2024, 04:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,022 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
The stupid one is the person who is on foot and will not move out of the way of a moving vehicle. Period.
Yes, but I still wouldn’t run them down. I have a neighbor who had brain surgery and I never what direction he is going to walk in or drive his cart next. So I always assume that the person not getting out of the way of the cart is not actually sensible - I guess I used to teach young children and I just think of these poor people the same way.
Old 01-13-2024, 04:47 PM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=coffeebean;2290829]So, what you are saying is the pedestrian has the right of way in a MMP? I honestly did not realize that. That is the most ridiculous rule/law, IMHO. Anyone knows that the pedestrian is fighting a losing battle by remaining in the path of an oncoming vehicle. If I were a pedestrian, I would certainly move out of the way of a vehicle that could kill me. I would not ever trust any driver to navigate around me. It is all about safety and that is the safety of the vulnerable person who is on foot and does not have a vehicle to protect them.

BTW...... I NEVER walk in a MMP. That is dangerous as hell.[/QUOTE)
The reason the pedestrian has the presumed right of way is to make the driver of the vehicle , a much faster, heavy more careful regarding the much more fragel human being , not to encourage the pedestrian to play chicken with a vehicle
Old 01-13-2024, 04:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Walkers should yield. Period. What is so difficult about that? Smart walkers know they will not be the victor when confronted with a vehicle, be it a golf cart or an automobile.
You may not have meant it to sound as such, but I interpret your post as threatening and bullying. "I'm bigger and I will crush you if you don't get out of my way!"
Old 01-13-2024, 05:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Everyone is adamant that I am wrong in thinking golf carts have the right of way in a MMP, even when there is a sidewalk for pedestrians?

I've been driving for nearly 60 years and have a perfect driving record, (well, except for one tiny mishap on 441 in South Florida when I was having a Big Mac attack. Had a fender bender but it was NOT my fault). You want me to stop driving? I don't think so.
"Not my fault!" Yeah! That's what they all say. 😉
Old 01-13-2024, 05:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Everyone is adamant that I am wrong in thinking golf carts have the right of way in a MMP, even when there is a sidewalk for pedestrians?

I've been driving for nearly 60 years and have a perfect driving record, (well, except for one tiny mishap on 441 in South Florida when I was having a Big Mac attack. Had a fender bender but it was NOT my fault). You want me to stop driving? I don't think so.
Where is there MMP that is adjacent to a sidewalk? Or you confusing a cart lane on a street with a MMP?
Old 01-13-2024, 05:05 PM
Sage

I've looked for information that says pedestrians have right of way on a MMP. I do not see that in the information I have researched. See if you can find it in this info.............
Multi-Modal Path Information and Safety

I looked here too to see if the law states pedestrians have the right of way in a Multi Modal Path. I cannot find it...........
Florida Law 316.130 – Pedestrian Traffic Regulations

Please, if you have a link that states the law says pedestrians have right of way in a multi modal path, please post the link. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2024, 05:08 PM
Sage

Quote:

The moment a pedestrian steps off the curb, drivers better make sure you don't hit them. You don't know why they did it, but there could be a good reason. You have the obligation to avoid hitting them.
Old 01-13-2024, 05:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Where is there MMP that is adjacent to a sidewalk? Or you confusing a cart lane on a street with a MMP?
Odell Circle has sidewalks on one side of the roadway, right next to the MMP. That is where a pedestrian was killed when walking in the MMP. The woman was walking with a couple of friends and there was no room for her on the sidewalk as they walked abreast. She walked in the MMP and was hit by a golf cart.
Old 01-13-2024, 05:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
The moment a pedestrian steps off the curb, drivers better make sure you don't hit them. You don't know why they did it, but there could be a good reason. You have the obligation to avoid hitting them.
Of course, I will avoid hitting a pedestrian who is in the MMP. I never said I would not. It is just much safer for any pedestrian to get out of the way of any moving vehicle. Seems that is what I was taught by my parents when I was a kid.

Tags
left, cart, carts, coming, observation

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.