Internet providers in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2020, 09:02 AM
Default Internet providers in The Villages

Who are the internet providers for The Villages? Seems like we only have one for all of the Village people? Xfinity /Comcast only has one office inThe Villages and it is always more than crowded. Took my neighbor over two and one half hours to get assistance.
Is this a Monopoly?
Old 11-26-2020, 09:11 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Depends on where you live. We have Spectrum. Love the service & speed & price.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

As posted above depends on where you live. Comcast a few years ago was voted worse customer service in America, so what did they do, not improve their service but change their name to XFinity. Out of sight out of mind.

For internet Century Link is available in most areas of TV. I've had them since July 2011 in the vicinity of Seabreeze/Sterling Hgts Rec Centers. I've had one outage in 9-1/2 years and I pay $49 a month guaranteed for life for 100 mbps for fiber optic, it actually tests out at 80 most anytime of the day, more than enough speed for what need. I have no modem, plug my computer or router directly into the wall jack.

Below 466A you can also get Spectrum for TV and internet, they are compared to Comcast but has different pricing and channels. I've heard their price goes up a lot after awhile.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:48 PM
Default "Comcast worse provider"

As stated as a response, John mentioned Comcast as the worst internet provider in The Villages.....that brings up a problem! Seems like The Villages has somewhat of a monopoly regarding this situation. If you were here several years ago you may remember how Comcast got their foot in the door with The Villages, offering "free" subscriptions for tee times and related internet associated connections.....maybe this is why they can do what they wish and buyer beware!
Where else can I go?? PS, th above mentioned "provider" has only ONE storefront for the entire Villages....over 125,000 people.......
Old 11-26-2020, 01:51 PM
Default There are many more providers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladila2 View Post
As stated as a response, John mentioned Comcast as the worst internet provider in The Villages.....that brings up a problem! Seems like The Villages has somewhat of a monopoly regarding this situation. If you were here several years ago you may remember how Comcast got their foot in the door with The Villages, offering "free" subscriptions for tee times and related internet associated connections.....maybe this is why they can do what they wish and buyer beware!
Where else can I go?? PS, th above mentioned "provider" has only ONE storefront for the entire Villages....over 125,000 people.......
When we arrived in 2016 there were several, and several had offices on 441/27 in a strip mall behind McDonalds (I think the mall is not owned by the Developer). We used Centurylink which still exists, it merged with Directv for TV content, but I don't think that requires a dish, rather delivered Diretv content over wire. They had an office near Micheals in the strip mall where Target is located off 441/27. Then Comcast which you seem to have found. Then we switched to Directv with a dish for a short period, and that works fine. Then there was Time-Warner which is now Spectrum. You can go to all of their web sites to see if they have coverage in your exact location (and where their stores might be located). But there is not a monopoly, in fact, compared to other cities, we have several choices which is nice.

You can do the investigation and ordering online or via phone. No need for a store.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:59 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Who are the internet providers for The Villages? Seems like we only have one for all of the Village people? Xfinity /Comcast only has one office inThe Villages and it is always more than crowded. Took my neighbor over two and one half hours to get assistance.
Is this a Monopoly?
There are a few other choices, frankly, I've tried them all through the years and always come back to Comcast Xfinity for dependability, speed, and for convenience too ! Comes at a high price, but, I have never found the "competition" to be very competitive either, they all play the price raise game ! I dropped cell service with Sprint and took Comcast offer of free cell service for their existing customers.... NOT having a cell phone bill each month for us kind of makes up for their nearly $150 monthly price for TV, internet, phone and now cell phone. Their cell service is REALLY dependable, very happy with that and the price is sure right ! The most we've ever gone over on the data was $11 as most of the time the phone connects to one of their thousands of hot spots. Even works well abroad ! Surprise !
Old 11-26-2020, 05:46 PM
Gold member

Comcast Internet (average 117 mbps) only $40/mo ( $50 less $10 for auto pay). DirecTv - 5 Tv’s $122/mo.( negotiating price every year). I want the recording capabilities of DirecTv to watch what I want when I want). Amazon Prime Streaming with Firestick plus a couple streaming apps downloaded to Firestick. Cell phone w/Cricket Wireless, unlimited T/T/D for $25/mo.(our kids/grandkids add 4 more lines at $25 each).
Old 11-26-2020, 05:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

3yrs with ComCrap/Xfinity (internet & TV) and never a problem. If you know how to play the game you can keep your rates low, I am on a high speed internet tier (400+Mbps) and low end TV package.Not crazy about their DVR's (DirecTV was always my favorite for hardware since I worked for them for a number of years) but a close second. Here in Amelia there really aren't any good choices for internet speed. I tried Century Link for literally 6 hours and went back to Comcast. Best CL could offer here was 25Mbps DSL (circa 1990) and if I got above 4Mbps I was lucky. They (CL) have fiber on the other side of 466A for GIG speeds but not here while Xfinity has GIG if you want to pay the price.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 11-26-2020 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Have had Spectrum for the 6 years we have lived here. Reliable and fast. We also have phone service. It does require a phone call every year to negotiate (as does xfinity). We are between 466A and 44 so some neighbors have xfinity and have had issues with service outages. It all depends on your tolerance and expectations. We also switched to Spectrum Mobile from Verizon...since we have internet from Spectrum the mobile service saves between 30 - 44 dollars month depending on gigs used.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-27-2020, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Is this a Monopoly?
We are very happy with Dish
Old 11-27-2020, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
As posted above depends on where you live. Comcast a few years ago was voted worse customer service in America, so what did they do, not improve their service but change their name to XFinity. Out of sight out of mind.

For internet Century Link is available in most areas of TV. I've had them since July 2011 in the vicinity of Seabreeze/Sterling Hgts Rec Centers. I've had one outage in 9-1/2 years and I pay $49 a month guaranteed for life for 100 mbps for fiber optic, it actually tests out at 80 most anytime of the day, more than enough speed for what need. I have no modem, plug my computer or router directly into the wall jack.

Below 466A you can also get Spectrum for TV and internet, they are compared to Comcast but has different pricing and channels. I've heard their price goes up a lot after awhile.
John W, is that ($49/100mb) the lower/lowest tier? I have fiber here(preowned), near you, but I only need half that speed? TIA.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:09 AM

I drive down to Leesburg to the Xfinity office there and wait was minimal
Old 11-27-2020, 06:16 AM

What village do you live in?
Old 11-27-2020, 06:28 AM

As a new Villager as of last week, I stopped by the Comcast/Xfinity office (across from Home Depot, still learning the area) desperate to sign up for internet and TV programming service. So I put my name on the list to be seen. I peeked inside to only see 3 people working (two of which were standing around doing nothing but holding a Ipad). After waiting for 15 minutes and noticing the 10 people in front of me never got the call yet, I asked the young lady if she could estimate the time my name would be called. She replied with it could be 2-3 hours to be seen. Needless to say, I was not waiting 2-3 hours and thinking if I signed up with COMCAST and had a problem, what kind of response would I get? I went to the Spectrum office who luckily services my area. I was seen right away and was out the door in 10 minutes. So I hooked up the equipment and it was not working. I thought well getting this problem fixed is going to be a nightmare. I called the 1-800 number somewhere around 3PM and they had a technician out the next day at 8AM. He fixed the problem in 15 minutes. I may be missing something Spectrum vs Comcast but with Spectrum customer service will not be one of them.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:33 AM
Default YouTube TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
3yrs with ComCrap/Xfinity (internet & TV) and never a problem. If you know how to play the game you can keep your rates low, I am on a high speed internet tier (400+Mbps) and low end TV package.Not crazy about their DVR's (DirecTV was always my favorite for hardware since I worked for them for a number of years) but a close second. Here in Amelia there really aren't any good choices for internet speed. I tried Century Link for literally 6 hours and went back to Comcast. Best CL could offer here was 25Mbps DSL (circa 1990) and if I got above 4Mbps I was lucky. They (CL) have fiber on the other side of 466A for GIG speeds but not here while Xfinity has GIG if you want to pay the price.
You’d love the DVR with YouTube TV: unlimited capacity and no equipment needed.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, internet, providers, neighbor, crowded

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.