Internet Service in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 05-29-2023, 07:05 AM
Veteran member

In order of best technology/speed:

1. Quantum (CenturyLink) Fiber: Fiber has no degradation as user load increases.
2. Spectrum: Spectrum is a combination of Fiber and Cable, so performance will not be as good as pure Fiber.
3. Xfinity - Pure broadband cable. Performance drops as user load increases.
4. CenturyLink DSL: Any type of DSL is very slow compared to fiber or cable. Performance degrades quickly as distance to connection hub increases and as user load increases.

This listing has nothing to do with price - only addresses the best technologies and speeds.
Old 05-29-2023, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,740 Times in 5,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBrews View Post
In order of best technology/speed:

1. Quantum (CenturyLink) Fiber: Fiber has no degradation as user load increases.
2. Spectrum: Spectrum is a combination of Fiber and Cable, so performance will not be as good as pure Fiber.
3. Xfinity - Pure broadband cable. Performance drops as user load increases.
4. CenturyLink DSL: Any type of DSL is very slow compared to fiber or cable. Performance degrades quickly as distance to connection hub increases and as user load increases.

This listing has nothing to do with price - only addresses the best technologies and speeds.
Interesting, but totally irrelevant to most users. Most users care about price, reliability, and service. Also, if you have the Xfinity Internet service, you can buy the Xfinity Mobile cell phone service that uses the Verizon network for way less money than a direct account with Verizon. My cell phone bill is only $13.60 per month.
Old 05-29-2023, 07:17 AM
Default Verizon

I got Verizon free for a year then $25 month. Free modem. About 200 mbs.
Old 05-29-2023, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobuck827 View Post
Not entirely true, Quantum/CenturyLink is not available in the Village of Monarch Grove.
Not available in my part of St. John's either.
Old 05-29-2023, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathe View Post
I got Verizon free for a year then $25 month. Free modem. About 200 mbs.
We tried Verizon's modem box in a trial. We never got above about 80 mbps which is quite slow by today's standards. It also disconnected a lot no matter what area of the house we put it in. Even at cheap it was not worth it. Good to hear you are happy.
Old 05-29-2023, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

All services are good...until they're not.

We have xFinity, best plan they offer. About 5 days ago lightning hit somewhere close...don't quite know where but the flash and the boom happened almost simultaneously. Since then the service drops offline intermittently: at first, just after the flash, several times an hour; since then, maybe two or three times per day. Never for very long (maybe 1-2 minutes). In talking to others in the area, they're having the same issues.

Calls to Customer Service route to BFE and some person with English as a second language reading words off a screen.

When up and running their service is second to none; lightning-fast and ultra reliable. But this exact same thing happened last year at about the same time. Seems like they should be able to get their act together.

(Sigh....feel MUCH better now...)
Old 05-29-2023, 09:11 AM
Veteran member

Most internet providers do a decent job of providing internet services. If you can get a true fiber network provider, get them, stay away from any dsl provider.
The internet provider is only a small piece of the network you need to be concerned about. 99% of the homes have a terrible network setup in their house and probably don’t know what network speeds they are actually getting to each of their devices. You might pay for 1000Mb internet speed but you are probably getting a couple hundred Mb on your phones and tablets. So why pay for 1000Mb when you are getting 200Mb at your phones?
How you can tell if you are part of this 99% group, how many SSID’s do you have access to from your network installer? I bet 2 (which is the default) but you should only have 1. Another way to determine if you are in this group is to go into each room where you watch tv or use your phones/tablets/computers and check your internet speeds and if they are less than 80% of the speed you are paying for, you don’t have a good network setup. If you are paying for 1000Mb internet, then you should be getting at least 800Mb at your phone/tablet/computer (if your devices are fairly new)
Old 05-29-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Xfinity
Most expensive after contract expires.
Old 05-29-2023, 10:38 AM
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot View Post
Agreed it's Quantum Fiber.
I agree. We switched to Quantum. Fast reliable WIFI
with no issues.
Old 05-29-2023, 10:42 AM

I had the exact same lightning issue with Xfinity. Worked great for 2 years...then lightning hit my neighbors house. I stream TV...it started to buffer quite a bit. Had 3 (!!) different techs out. Never fixed. Switched to Spectrum. Working a lot better. Xfinity customer service is abysmal. You must go to either their 441 or Leesburg locations to get any real help. When I called one time they wanted to charge me to send someone out. Went to 441 store, they set up tech visit immediately and no charge. The Xfinity call center is possibly the worst phone experience EVER!! They changed their name from Comcast to Xfinity to better their image -- sure didn't fix their phone service one bit. Horrid! If Xfinity works, great...just don't have a problem.
Old 05-29-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrisMcKinley View Post
What is the best internet provider in The Villages?
I just went through this exercise. I went with Quantum Fiber. $70 (all normally hidden fees /taxes, installation, router included) all up. The service is over 900 mbs with no limits on concurrent connections and data usage.
Old 05-29-2023, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,740 Times in 5,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
Most expensive after contract expires.
I have never been without a contract. Yes, Xfinity is expensive if you don't have a contract.
Old 05-29-2023, 12:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Why? Unless you are moving around large files the bandwidth doesn't matter. For the vast majority of people, their largest bandwidth consumer will be video streaming. Hi-Def (1080p) consumes about 5 megabits per second. Most people pay for much more bandwidth than than need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjmglass View Post
I just went through this exercise. I went with Quantum Fiber. $70 (all normally hidden fees /taxes, installation, router included) all up. The service is over 900 mbs with no limits on concurrent connections and data usage.
Old 05-29-2023, 12:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quantum Fiber for $30 per month for 200 megabits per second up and down (much more bandwidth than we consume) with no contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have never been without a contract. Yes, Xfinity is expensive if you don't have a contract.
Old 05-29-2023, 12:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Most people can't consume more than a 5 or 10 megabits per second of bandwidth. The vast majority of people who pay for 1000 megabits per second are wasting their money.

[QUOTE=rsmurano;2221796]Most internet providers do a decent job of providing internet services. If you can get a true fiber network provider, get them, stay away from any dsl provider.
The internet provider is only a small piece of the network you need to be concerned about. 99% of the homes have a terrible network setup in their house and probably don’t know what network speeds they are actually getting to each of their devices. You might pay for 1000Mb internet speed but you are probably getting a couple hundred Mb on your phones and tablets. So why pay for 1000Mb when you are getting 200Mb at your phones?
How you can tell if you are part of this 99% group, how many SSID’s do you have access to from your network installer? I bet 2 (which is the default) but you should only have 1. Another way to determine if you are in this group is to go into each room where you watch tv or use your phones/tablets/computers and check your internet speeds and if they are less than 80% of the speed you are paying for, you don’t have a good network setup. If you are paying for 1000Mb internet, then you should be getting at least 800Mb at your phone/tablet/computer (if your devices are fairly new)[/QUOTE]
Closed Thread

Tags
internet, villages, service, provider

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.