Internet Service in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 05-29-2023, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Phones and tablets — T-Mobile. I regularly get about 500,000 Mbps. Their monthly fee is half of what I was paying Verizon.
Old 05-29-2023, 05:46 PM

I have Century like and if has been good for us.
Is you have a new computer, you be able to get 5g at now extra price and it is fast.
Frank Tibbetts
Old 05-29-2023, 06:44 PM

I live in a section of TV that has only Comcast and Centurylink DSL as wired services. I tried T-Mobile Home Internet and they had no service at certain times of the night. I would regularly have tv streaming drop out at 10:30 PM. During one summer I lost internet connection to my house for a month when I was up north. T-Mobile customer service said it was a wildlife problem in the tower.
When I returned I got Verizon Home internet for $25/month with all the discounts. During the year I've had Verizon there have been no drops. Between my TV antenna and Verizon (Wireless) Home Internet I have truly cut the cord. The speed is fast enough for the wife stream one channel and for me to stream another. I'm getting 157Mbps to the desktop on my Mac with 14ms Ping times using Speedtest.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:28 AM
Default Internet provider (thru cable) Depends where you live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrisMcKinley View Post
What is the best internet provider in The Villages?
Certain areas are [cable] covered by Comcast(Xfinity); others by Spectrum (the better deal). YOU don't get to choose. Then Tmobile is over a phone line / slower.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakerlee View Post
Certain areas are [cable] covered by Comcast(Xfinity); others by Spectrum (the better deal). YOU don't get to choose. Then Tmobile is over a phone line / slower.
This post is incorrect on almost all of it's points.

In Monarch Grove we have both Comcast and Spectrum available. We do "get to choose".

T-Mobile, which I have, is not "over a phone line" it is provided via the 5G cellular network. I consistantly receive download speeds in excess of 500Mbps so it is hardly "slower" than other providers.

Last edited by gobuck827; 05-30-2023 at 09:27 AM. Reason: addition.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:52 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,324 Times in 597 Posts

I have had both Spectrum and Xfinity. I had Spectrum the first year but I found that it wasn't that great. I had problems connecting to my phone on the house wifi. This happened several times a week. I also had problem with my Google Assistant connecting to the wi-fi. Because of these problems, about a year ago, I decided to switch to Xfinity. The wifi is stronger and faster and the current price is significantly lower than what I was paying with Spectrum.

However, my biggest problem with Spectrum is their cancelation policy. If you cancel in the middle of your billing cycle, they do not pro-rate the bill. Instead, you are required to pay for the entire month. There have been class actions and some states (not including Florida) have passed laws making this illegal. If you are going to cancel, make sure you cancel in the last week of your billing cycle. If you are a day late, you pay for the entire month! Spectrum claimed that the no-refund policy was for the consumer's benefit because it made the bills "easier for subscribers to understand."

Maine requires cable companies to pro-rate final bills.

Office of the Maine AG: News & Reports
Old 05-30-2023, 01:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Where do you live? There are several internet providers in The Villages but they do not all provide service everywhere. If you have access to QuantumFiber (aka CenturyLink via fiber to the house) then they would be a good choice. You can use any router with their service and they are currently at $30 per month for 200 megabits per second up and down.
Agreed! I just switched from Xfinity and have better performance at a lower price. The Quantum WiFi pods can be rented for 2 for $15 per month. I decided to go this way for a while and then purchase my own router. Total, all in, $45.
Closed Thread

Tags
internet, villages, service, provider

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.