Internet in the villages

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2014, 09:16 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
Tom, that 62 channels is high def or just digital?

What channels are included in those 62?

Can we get faster than 25mbps (higher fee) and still get the 62 included without contract?
25Mbps is the slowest Internet available through Comcast. $10 more will get you the 50Mbps Blast service or you can get the Extreme 105+Mbps for another $10.

Indy, take the cable from your wall and plug it straight into the back of the TV. Scan for channels. All the majors are high definition. They are the dot 1 channels. Example: NBC is 2.1 in 1080i HD, 2.2 is WESH-ME it shows old movies in 480i. 6.1 is CBS 1080i, 35.1 is Fox in 720p HD. You also get the Villages channel, NASA and a bunch more. Check it out...

Call or txt anytime @ (352) 388-1677

Tom@VillagerAV.com
Old 11-26-2014, 09:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagesAV.com View Post
25Mbps is the slowest Internet available through Comcast. $10 more will get you the 50Mbps Blast service or you can get the Extreme 105+Mbps for another $10.

Indy, take the cable from your wall and plug it straight into the back of the TV. Scan for channels. All the majors are high definition. They are the dot 1 channels. Example: NBC is 2.1 in 1080i HD, 2.2 is WESH-ME it shows old movies in 480i. 6.1 is CBS 1080i, 35.1 is Fox in 720p HD. You also get the Villages channel, NASA and a bunch more. Check it out...
Thanks, Tom. I will give it a shot. I thought we had to use those itty bitty black boxes.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:46 AM
Default Internet

Quote:

How do you order the $29 internet from Comcast?I looked on line and could not see the $29 offer.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:50 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Call me...

Call or txt anytime @ (352) 388-1677

Tom@VillagerAV.com
Old 11-28-2014, 09:58 AM
Location: Rockville, MD and Sawgrass Villas, Village of St. James

In Maryland Comcast made all channels proprietary. You can't get any channels without an adaptor. I would guess they will do this all over eventually.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:38 AM
Gold member

Brighthouse (south of 466a) 22.86 down and 2.34 up. Unless you are running a business the up link speed is not all that important. Price is ok to.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:29 AM
Default Comcast internet

Quote:
You can't beat Comcast for reliability, speed or price. Love them or hate them, their products are the best available.

New customers can get 25Mbps download / 5 Mbps upload performance service for $29 per month with no contract. With that service you can also get 62 channels (most in high definition) for free to all your TV's without paying for cable boxes in each room.

Call us for more information, we'll get you hooked-up.
TOM,
Thank you for your help.The internet tested at 30Mbps and the TV works great for the second bedroom.
I recommend Tom to all on TTOV If I ever need AV work done I will be calling Tom.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:40 AM
Gold member

Brighthouse is the way to go. Price and service (that includes friendly people!)
Old 01-09-2015, 07:46 AM
Veteran member

Comcast is the fastest,…..BUT they are out of control, providing services down our throats we don't need, and charging outrageous prices. As soon as i can find a internet provider, no TV, i will say goodby to comcast and have TV by air.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

There have been some recent threads on this. I have seen a couple of router hangs in the last couple of months and asked Century Link to take a look. They wound up replacing my router and in the process I asked them about any new "deals" as our 1 year "introductory deal" is going to end soon. By the way, they are very responsive to service calls and came out the next day. The net result is I found out that 100 megabit/sec (100 Mbps) is available if you have fiber to the house. A Century Link employee also posted that 1 gigabit (1000 Mbps or 1 Gbps) is also available. It will apparently take a couple of phone calls to make the 1 Gbps happen but it appears you can get it. I wound up getting a new deal for 40 Mbps that is $5/month less than I am currently paying. The 100 Mbps was more than I was willing to pay and I don't have a requirement for that much bandwidth even though I work from home.

If you really have a need for the fastest possible internet and live in an area with Century Link fiber to the house, then Century Link will provide the fastest if you can find the right person to put through an order for 1 Gbps. It is also surprisingly low cost - about $80/month plus taxes/fees for 1 Gbps, if I recall correctly. For those who don't keep up on this sort of thing, 1 Gbps is available in relatively few areas of the country. You would really need a pretty hardcore movie download habit (not video streaming) to see an advantage over more pedestrian internet speeds. Streaming Netflix video in Hi-Def only consumes about 3 Mbps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy steam View Post
What company do you feel has the best , fastest ,Internet in the villages?
Old 01-09-2015, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
There have been some recent threads on this. I have seen a couple of router hangs in the last couple of months and asked Century Link to take a look. They wound up replacing my router and in the process I asked them about any new "deals" as our 1 year "introductory deal" is going to end soon. By the way, they are very responsive to service calls and came out the next day. The net result is I found out that 100 megabit/sec (100 Mbps) is available if you have fiber to the house. A Century Link employee also posted that 1 gigabit (1000 Mbps or 1 Gbps) is also available. It will apparently take a couple of phone calls to make the 1 Gbps happen but it appears you can get it. I wound up getting a new deal for 40 Mbps that is $5/month less than I am currently paying. The 100 Mbps was more than I was willing to pay and I don't have a requirement for that much bandwidth even though I work from home.

If you really have a need for the fastest possible internet and live in an area with Century Link fiber to the house, then Century Link will provide the fastest if you can find the right person to put through an order for 1 Gbps. It is also surprisingly low cost - about $80/month plus taxes/fees for 1 Gbps, if I recall correctly. For those who don't keep up on this sort of thing, 1 Gbps is available in relatively few areas of the country. You would really need a pretty hardcore movie download habit (not video streaming) to see an advantage over more pedestrian internet speeds. Streaming Netflix video in Hi-Def only consumes about 3 Mbps.
What number did you use to call Century Link? My last dealing with them regarding a router/ethernet issue was like a Comcast flashback. Started out online and then moved around with no resolution. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I called the repair number (800-788-3600). I have found them to be pretty good. If you can't get a resolution, ask for a supervisor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
What number did you use to call Century Link? My last dealing with them regarding a router/ethernet issue was like a Comcast flashback. Started out online and then moved around with no resolution. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,336 Times in 874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
Brighthouse is the way to go. Price and service (that includes friendly people!)
I agree......very responsive, great quality, download up to 100MB. Wouldn't touch Comcast ever.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-09-2015, 10:01 PM
Veteran member

there is a lot of Comcast bashing here with NO detail. What is the issue, they have the best price for basic cable 45 channels and internet by far.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.